“Cerro Chato Hike Tried to Kill Us!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cerro Chato (Chato Volcano)

Cerro Chato (Chato Volcano)
Book In Advance
More Info
$85.00*
and up
Two Volcano Extreme Hike in La Fortuna
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Cerro Chato Hike Tried to Kill Us!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

It's a wonderful, beautiful hike and well worth the agony going up. We started from the waterfall side (after going up and down the steep staircase of the waterfall). We didn't take the strenous hike warning very seriously as we are avid hikers and find that ratings are usually overestimated. Not in this case. It was very steep. If there is a stairmaster in Hell....this must be what it feels like. Still, it is worth it all. It's beautiful once you reach the top and down to the lake. We felt a great sense of accomplishemnt once finished. Pause along the way to enjoy the monkeys, variouse birds and frogs (thankfully no snake sightings).

Visited July 2012
5 Thank BLKNMe

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Central Penna
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Not for the feint of heart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

If you start this hike from the Arenal Observatory Lodge property, it is one bugger of a hike. Its beautiful, but taxing.

Visited June 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Tough! After your body recovers, you'll be glad you did it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was advertised as a strenuous hike, so we went into it with our eyes wide open. My wife and I are in our early 40s and in decent shape, but we live in Iowa and don't have much opportunity to climb mountains in tropical weather. IMHO, unless you do this regularly, you're not really prepared. We were extra not prepared with my wife wearing Chaco sandals and me having an injured ankle. But we persevered and it was totally worth it despite my wife's blisters and my swollen and sore ankle. I had trouble with the elevation gain (again, I'm from Iowa) so we stopped fairly often going up, but it was nice to pause and take in the forest. in fact, my only regret is really that the hike itself was so tough and required so much concentration that I didn't get to take in as much of the forest as I would have liked. We did look around more at the top around the crater and also some on the way down, but going up required my full focus on the trail. Despite my own personal difficulties, I'm really glad that I hiked Cerro Chato - it was one of the highlights of our trip. We were also really happy with our guide, Pedro, from Jacamar Naturalist Tours.

3 Thank mizzou_rick
Yardley, Pennsylvania
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Tough Hike”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

I know, you will read this and say : it will be piece of pie for me. That is what I thought when I read the reviews hahahah
it is difficult.
I thought would be so easy... we parked at the observatory. I jogged until the bottom of the mountain and waited for my husband there (could not be hard, I run about 30 miles a week). I was mistaken. the 1300 m hike was steep and a tough workout even for us.
The good news: the way back is a piece of cake since it is all down hill :)
I would do it again, however, if you are not in good physical shape I would not recommend it

3 Thank betinalew
Long Beach, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Extreme awesome & challenging”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Absolutely gorgeous hike - it's impossible for me to really believe it's only 1 mile up and 1 mile down though, it took us HOURS.

I'm an (active) amputee and had to work HARD to make it - even with a walking stick and a guide.

The 3 days of soreness after the hike were totally worth it. The views of the town and of the volcano are breathtaking, and if you're brave enough to swim in the crater with a few leeches, it's even more incredible. Bring water and lunch for your rest halfway through - don't miss it!

PS: We booked this hike through Costa Rica Descents, they are fantastic guides and can point out all kinds of birds and have an endless supply of info about the forest. You can do it on your own but you won't get as much out of it.

4 Thank Ariel R