“GREAT GETAWAY FOR THE FAMILY”
Review of Recreo

Recreo
Reviewed January 22, 2010

Our group of myself and my wife and our three kids (16, 10, 9) visited Recreo the last week of August. It was the "rainy season" but only rained once during the day and once at night. Our family wanted to go on an adventure for vacation and found Recreo searching the internet. Our family stayed in Villa #10. It is on top of the mountain and has gorgeous sweeping views of the ocean from every room and a very large lani. The villa was very big and comfortable and has alot of nice touches to get the local feel of the country. The outdoor pool was beautiful and we loved laying out getting tan in the 90 degree weather.

Our family loved the cook, she became part of our family for the week. All three of our kids loved the latin dishes, and Haiti always made our kids fresh fruit drinks. We all loved driving around on the golf cart, and the beach was only a few minutes away.

Our family went fishing one day and we all caught alot of different fish. Haiti was able to cook us a fish dinner that night from our catch and our kids actually ate fish that night for dinner.

We went on one excursion. We chose the BuenaVista excursion to the national park in Rincon. We did horseback riding, sulfur/mud baths, waterslide and zip-line. It was not to scary for any of our kids.

I have already recommended this place to a ton of my friends since I have been back. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank rockinray

Reviewed January 19, 2010

Thanks to great guidance from Christina, Recreo's Liaison, we were matched with a villa that was perfect for our family. Grandparents, with children and grandchildren,...seven in all. The support from staff was phenomenal. We received everything we needed before we knew we needed it. The views from the villa are magnificent. The private pool outside our door was gorgeous and refreshing. The kitchen was a perfect size for all our cooking needs. We had horseback riders in the group and they went on a ride; the horses were a perfect fit for the ability of the riders. The beach is relaxing and comfy lounge chairs are available. Need something? Ask, or wait for the staff to bring it to you. Recreo is a great get away. Once there...we never had to leave the site. It is important to enter into a space to prepare for an out of the way environment...dirt roads...once there, however, look forward to leisurely walks, fabulous views, warm waters, cozy nights. It is a great memory for our family.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Our week long vacation at Recreo was incredible! Based on the reviews and the pictures on this site we knew it would be beautiful but still our jaws hit the floor when we drove up and stepped into Villa #7. The views from every room of this villa are stunning from morning until night. It's the highest villa on Recreo's mountain - beautiful sunrises, incredible sunsets and nights filled with more stars than any of us had ever seen. The living area was tremendous yet warm and homey, the bedrooms were beautiful with their own balconies and spacious bathrooms. The kitchen was well equipped but if you're lucky enough to have Ernesto as your chef there will be no need to step in there, unless of course you'd like to get closer to the delicious aromas. He made us three amazing meals every day, desserts and some fruity cocktails! After each meal, we said...oh yes that was our favorite! Riccardo, the concierge, is a wonderful person who helped us with everything - from setting up day trips, spa services, taking us on a tour of the community, horseback riding, etc. - he seemed to anticipate all our needs before we even asked. Our sweet housekeepers, Edith and Emelia, kept the villa spotless and even did our laundry. We had wonderful massages from Angie outside the villa overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Raoul provided everything we needed down by the beach which was gorgeous, secluded and very peaceful. He also was the horseback riding guide. Christine filled us in about the area and thankfully told us not to miss the trip to Nicaragua. The entire staff at Recreo was simply amazing - warm, caring and eager to do whatever they could. Our day trip to Nicaragua was loooong but so glad we went. Our guides, Norman and Poppi picked us up at 6:30am for the trip which was quite a ride, a long wait at the border but totally worth it because we got to visit an active volcano, take a boat trip to Monkey Island, enjoy a nice lunch and tour Granada. We also had a great time on the day tour to zipline, horseback riding to a waterfall and mud springs. It was quite windy the first few days of our trip due to the cold front in the States and the power went out quite a bit. Honestly this didn't present a big problem because there are back up batteries in the villa, it gave us a chance to enjoy each other more and the stove is gas so Ernesto could still do his magic! I could rave about Recreo forever - we can't wait to return!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Recreo was out of this world! It really was a trip of a lifetime. Don't ask me how I found out about it but I spent several weeks researching the best place to go to for our honeymoon and boy was it worth it!

We stayed here for ten days and during that time we only saw one other honeymooning couple and a brother/sister who were holidaying together. So it was really felt secluded, private, quiet and personal.

We flew out 10th June and returned 21st June so the season was in-between dry and wet but actually the weather was perfect. It was at least 33 degrees Celsius in the shade everyday and I got a bit burnt so do wear protection. My husband was more careful. From the villa it's like you see two different seasons at the same time. On the left side there were constant lightning storms and on the right side overlooking the Pacific it was dry and sunny. Fascinating.

The villa (7) is, in our opinion, the best one out of the seven that have been built so far, sitting on top of the mountain that's wholly owned by Recreo. And the pool is COMPLETELY secluded along with the position of the hammock. When you’re in the pool you can see the Pacific - magical.

The master bedroom is to die for! The four poster bed had drapes so it was extra special and romantic! I had actually requested a room with a four poster bed and Christine, the sales woman, said that villa 7 was the only one that had one. I had loads of questions for Christine before booking the holiday and she patiently and honestly answered them all.

Our two concierges Raoul (Costa Rican) and Shane organised everything and things ran smoothly as promised and always punctual.

We had our own buggy which was such fun and a complete novelty. On the 2nd day the buggy conked out but it was immediately replaced with another one. From the time you hop into the buggy until you get off at the beach I would say the trip took about 5-6 minutes. It really is that close. The beach is secluded too and we only saw one couple once and the rest of the time we had the entire beach to ourselves!

The food was fab. Our chef was Corey, a lovely and sweet-natured woman who ensured our every need was catered. One time I was served egg that was runny which I’m not keen on. I didn't say anything but just put it aside hoping she wouldn't be offended. She saw the uneaten egg and asked if I would prefer it to be cooked more and she returned with the egg cooked the way I liked it! Ultimate service which I’ve never experienced anywhere else, not even in a restaurant!!

Each day the villa was cleaned from top to toe. If you had clothes that needed washing you merely left them on the floor for the housemaid to collect, wash and leave on your bed folded up!!

We did not see any spiders or any scorpions. We were careful about not leaving clothes lying around (unless they needed washing) or suitcases open like some people did. We did see baby lizards - really tiny and very cute that came out at night and ran across the ceiling while we were watching our DVDs. Rarely saw mosquitoes but did use the spray just in case. We saw lots of pretty red and purple crabs on the mountain sides and roads and spider monkeys in the trees.

The ONLY bug bear I have is that Villa 7 doesn't have air conditioning in the main lounge and dining area which did mean we were sometimes sweating while eating our food. However, we quickly got used to it. All the bedrooms do have air conditioning and all of them worked fine.

We did a few excursions: day trip to Nicaragua, Rincon, romantic boat trip, cultural tour all of which we highly recommend. We booked a couple of massages with Lucy at the spa and had a manicure/pedicure by our poolside – pure pampered bliss.

Well, I could go on with more good and wonderful things about this place but I hope I’ve given you a flavour of Recreo. So what are you waiting for? JUST GO!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dancingelephant66
Reviewed November 29, 2009

This was our second time here at house #10. We went in April of 2008 last time. Very different landscape. It was just after the rainy season so it was very lush. There were different birds. I loved the flock of green parrots that flew over our house daily. The monkeys were still visible even with the leaves. The staff was outstanding from the maid to the chef (Carlichi- who I would request if going down) and Ricardo who made sure that our day was planned. Lucie came to the room to give us a massage. Best massage ever.

Ricardo even came out on the boat with us who was captained by our Costa Rican local fisherman Jose. (Request Jose for the boat). Jose took us to a secluded area in Santa Rosa park and the kids and wife went fishing while I went spearfishing with Jose. Ricardo came on the boat and Jose had a first mate so I was comfortable leaving them on the boat to fish. Jose pointed out fish to shoot and I shot. 4 10 pound fish were speared. A 100 lb shark was shot but he got away. (not kidding).

Earlier in the week I went scuba diving in Playa Del Coco. It was ok. I also rented tanks from a local diver (Frank) and dove around Playa Rajada and El Jobo on my own. Not that great. Next time I will go with Frank to Santa Rosa.

I can't say enough about this vacation, Recreo and house #10. Thank you Recreo for another vacation of a lifetime!!! See next year.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Upon our arrival it was cloudy and started to rain. At which point I was thinking, oh my God, we're going to spend our entire trip inside because it's not gonna stop. Bummer. However, it stopped as quickly as it had started ;-) Our stay was a week long, and it rained more, but for very short periods of time. Overall, the weather was beautiful. When my boyfriend first told me about Recreo it almost sounded too good to be true. Even after booking our flight I was still wondering how good it would be. It turned out to be paradise. At certain times i felt bad for feeling so good :-) I loved it. There was plenty to do to keep busy, the weather fabulous, the beaches were pretty, I felt completely SAFE, and the natives were friendly and helpful. I fell in love with the resort's brown lab puppy and their brown and white horse. Such sweet animals. I love animals, but wouldn't call myself a dog lover, but after hanging with that cute pooch it made me want a dog of my own. Recreo also strives to be Ecoconscious, which wasn't a requirement for us, but it was definitely a really great plus. Also, to top that all off, we're Vegan. We (were fully prepared to eat avocados, beans, and rice for our entire stay) were slightly worried about variety and having something good to eat. Well, our chef, Heidi delivered. Everyday she whipped tasty meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. One of the things i enjoyed most about Recreo is their attention to detail/"small" things. I would highly recommend a stay for couples, a group of friends that are looking for a fun, private getaway, and families....well, I think that just about covers everyone. Do iiiiiit! You won't regret it.

"This location is perfect for elegant, beautiful, and breathtaking wedding photos"
-jumpedthebroom.com

Fun and inspiring travels to you,

LaRie

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2009

My husband and I spent a week at Recro mid-June for our Honeymoon. We were so blown away that my husbands colleague went in August - soley based on our praise - and also had an amazing time. Literally everyone I tell about Recreo tries to find a way to get there. Trust me... you wont be dissapointed.

Recreo is definately for someone who wants/needs to relax and enjoy truly beautiful nature and jaw-dropping sunsets.

Villa: We stayed at Villa #8. This is the most photographed villa for a reason... the modern yet comfy decor and the layout of this beautiful home is without dissapointment. We were blown away by every square foot - the pictures never do it justice. The master bedroom seemed like it was out of a movie. There is a huge four post canopy bed (SO COMFY) with sheers that you can close around you. The porch wraps around the bedroom and windows show you both the sunrise and the sunset each day. The pool was perfect and overlooked the sunsets every night. This villa is the highest on the mountain so you get the BEST views imagineable. There is even a hammok near the pool and many different seating options on each side of the house.

Food: You get a check off list to select anything you want to be in your fridge when you get there. We had bottles and bottles of every kind of alcohol and beer waiting for us too. All included. We actually took a picture of the two fridges which were stocked FULL of our food for the week.

Our personal chef was Haidi. She was phenomenal! If you book a trip make sure to ask if she is available. While she is still learning english our conceirge Ricardo was always available at least once a day to confirm meal times. The food was simply the best food I have ever had on a vacation. She made everything from lobsters to fish, steak to chicken. Each and every meal had a home made dessert which was out of this world! The first day that we got to Recreo she had a snack ready and waiting - mountains of delicious fruit (which we got with every meal) chip and fresh guacamole (best I have ever had). She was very sweet and humble - not imposing. She also packed us coolers with beer and snack for the beach each day as well. We cannot praise her enough!

Beach: Most days we saw no one else - a couple days there was maybe one other couple or a local family. The scene from the beach was out of a movie with a small island and the white sand wrapping around. Recreo has someone on the beach with a small trailor full of snorkels, flippers, boogie boards, etc which you can use whenever you like, free of charge. We snorckled and saw puffer fish, eels and schools of fish in the clean, warm waters.

Golf Cart: The golf cart was amazing. It really represented the freedom you have at Recreo to really do what you want. You get an electric golf cart to go to the tennis courts, the grounds, the beach, etc on your own. It was tons of fun.

Nicaragua Trip: We did the day trip to Nicaragua. At first we were a little hesitant and the boarder crossing was a little prickly but we are SO glad we took the trip. It felt like a life experience we would have regretted so badly if we had not done it. We were greeted by two guides - David and Augusto. David spoke perfect English and translated for Augusto. Their passion and love for their country was unbelievable. They took care of us like they would have family and were sincerely nice people. We got into their car and had a one on one tour through the major cities in the area. We saw many volcanos, the city of Granada (where we fed monkeys from a boat, got to shop and walk around on our own for a little, bought hand made cigars) They took us to the top of a volcano which had turned into a lake - they even had a band play for us a wedding gift. Along the tour they also bought us traditional wedding gifts from the indian village like mugs, desserts and a neclace. They were truly amazing and the trip was informative, fun and very well organized.

Rincon: This trip is to a national volcanic park. The trip is very affordable and you do canopy zip lining, tubing, a very tasty lunch, horseback riding and you finish with a trip to the mud baths to relax. The zip lining was great - It was high up into the canopy and there were about 20 different zip lines some across, some short, some straight down! You also rocked climbed a little to each podium. There were tons of guides that were very well trained. I felt totally safe and taken care of. The tubing was also amazing! There are very fun rapids and also some relaxing areas as well. If you get stuck someone is there to push you to the next part, or to guide you down a strong rapid safely. They took photos and video of the trip which you can also purchase too.

Weather: The weather was great - it rained at most for 5 minutes a day. It was very pretty when it rained. Sometimes there were lightning storms at night which were also very cool to watch over the ocean.

Massage: I got a massage one of our first days. The massuese was very good, spoke perfect english, and the massage room was very relaxing. I wanted to get a massage every day but unfortunately she got sick and we couldnt fit it into our schedule after that. Make sure you sit down and tell them ahead of time what days you want a massage because she has to travel from another town so they need a little notice.

Lastly my fondest memory is sipping a margarita at the pool watching the sunset every night.... such an amazing trip!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Province of Guanacaste
Blue Dream Hotel
Blue Dream Hotel
#1 of 4 in La Cruz
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
#9 of 706 in Province of Puntarenas
No photo provided
Hospedaje Cerro Pittier
#309 of 706 in Province of Puntarenas

Been to Recreo? Share your experiences!