Center for Tropical Agricultural Research and Education (CATIE)
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Taking a guided tour through Catie is informative. The huge variety of plants, many of which are edible (samples are right on the trees) is wonderful. Guides are very knowledgeable.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

What a wonderful and educational adventure, and the tropical fruits our guide gave us was such a nice extra. Close to Turrialba, not expensive, and if one wants to stay on the campus grounds bird watching or at the pool and clubhouse (additional $3) for the afternoon like we did, it makes for a terrific day. You really need a guide to understand these gardens - our guide was Paul, a CATIE resident and we definitely recommend him: paul.voelker@gmail.com

Reviewed July 29, 2011

We went rafting on the Pacuare River in Turrialba and decided to visit the CATIE Botanical Garden. The guide we had, Paul, was nice enough to show us the entire University Campus, Coffee and Cocoa collections, plus the Botanical Garden - all in his own 4X4 vehicle! His name is Paul, his contact info is: catiebotanicalgarden@gmail.com - and we also ate lots of fresh picked exotic fruits.
Enjoy!

1  Thank Paul V
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I really enjoyed this informative tour. I'm not overly interested in plants and wasn't sure if the tour would be worth it. I'm so glad I took the tour. Our guide was VERY knowledgeable and his English was near perfect. There was a botanist on our tour and he asked many questions that went beyond the basics. The guide was able to answer every single question this gentleman had. I plan to recommend this place to the foreign students I know studying in San Jose. It was worth it.

Reviewed August 11, 2008

Our Spanish School, Adventure Education Center, was located within the grounds of C.A.T.I.E. so we spent almost every day for two weeks here.
Lovely botanical gardens and research center. Very large grounds, picnic areas, and pathways.
The staff are very informative, even the groundskeepers will stop and talk about the grounds and species of plants.

Travelers who viewed Center for Tropical Agricultural Research and Education (CATIE) also viewed

Turrialba, Province of Cartago

Cartago, Province of Cartago

Been to Center for Tropical Agricultural Research and Education (CATIE)? Share your experiences!