We spent three days here and it was one of our favorites of the trip. They have a very nice setup with hummingbird and platform feeders which attract a good variety of very nice birds, including some of the more uncommon hummingbirds. We found everything as noted by others, and have a hard time time saying anything bad about the managers, guides and staff -and as noted by others, the food is excellent. Several small items may be important to some visitors, though - like the fact that the trails are steep and can be muddy - of course, that is the price to pay for birding in this setting. The one thing that did bother us was that when we were settling our bill upon departure, we were told that they do not take credit cards. We would have preferred to know that ahead of time when deciding on whether to purchase extra drinks and tours.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The premier birding lodge in Costa Rica, Rancho Naturalista is among the finest in Central America. There are plentiful hummingbirds on the large, open upstairs balcony where you can view the distant smoking volcano. Over 430 species of birds have been recorded in the area. You can hike and bird the trails on your own, and excellent guides are available as well. At Rancho Naturalista the atmosphere is warm and relaxed, and the staff are friendly and welcoming. This comfortable lodge is famous for its excellent food, well prepared, and made with the best fresh local ingredients. (All meals are included.) The weather is almost perfect, not too hot and not too cold. Rancho Naturalista is a wonderful getaway for bird watchers, hikers, and nature lovers! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Rancho Naturalista Turrialba
- Rancho Naturalista Hotel Turrialba
- Rancho Naturalista Costa Rica/Turrialba