“The Best Vacation Ever”
Review of Recreo

Recreo
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We traveled to Recreo to share our anniversary with varied family members,so we had ages from young adults to senior citizens, and my mom was in a walking boot also due to a foot injury.
Recreo did nothing but make us feel comfortable and take care of needs we didn't even think of. On our first trip to the wonderful deserted beach, they brought us lunch and beach lounges, and when they saw my mom sitting in the golf cart because she couldn't get down into the lounge chair they brought her a upright dining chair to sit in!
The ocean kayaking was so much fun, as was all the excursions we went on,where again they were so thoughtful of nana's limitations. She especially loved the extra care she got from Carlos, who was very helpful to all of us,and thought of everything and offered suggestions as to our itinerary. We especially enjoyed the day at NIcaragua, and the day at Ricon de la Vieja where zip lining was a very memorable first for 3 of our group!
The food prepared by our chef Heidy, was varied and absolutely wonderful. The fresh salsa and guacamole were favorite snacks, and the fresh fruit served with every meal was fantastic, as was the divine desserts. We let them pick the menu for us, and they provided lobster tails and champagne for our anniversary dinner; but it was like eating out every night, not having to go out, and not having to decide on what to choose to eat, we had some thing different every night we were there.
Six of us got massages the day of arrival (2 different days) from Jennifer, to unkink our traveling muscles. Even after doing 3 in a row, the third massage was said to be as wonderful as the first one was. She was a dream, and it has to rate as one of the best massages I have ever had in my life.
There is so much to see and do, we were all excited by the monkeys we saw several times around our villa,and the private pool was so nice to use anytime we wanted to step outside!
Make sure to visit the mountaintop for the sunset, it was breathtaking!
One morning we took the most amazing boat ride, and watched a mother whale and infant play in the water for half an hour, it's like they were putting on a show just for us!
There is so much we didn't do that I can't wait to go back again. Thanks Recreo for the most memorable vacation of a lifetime!
Yes Recreo is secluded, but the personal attention you get makes you feel like this is your little piece of paradise, at a very lavish villa right in the heart of the jungle! I enjoyed this more than any vacation in a crowded resort where you are standing in line for the amenities we had right at our fingertips.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you want an out of the way, relaxing, fabulous vacation resort in Costa Rica, do yourself a favor and check out Recreo. I went with my wife and 10 of our closest friends. The staff at Recreo was more than accommodating. We had 2 chefs that made us breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday, a house-keeper somehow managed not to get anyone's laundry mixed up, our main-man Carlos, went way above what I would expect him to do to make sure we had absolutely the best time. They even provide an off-roading golf cart on steroids that was a ton of fun in itself.

Recreo offers access to some of the only white sand beaches in Costa Rica. One of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on. They have lots of stuff to do on the beach: snorkel, volleyball (they will set up and take down the net for you), body boards, football, frisbee, and a bunch of other stuff.

They set up excursions pretty easily, but beware that there is a 30-minute slow, bumpy ride on a dirt road to get out to anywhere else you may want to go.

You'll be able to relax and have a blast without a care in the world at Recreo.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was the best trip I have ever went on and I would go back to Recreo tomorrow! Recreo's hospitality, cleanliness, and attention to detail are second to none.The resort offers both a secluded, relaxing paradise getaway while also giving opportunities for some adventure. We enjoyed the incredibly gorgeous and very private beach, moutaintop lookout, and local bar most. The accomodations were beautiful as well and fit our large group of couples well. Meals were made at our house each day and were just delicious! If you are looking for nearby attractions, Recreo is about 2 hours away from pretty much anything else, so if you are looking to do sightseeing of multiple areas, this may not be the choice for you. We did go to Rancon for an excursion (ziplining, tubing, horseback riding, rock climbing, cliff jumping, hot springs) and it was worth every penny as well as the ride. We considered going to Nicaragua which is about an hour away, but were having too much fun at Recreo to leave. If you are looking for an outside the box tropical getaway and enjoy defining your own adventures, I highly reccommend Recreo. If you are more comfortable with the "all-inclusive" pre-packaged experience, you may want to try a Sandals. I hope to get the opportunity to go back to Recreo with friends or family in my future. A truly unforgetable, exciting, calming, and FUN trip! You will meet lizards and monkeys! Definitely pack your own snorkel equiptment. bug spray, sunscreen, and booze.

Room Tip: Each villa is different! Pick one that fits your group
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Before I share my personal experiences, it is important for anyone considering traveling to this resort truly understand how secluded, private, and relaxing this location is. There are numerous ways to make it memorable, exciting, and fun-filled. If you are unable to see past the seclusion, and are looking for a way to experience as much of Costa Rica as possible, then you may want to find a more "touristy" town. Recreo allows you to make your vacation whatever you want it to be! Consequently, thanks to the amazing staff at Recreo, our group had one of the best vacations of our lives!!

We had the pleasure of traveling to Recreo in a group of 12 people (6 couples). We are a highly active group in our late-20's to early-30's. My husband and I are used to traveling around the world alone, and never spend more than three days in a location, so we were slightly nervous about being in a remote location for six days. Well, six days was not long enough to experience everything Recreo had to offer! We flew in and out of Liberia Airport and arranged for transportation with Recreo, there and back. The prices were reasonable for a two-hour transfer for 12 people. (Be prepared that there is a very bumpy dirt road leading into the resort, which you are on for about a half hour.)

When we arrived, Carlos, our concierge, greeted us with a smile. He was the best!! Carlos was extremely accommodating, pleasant, and considerate our entire stay. He took care of everything from giving us a tour of the resort grounds when we arrived, to bringing us coolers of ice and water on the beach, to booking our excursions and spa services each day for the next. If he did not know the answer to our questions, he made sure to find out and get back to us immediately. One day, we asked to arrange a full “beach day” on Rahada Beach including volleyball, beach chairs, beach games, and a bonfire, which he had never been asked to do before. The next day, the staff had set up a cement-weighted volleyball net on the beach for us. They helped us transport beach chairs, botchy-ball, snorkeling gear, and coolers to our own private section of the beach on our golf carts. The staff also set up a bonfire for us that night, which they lit and put out for us. The twelve of us got to experience a full day on one of the most beautiful, private beaches I have ever seen. The sunset was picturesque! Just don’t forget your sunscreen... the sun is strong in July!!

We also took advantage of their excursions and spa services. We highly recommend the all-day Canopy Tour in Rincon National Park. The trip included zip-lining in the jungle, horseback riding, tubing down a river (full of mini rapids), a Costa Rican lunch, and soaking in hot springs...for only $80 a person. The only down side to the trip was the two-hour transfer each way. At least we were able to stop and stock up on our beer and liquor for the villa! After that trip, we decided we did not want to venture off the resort again since it was such a long, bumpy ride. Luckily, we did get to experience a local fishing excursion off of the local beach, which was only a golf cart ride away. Our Recreo chefs even prepared the tuna we caught while on our excursion!

We stayed in Villa 11, which is a beautiful, spacious, 4-room house with a private infinity pool, two floors, a bar, 4 1/2 bathrooms, and beautiful scenery. The maid service was excellent. They did come each day around 8:00am, but moved stealthily around us. It was early, but I never knew they were there! They would even wash your clothes and fold them at the end of your bed. You may remember me mentioning that we came with six couples. Well, they provided us with mattresses, fans, and extra linens for the couples sleeping in the common areas each night. With the large sofas and extra space, the house is large enough to sleep 12 people. Unfortunately, only the bedrooms are air-conditioned, making the common areas very warm and bug-filled (probably because we left the doors open for a breeze). We rotated taking-turns sleeping in the common areas, so needless-to-say, the night we slept in the common area I did not get much sleep. One of the most entertaining parts of the villa was our close-up view of the monkeys. We would watch them swing on the trees right in front of our balconies. We got a kick out of them!

The aspect of Recreo that made our trip so unique and memorable was the private chefs we had all week, Eblin and Antonio. They were incredible!! As soon as we arrived, they had homemade salsa, chips, and drinks waiting for us. They created fresh breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for us that were delicious, healthy, and complimentary of Costa Rican produce. I am a pescetarian (eat seafood, but not meat) and they were accommodating to all of my needs. For meals they served meat, they would make sure to prepare me my own seafood variation. Additionally, we really got to know and grow fond of them during our time at Recreo. They spoke broken English and we spoke very little Spanish, but we were able to communicate with them very well. As a matter of fact, they helped us all brush up on our Spanish, which was extremely entertaining! We planned each mealtime with them, and they would create delicious food without fail. It was nothing overly fancy, but there was never a bad meal. They prepared everything from chicken, to steak, to shrimp, and lobster. We sat at a long dining table, and served our meals family style. There was no dessert, which surprised me, but I’m not a big dessert-eater anyway. Each meal included fresh fruit, so it fulfilled my sweet tooth. (It also may explain why I didn’t go home with an added 5 pounds on the scale!) If you really needed it, there was a supply of ice cream in the freezer.
If you are looking to experience a local atmosphere, you need to drive your golf cart to the local bar down the road. It is a shack with a blue tarp as a ceiling, but it provided our group with the most local Costa Rican experience and atmosphere we could have ever wished for. The bar had tree stumps as seats and handmade tables. They only served $2 Imperial beer and had a menu of local food. We had a blast chatting and dancing with the locals (using our basic Spanish). After hanging out for a while, the kitchen started bringing out complimentary food to all twelve of us. We first were served a fresh clam broth soup, followed by individual dishes of ceviche, shots of their local liquor, and just when our we were ready to head home, the kitchen prepared a full meal for the remaining half of our group. We later found out that this was their way of showing hospitality and appreciation. This hole-in-the wall bar (literally) turned out to be one of the most enjoyable parts of the trip.

Overall, this trip was incredible and I highly recommend it to others. I imagine it could be as equally fun as a couple, but thought going as a group allowed us to make the most of our trip. I would guess it might get a little redundant if it were just my husband and I. Then again, if you are looking to enjoy a week away from the rest of the world with you and your significant other, then this is the place for you! If you want to make this an adventurous vacation, then I suggest taking full advantage of all Recreo has to offer. But, you will need to be proactive because the fun does not jump out in front of you. There is a great deal of excitement hidden under Recreo’s secluded appearance!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LindsayPSU07
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I honeymooned at Recreo last year and had such an amazing vacation, we decided to head back this year with friends. We were treated so wonderfully by their amazing staff. The staff at Recreo went above and beyond our expectations, which is why we decided to bring our friends back to enjoy Recreo's out-of-this world atmosphere! The food was the best we have ever had and was prepared by our very own private chief. We ate lobster, chicken, steak, shrimp, pork, the tuna and Mahi-Mahi we caught on our fishing trip through Recreo and much, much more! Every meal and snack was so fresh and unbelievably delicious, that we brought a few recipes home to Pennsylvania with us. Our villa was gorgeous and was very well kept by our maid. It was great having our very own private pool, where we could see several monkeys swing by each day on their way down the mountain! The concierge service was like no other resort we have ever been too. Carlos was very accommodating and helped us set up activities on the beach, helped plan our awesome excursions and was there for us at our villa whenever we needed him. For people planning to vacation at Recreo, I would recommend reserving a golf cart because this resort is on a mountain and there are lots of things to explore. You are able to use your golf cart to go wherever you would like, on or off the premises...Recreo's private beach (Rajada), mountain top look out, or into the small town of El Jobo, which has a cantina and two other beaches you may want to explore (one el Jobo beach, the other I cannot remember the name). As far as excursions are concerned, we did a fishing trip through Recreo (awesome-caught a huge Tuna and Mahi-Mahi), Ziplining, hot springs, horseback riding, white water tubing at Rincon (so much fun and great price for all of those things!), and Nicargua tour (great to be in another country, lots to do!). All in all, our trips to Recreo were out of this world and we hope to be able to return sometime soon!

Room Tip: Check out recreo's website to see which villa best fits your needs. They offer one bedroom throu...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Just came back from Recreo not long ago. It's a beautiful place if you want to get away from it all and do absolutely nothing. The nature, birds, monkeys and eco beaches are wonderful ( playa rajada, el coco). Now, if you were planning on sightseeing and do lots of activities ( fishing, checking out other beaches, canopy, surfing etc) like us, if you don't have a rented car, it will be a slow painful week of boredom. You must get a rented car near Liberia airport or you will be stuck in the middle of nowhere. It might be cute at first but then when you will realize that you can't even go to the market to get food, or the nearest town is a 45 min drive away on a beaten and rocky path, it's not so cute. Thinking of getting that golf cart for $40 a day? It won't get you anywhere, take that money and rent a car for cheaper. Everything in that resort is overpriced. The spa which is non-existant, will cost you more than what you would pay in Canada or the States, no thanks. Thinking of booking tours? Well, on top of the expensive price per person, you will have to pay on most tours, $200 just for transportation!!! Rip off. Like I said, rent a car and go there yourself and you will save loads.

We got villa 20, the one-bedroom villa. Positive side: it's cute, modern, well decorated and the cleaning lady does a good job. Bad side: see they forget to mention on the website that in order to get to the front door, you have to walk up 102 steps on a steep hill... Oh yes we counted cuz it was so ridiculous. I don't know who's the genius that thought of that but make sure you don't forget something in the car or villa. We are in our 20s and in top shape and I can assure you that we were both out of breath by the time we reached the door, without racing each other lol. Then the pool... we thought it was nice to have our own private pool until we got there and realized that it was filthy as hell and as small as a hot tub... Apparently the pool boy comes every morning to clean it but they close the filter during the day, I guess to save on electricity. Trust me, you don't want to step in that pool unless you want fungus on your feet. Oh and we found a baby python swimming in our pool/hot tub one day, fab! The toilet was disgusting although they clean it everyday. Think red smears all around the bowl... You expect that from a hostel, not from a luxury 5 stars villa...

The food: we got the private chef option as well. After 1.5 days ( we stayed for a week), we cancelled that service. See they told us ( and as claimed on the website), that a private chef will come and cook for us fresh meals in our kitchen, with fresh fruit smoothies and people on this website were saying how great the flan caramel was etc... You know what we got? We got the concierge Carlos drop off some lady holding 2 plates covered in paper foil. She dropped it off on our table, removed the foil, wishes us a pleasant meal and left... wow... How was the food? I got a piece of chicken with ham and piece of melted Single cheese on top with powdered mashed potatoes and powered limonade juice. No entrée, no dessert. That was my meal from a " private chef". If she's a chef then I'm Anthony Bourdain. When we told Carlos that we are going to cancel our private chef, which by the way, was $65 per person per day for cheese whizz and powdered food, he took us that there is this "policy" ( which we never read and signed) where I will still have to pay for the food for the rest of my week. Thankfully, I met up with the manager, who was very nice and helpful, and I didn't have to settle that bill and it was a misunderstanding. Good, because I would have gone mad on them. Don't be afraid to complain when it's not right and put up a fight. Although this place has its flaws, I don't want to cause trouble but trying to make me pay for something I have not consumed is not fair.

Finally, our concierge Carlos.... By far, the worst concierge ever. When you think of a good concierge, you think of someone with great confidence, that ooze charm and who is very discreet at the same time by respecting your space. Well, that's nothing like Carlos... Most of the time, he didn't know any informations about the tours or pricing and had to get back to us. He told us that it's because he has only been there for 5 months. Well what have you being doing here for 5 months?? If you think that you are renting a private villa to have peace and to not be disturbed, well not with Carlos! Carlos will pop in to see you at any time of the day without knocking. He borderline stalks you the moment he sees your car driving in the resort. We actually timed how many minutes it will take Carlos to enter our villa from the moment we got back. So make sure you're not in a uncompromising position and semi clothed, because Carlos will invite himself over at any moment. Same with the maids, they come at 7h30-8am without knocking and start to clean. So if you were planning on sleeping in, good luck with that.

Overall, I know I sound bitter but we did enjoyed our trip and thanks to our rental car and remoted location, we got to see the North East of the country a lot by passing by villages and checking out beaches and sightseeing. People are extremely nice in Costa Rica. I didn't have an entirely pleasant experience in Recreo but I must say that the surrounding was beautiful, the wildlife and beaches were wonderful and the manager and Christine were very helpful. I would recommend this place for a large family or group that just want a secluded relaxing holiday. We are a couple in our 20s and we are very must active and out and about, hence we didn't fit with this type of establishment but it doesn't mean that it won't be great for another type of person. However, it's far from being a 4-5 stars establishment as claimed.

On a final note, we are not the type of couple that haven't travelled or usually stay in all-inclusive hotels and complain all the time. We are not difficult and this is the first time that I felt the need to write a review on trip advisor to warn people that fits our profile, and to simply speak the truth and say it like it is! We have travelled all around the world from Indian to Vietnam to Dubai and stayed in hostel as well as 5 stars hotels in Singapore and HK to name a few. We know travelling! It's just that when you pay a lot of money expecting a high quality establishment and getting what you paid for and you don't get it, then there is a problem! People that complains on this site about getting bitten by bugs or how the ketchup doesn't taste the same as in America or the staff doesn't speak English perfectly, well that's because you're in Costa Rica and you shouldn't be writing reviews. Stay home.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jen N
recreo, Manager at Recreo, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

At Recreo we value our guests’ comments since they provide an opportunity for us to address any inadequacies as we continually strive to provide the experience that so many of our guests return to recreo for. We would also like to take this time to thank you for your comments about the beauty of the resort and the surrounding area.
We apologize that it was not made more clear to you that recreo is located in a very remote location. Because you booked your vacation through an online travel site, we are looking into ways in which we can better educate people on the remoteness of the property through our partner’s websites. We try to be as upfront as possible regarding the location of the resort and we believe that while this is not for everyone, those who are looking for a truly authentic Costa Rican experience are not disappointed.
We apologize that you were unhappy with the cost of the tours. Most of the offsite excursion tour prices are not set by recreo as these are outside vendors. Most of our guests are happy with the value in the range of activities and experiences that these tours provide. Transportation prices are in line with what you would pay at other hotels for private transportation to these popular tour sites.
We do want to thank you for bringing to our attention the appearance of the pool. The issue was not a “fungus” as you mention but rather mineral deposits that left hard to remove stains in the pool. This issue has been resolved. These same mineral stains were removed from the toilet as well.
All the members of our onsite staff are from the local community that we are so proud to be a part of. Most of our staff, including Carlos, are hard-working and eager to please, are extensively trained and take great pride in their work. We are sorry that your experience was contrary to our efforts and are looking into ways in which we can improve our training program and level of service to each of our guests. It should be noted that normally, upon arrival, we offer guests who book their stay in the one bedroom villa the option of having the cook in the villa full time or having their meals delivered for maximum privacy. We regret that you were not given this choice onsite and are now consulting with guests prior to their arrival on their preference for this service.
Our cooks are professionally trained and we take pride in providing the unforgettable dining experiences that so many of our guests rave about. However, it does seem as if in your case, we fell short of the standards which we strive to uphold. I can assure you that we are looking into this matter and will make adjustments where necessary.
Regarding our spa services, we are sorry that you feel that we misrepresented our services, but we do want to clarify that all of the treatments on our website and on the spa services menu are available. You are correct in saying that we do not have a spa onsite and most of our guests frequently enjoy the massages as well as the facial treatments and manicure pedicure services in the privacy of their villa or poolside.
We apologize that it was not made clearer to you that there is a staircase leading to the one bedroom villa. We are looking into ways in which to create a more accessible entrance to the villa. In the meantime, we do not recommend the one bedroom villa for people with mobility issues or those who would like to enter the villa without climbing stairs.
All in all, we do believe that the concept and the services and amenities that we offer at recreo were not a match for your expectations and we are sorry for your experience.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My stay at Recreo with my family was a vacation to remember. The accomodations were superb. Our chef was innovative and responsive to our dietary requirements. The staff couldn't have been more helpful in providing information for our excursions and attending to our individual needs. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend Recreo to anyone looking for some R&R in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Blue Dream Hotel
Blue Dream Hotel
#1 of 4 in La Cruz
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
0 mi away
No photo provided
Hospedaje Cerro Pittier
#307 of 718 in Province of Puntarenas

Been to Recreo? Share your experiences!