“A great value that provides ready access to a very beautiful part of Costa Rica.”

Turrialba Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 9 Turrialba B&B and Inns
Stockton, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

We had left open the last four days of our 2-week stay, and when the time came we decided to make our way to the Turrialba region to enjoy its whitewater rivers and precipitous mountain scenery. Entered the Turrialba B&B without a reservation and, due to the fact that it was hosting an overnight tour group, desk clerk Jose offered us a choice of a room with two singles or a double that would share a bath (although the other double that would share it was vacant). My wife decided that, after 33 years of sharing a bed with me, she could endure a few nights in a single bed rather than suffer the use of a bathroom with strangers, a real no-no for her. The room was spotless and attractively-decorated with a surprising over-abundance of closet and storage space. The tiled bathroom was also immaculate and, added bonus, the toilet would accept the flushing of toilet paper (oh, heart be still!).
We were then welcomed by proprietor Guy who showed us around his very attractive and accommodating facilities that included hot tub, pool table, refrigerator, internet-ready computer, and a phone with toll-free calls to the U.S. Throughout our stay both he and Jose could not have been more attentive and helpful or more gracious with even the dumbest tourist's question. The breakfasts were delicious, abundant and varied, always including juice, fresh fruit and drip-brewed Costa Rican coffee. Our afternoon cervesa breaks were taken on the roof-top deck with its stunning view of the steam-belching Turrialba volcano.
This hotel is just off the one block-square park that is the center of the work-a-day town of Turrialba. We two middle-aged gringos felt completely safe, even at night, and didn't get a single look from the locals as we enjoyed our brief glimpse of a typical Tico town at work, shopping and dining. An unexpected lagniappe was that Saturday happened to be the town's 117th birthday celebrated by an evening fireworks display directly over the park, followed by musical performances throughout the evening that reminded me that it's really time that I took some salsa lessons.
Can't imagine how we could have improved our last four days in the country.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank up2in2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

After spending a few weeks touring around Costa Rica, the Turrialba Bed and Breakfast was an incredible place to stay before heading home. Guy the owner is very friendly and provides information about the city. All of his staff members are extremely helpful. The layout of his place is beautiful and clean. There are many areas to chill out, relax, and talk to others who are rafting, kayaking or just traveling around Costa Rica. You will have a bar open in the evening, hot tub, hammocks, fenced off parking lot for rental cars, delicious breakfast in the am, pool table and free internet computer / WIFI. On the roof is a look out with views of the massive volcano (best seen in the mornings when you can see the smoke rising). I look forward to return in the future and hope the city doesn't change.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Olean, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

I stayed at the Turrialba B&B while on the Costa Rica Rios Week of Adventures. I would advise anyone staying in the Turrialba area to stay here. It was clean, the food was great, and Guy is a wonderful host. I had the best time and after a day on the river, sitting out on the patio was relaxing. In the morning a view of the volcano from the upstairs deck was breathtaking. Amust see and a must stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

I stayed at this Bed and Breakfast after reading the great reviews. Upon arriving, was a little disappointed with the surrounding area, didn't feel safe, but upon entering the hotel, was delighted with the beautiful water fountain in the lobby and the charming way the hotel was decorated. Jose, the hotel reservationist/assistant was extremely nice and really accommodating in assisting me with tours and taxi service. Maria, the cook and housekeeper was also very nice, but speaks limited English. My room was marginally clean, the sheets were not quite white, nor was there any dusting or sweeping done, I kept shoes on while walking around my room. The owners, although polite, were more attentive to the white patrons. Indeed, the day I checked out, neither of the owners approached me and asked about my stay. I would like to visit Turrialba sometime in the future, but will not stay there again.

Gloria J.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

I have reservations for 6 for 4 months and as there was very little communication from them once I had paid my deposit I wrote several times to make sure the reservation still held.

When we arrived we were very impressed with the outside of the place -- freshly painted, it looked delightful. And the interior foyer and little waterfall and courtyard were all charming to look at.

But the first thing we were told was that someone had made a mistake with our reservations and one (or possibly more) of the rooms had been changed for us.

Then the rooms. OMG. They smelled so badly of mold that one of our members immediately started to become ill. Then they showed us the other two rooms -- they were not as mildewey but were still pretty bad. By the time I'd seen the third one I was starting to have trouble breathing and I'm not overly sensitive to mold!

We had specifically arranged for 2 beds in each room, yet one of the rooms had only one bed.

The attendant quickly got someone with English who explained that they were completely full and that these were two of the three rooms we had specified.

And also said that every place would be the same because it's a humid climate.

We left! Went to a hotel up the street and checked out their rooms ... no moldy mildewey smell.

We ended up returning to San Jose.

Having checked the pictures on the website I realized that the pictures of the rooms there did not seem to correspond to the rooms we were shown.

I could not have been more disappointed -- I had so looked forward to spending time in Turrialba and surroundings.

Lisa

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2010

This cosy B&B is situated about a 10 minute walk from the bus station and is very easy to find, just off the central park. There are a few nice restaurants serving local food and pizzas close by. There is free internet and you can even make free international calls!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2010

A very Full tico breakfast! It was only us one day so it felt like we had our very own chef. The place is amazing! Has a hot tub and entertainment area, roof top view...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turrialba
Hotel Guayabo Lodge
#4 of 12 in Turrialba
Green Mountain and Lodge
Green Mountain and Lodge
#5 of 12 in Turrialba

Been to Turrialba Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!