“Excitement, physical exercise and beautiful scenery!”
Review of Explornatura

Class III-IV Whitewater Rafting at Pacuare River from Turrialba
Ranked #3 of 17 Tours in Turrialba
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explornatura offers rafting, canyoneering, ziplines and lots of overall adventure vacations in Costa Rica. Merge the natural attractions of Costa Rica with the a local cultural experience while traveling down rivers, over mountains and top trees, and along beaches while meeting the friendly, happy people of Costa Rica. Turrialba, a rural town centrally located just 2 hours from San Jose, is the home of Explornatura Adventure Travel. Locally owned and operated, we are adventure specialists and nature lovers with more than 20 years’ experience in Adventure Vacationswith an impeccable safety record. We also own and operate the Canyoning Tour and the Pacuare River Rafting expeditions. Whatever is your idea of adventure and nature vacations include, we will exceed your expectations.
Frankfurt, Germany
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Excitement, physical exercise and beautiful scenery!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

The tour was from the very beginning to the end perfectly organized.
We have been picked up in time in Alajuela and driven to Turialba.
The guides - we had Alejandro - were very motivated and experienced.
This all and the beauty of the river and the surrounding scenery made this a perfect day.

2 Thank AlBatzino
Explorador2020, Propietario at Explornatura, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
It is great to know that you have a good time, I am going to pass your comment to the crew.

We really appreciate your words.

Leesburg, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Adventure of a lifetime”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Our timing couldn't have been better - after having to cancel 3 weeks of whitewater rafting tours due to the constant rainfall, my fiance and I were the first tour they were able to resume.
We were the only two on the tour, so we had the whole staff of 4 to ourselves. I had never been river rafting, and my fiance had only been in Harper's Ferry, WV (certainly not comparable), so it was a new experience for both of us. That being said, the staff was great and very helpful for (relative) first timers.
The rapids were no joke - 3 category 4 sections, several more category 3 - and were quite a challenge. We stopped on the bank for lunch. The spread for burrito making was delicious and was a welcome break from a furious paddling. There was a nice path up the mountain with a nice lookout that we utilized as well.
During our adventure, there was a photographer who would paddle up a ways and take some pictures from the bank as we passed. 80+ pictures for $40 was definitely worth it for documenting the trip, especially considering the quality of the shots. Definitely splurge for the pictures!
Overall, very pleased with our experience, and would definitely recommend Explornatura to anyone.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Brian K
Explorador2020, Propietario at Explornatura, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Pacuare river is one of the best places of the world, I am glad you have a great private with us.

Thank you very much for your comment and we hope you come back in the future.

Michigan
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Glad I stumbled onto ExplorNatura”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Usually, I plan my own vacations using the internet. I stumbled upon ExplorNatura while looking for an overnight whitewater rafting adventure. They were great. When my daughter became ill the night before, they got her to a clinic and took good care of her, were flexible about changing plans and just went out of their way. They have their own canyoneering canyon which is wonderful as well. I had them arrange our transportation and hotels. They did an excellent job and I highly recommend them.

The only downside is that I never realized how rainy it is in that part of the country. We were there in the alleged "dry" season but....it wasn't....at all!! But if you come prepared for adventure AND rain, this is a great company to use.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank PaulMichigan
Explorador2020, Propietario at Explornatura, responded to this review, January 3, 2013

We are very happy that you have a good experience with us.

I hope your daughter is doing better now.

Thank you for coming with us.

Tampa, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Super duper experience with Explornatura”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I recently went to CR and used explornatura for my Canyoning adventure!! It was awesome! Not only were the guys (Dave and Jose) extremely professional and knowledgeable, they were very nice and friendly. i felt comfortable with them and I was a solo female traveler on a solo tour. They never jeopardized my safety one bit. They gave tips about the city and more.

Since I was coming from San Jose, the people at explornatura made sure I knew how and when to catch the bus and even made a reservation for me to guarantee I get on the earliest bus. I TOTALLY RECOMMEND THEM!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank IntermediateTraveler
Explorador2020, Propietario at Explornatura, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments

I am glad the bus reservation helped you to come to Turrialba

You should come back and do rafting with us

Alberta
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Best on the river!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of rafting with this great company on Nov. 2nd. All of my emails were responded to in a timely fashion from Day 1. We arrived the day before in Turrialba with no reservations and wondering where to stay. The young man at the desk helped us organize the hotel and organized pickup for the next morning. There were just the 2 of us with the best crew ever! We got fabulous care from the 3 young men: Jonathan, Louis, and Harry. Louis was great in the safety kayak, even though not needed thankfully. Harry was a super photographer taking pictures and videos without us even knowing. The dvd we were provided is a treasure of wonderful memories. I cannot comment enough on Jonathan, our guide. He was super funny, spoke great english and made us feel we were with a friend. The lunch provided by these 3 men for just a party of 2 was delicious! I recommend this company for anyone wanting a personable experience while rafting a super fun river.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank MomTaxi
Thank you very much for your comments

I am very happy that Explornatura meets your expectations.

The Pacuare river is the best place you can visit in Costa Rica, if you want to come back, just let us know.