“Third time and cannot wait to go back!”
Review of Recreo

Recreo
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wow! I am always so happy at Recreo. This year (our third) was no different. From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed. Norman picked us up at the airport. We could not wait to get to our new villa. We have previously stayed at villas 19 and 5. New this year was #6, a two-bedroom modern villa with floor to ceiling glass windows. It was gorgeous. All the views were wonderful. And, we had a new cook this year, Rosa. She was great! All meals were beautifully served and tasted wonderfully. The pool was always kept clean (even though leaves were always blowing in from the cool breezes) and the maid kept the villa sparkling.
From the massages on our porch to the ziplining excursion, all was perfect. We read, relaxed by the pool, rode our electric golf cart to the beach, and simply enjoyed the PURA VIDA experience of being at Recreo.
I am already dreaming of our next trip back!

Room Tip: We loved the views of villa #6. Every day was filled with gorgeous views of El Jobo and La Rajada b...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I can honestly say I have experienced the best vacation ever at Recreo. The staff (Carlos, Heidy, our housekeeper, drivers, tour guide), food, surroundings, beaches, villa, pool, etc., etc. were all fantastic. Recreo is remotely nestled in a mountain, with beautiful beaches a short distance away. I traveled with family and we were amazed to experience a "private" beach. I enjoyed my coffee poolside every morning, listening to the birds and watching for the monkeys. We had a great boat tour as well. The views are spectacular from the mountain top, esp. the sunsets. It is a piece of "heaven on earth". Although there was travel time involved to experience the Nicaragua excursion and the Rincon de la Vieja adventure, it was so worth it. Any one wanting to get away from it all, truly unwind and relax will find Recreo the perfect place to vacation. I am looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ginny P
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I loved my vacation at Recreo! I spent a quick four days there earlier this month with 6 family members. I was looking for a vacation getaway to escape and relax, and Recreo fit the bill. Rather than feeling like a tourist amidst throngs of other tourists, I felt like a VIP at my own resort. The best highlight for me was our chef, Heidy. I wish I had asked for recipes! Every single meal was restaurant-quality, and the fresh fruit, fruit juice and pico de gallo were amazing. I really, really enjoyed the food.

Our 4-bedroom villa was perfect: clean and simple and very comfortable. The open air common rooms were nice (bedrooms have air conditioning). The local beach was breathtaking and all ours. We did some kayaking but spent most of our time in the water. The mountaintop sunset (onsite) was the best I've ever seen, and we also enjoyed a morning boat trip around the bay where we saw a sea turtle and watched a whale playing. We did the day trip to Rincon de la Veija, which included horseback riding, a zip line tour, tubing, and thermal springs, not to mention a very good catered lunch. It was a full day and over an hour each way, but it was worth it for the fun activities and sightseeing. The tubing was a group activity with other customers, but the horseback riding and zip line was with our own little group, which was especially nice.

When I first saw the pool at the villa, I was underwhelmed by the small size, but once we turned on the jets and spent some time in it, it really turned out to be just right. (Definitely not a pool for swimming laps, though.) That 45 minute bumpy ride on the dirt road is not fun, but also not too big a deal and is worth it for the seclusion it guarantees. There were geckos and some bugs but they didn't bother me as long as they stayed out of my bedroom (which they did), and we had no problems at all with mosquitos. We could communicate well enough with Heidy and other staff members but I did find myself wishing my Spanish was better. We had no trouble communicating with our concierge, Carlos. His English is very good and he was incredibly helpful during our stay.

All in all, a wonderful getaway vacation that I highly recommend. I plan on going back someday!

PS, did I say how much I liked the food? :)

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Booking a vacation at the Recreo will not disappoint you in the least. It actually exceeded my expectations. From booking to management, right down to the staff, every person was professional and courteous. One person that really deserves a lot of credit is Christina ( who handled our booking and any questions we had). She was as professional as they come and very , very helpful through out the many months leading up to our vacation. (Thanks Christina).
Back to the vacation. The Recreo is a diamond in the rough. It is located off the beaten path in the small town of El Jobo. It is about one hour and forty- five minutes from the Liberia airport. About one hour on paved roads then about 45 minutes on a dirt road. (well worth the ride). The Recreo is nestled on a mountain with beautiful views of the pacific ocean. Playa Rajada and Playa Jobo ( beaches) can be seen from the Recreos Mountain top lookout area. This area provides beautiful views and a great place to view a stellar sunset.
Our Villa( #3) was very modern and private. Our plunge pool was a great place to hang out for snacks and drinks or just take a quick dip while we waited for breakfast or lunch.
Our chef Eblin was amazing. He created delicious meals based on our requests, and all of our food was local and fresh.
Not only did Eblin provide us with fantastic meals, he provided us with insight to the life and cultures of Costa Rica.
The main beach( Playa Rajada) is just minutes from Recreo , and is never crowded. Matter of fact, most days we felt like the only ones there.
There are many excursions you may take, all which are arranged by the Recreo. We recommend the Rincon De La vieja national park tour which includes zip lining, horseback riding, tubing, and mud baths in thermal pools All for $85 bucks. (transportation extra) also,we recommend the boat tour. This was a 2 hour minimum tour at $125 per hour. The fee is regardless of how many people go. We saw whales , mating sea turtles and caught Mahi Mahi (Awesome!)
My recommendation to any one consdering booking with Recreo would be, "what are you waiting for? But without question get the golf cart and the fully stocked groceries. The golf cart was worth every penny and there is only one small cantina in town ( 10 mins on cart) which is a great place to get a drink with locals. (who are very friendly). Also there is only one small store in town. You can pick up small grocery items , beer, toothbrushes, deodorant etc. Once again get the cart!
I also highly recommend the chef. You can spend more time enjoying all Costa Rica has to offer without worrying about having to get back and cook a meal. It will already be waiting for you when you arrive.
There are too many good things to tell about and none bad. This is an amazing place in an amazing country that will provide amazing memories. However, if your looking for an americanized ,hotel, lots of annoying people, crowded beach, chain restaurant type of vacation, this is not for you. The fun adventure and craziness is all up to you.
Oh and by the way, on your way from the Liberia airport, ask your driver to stop and get you pipas. They are more than worth the dollar.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I had the opportunity to spend a week at the Recreo Resort most recently. If I could describe it in one word, it would be "incredible." Recreo and its staff were top notch, extremely professional, and unbelievably accommodating. I was lucky enough to spend my vacation with 11 unbelievable individuals. Our guides fulfilled every one of our wants and needs. The property is beautiful; secluded enough to provide privacy, but close enough to the beach and local establishments. Golf carts provided us transportation to and from the beach, mountain top, and closest bar; which turned out to be one of the best experiences of our lives. Our chefs became our friends, and provided us with the most incredible meals I have ever had. The number one thing that may turn you away from Recreo is the distance it is from, well, everything. It is a rough two hour trip through rugged dirt roads to reach most tourist destinations. If you can manage that, the excursions are worth it. For under $100 each one of us was able to zipline, repel, climb a mountainside, ride horses through the jungle, tube through white waters, and end in the relaxing natural volcanic hot springs (after covering yourself in mud, which most of the girls enjoyed). The negatives (distance, lack of AC in certain areas of the villa) cannot even come close to the positives. I hope to return one day, knowing that I would have no questions about whether or not my vacation would be time well spent. I met great friends, experienced a whole new world, and had the time of my life.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We traveled to Recreo to share our anniversary with varied family members,so we had ages from young adults to senior citizens, and my mom was in a walking boot also due to a foot injury.
Recreo did nothing but make us feel comfortable and take care of needs we didn't even think of. On our first trip to the wonderful deserted beach, they brought us lunch and beach lounges, and when they saw my mom sitting in the golf cart because she couldn't get down into the lounge chair they brought her a upright dining chair to sit in!
The ocean kayaking was so much fun, as was all the excursions we went on,where again they were so thoughtful of nana's limitations. She especially loved the extra care she got from Carlos, who was very helpful to all of us,and thought of everything and offered suggestions as to our itinerary. We especially enjoyed the day at NIcaragua, and the day at Ricon de la Vieja where zip lining was a very memorable first for 3 of our group!
The food prepared by our chef Heidy, was varied and absolutely wonderful. The fresh salsa and guacamole were favorite snacks, and the fresh fruit served with every meal was fantastic, as was the divine desserts. We let them pick the menu for us, and they provided lobster tails and champagne for our anniversary dinner; but it was like eating out every night, not having to go out, and not having to decide on what to choose to eat, we had some thing different every night we were there.
Six of us got massages the day of arrival (2 different days) from Jennifer, to unkink our traveling muscles. Even after doing 3 in a row, the third massage was said to be as wonderful as the first one was. She was a dream, and it has to rate as one of the best massages I have ever had in my life.
There is so much to see and do, we were all excited by the monkeys we saw several times around our villa,and the private pool was so nice to use anytime we wanted to step outside!
Make sure to visit the mountaintop for the sunset, it was breathtaking!
One morning we took the most amazing boat ride, and watched a mother whale and infant play in the water for half an hour, it's like they were putting on a show just for us!
There is so much we didn't do that I can't wait to go back again. Thanks Recreo for the most memorable vacation of a lifetime!
Yes Recreo is secluded, but the personal attention you get makes you feel like this is your little piece of paradise, at a very lavish villa right in the heart of the jungle! I enjoyed this more than any vacation in a crowded resort where you are standing in line for the amenities we had right at our fingertips.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you want an out of the way, relaxing, fabulous vacation resort in Costa Rica, do yourself a favor and check out Recreo. I went with my wife and 10 of our closest friends. The staff at Recreo was more than accommodating. We had 2 chefs that made us breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday, a house-keeper somehow managed not to get anyone's laundry mixed up, our main-man Carlos, went way above what I would expect him to do to make sure we had absolutely the best time. They even provide an off-roading golf cart on steroids that was a ton of fun in itself.

Recreo offers access to some of the only white sand beaches in Costa Rica. One of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on. They have lots of stuff to do on the beach: snorkel, volleyball (they will set up and take down the net for you), body boards, football, frisbee, and a bunch of other stuff.

They set up excursions pretty easily, but beware that there is a 30-minute slow, bumpy ride on a dirt road to get out to anywhere else you may want to go.

You'll be able to relax and have a blast without a care in the world at Recreo.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple