“Yum!”

Cascajo's del Arenal
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Very friendly people. Good choice of typical food- we had a nice fish. Quite place. You sit outside under a wooden roof.
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We drove by this place a few times on our way to/from the attractions at Arenal, but were unsure since it often looked empty. When we finally decided to check it our, we were greeted by friendly staff and served some of the freshest, most delicious food in the area. I started with a batido, my bf and I split the ceviche (YUM!), I had a rice dish and my boyfriend had a steak... everything was beyond our expectations. The Arenal area is full of tourist traps and places catering to the American taste buds, but this place was authentic and probably the best meal that we had while in the area. The steak was exceptionally memorable (I mean, everything is local and grass fed!!! c'mon! doesn't get fresher than this). If you are in the area and pass by, then definitely stop by and have a delicious meal here.

1  Thank JSigal5

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We pasted this restaurant as we headed to our hotel. I took note as it had a local look to it. It is an restaurant that is open to the outside. We stopped for lunch there. We both had the rice dishes. Mine was the three meat and my wife had the shrimp. Both were excellent. The wait staff was personable and prompt. We are considering going back for dinner.

1  Thank rtjpl
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Go there for their Lava steak as it is so tender and delicious. The cierviche is made from sea bass. Wow! The server was excellent for these suggestions. The restaurant is open air but so enjoyable. PS. Be sure to have the vegetables.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Started off with a papaya juice which was the best I've had in CR. The mountain rice is a great option for vegetarians and the garlic sea bass is one of the best in Costa Rica. The food was presented nicely and the service is very attentive. Overall an exceptional dining experience, we'll definitely be recommending Cascajo's del Arenal to all our friends!

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in here on our way to the sky tram after the hotel recommended this place. Best ceviche ever! We tried ceviche at a bunch of places our entire trip and this was by far the best. They make yummy fresh smoothies that make for a refreshing drink in the heat of the Caribbean
For the main course my husband and I both got the cascado - mine with veggies (wanted something light for lunch) and my hubby got the cascado with pescado - sea bass fillet. Both dishes were amazing and really large portions. Mine came with sautéed vegetables, a salad, plantains, price of cheese, a hearts of palms ratatouille, an egg and a generous portion of rice and beans.

Total bill - 2 drinks, 2 large entrees and a ceviche - $37 with gratuity