“Fantastic place and phenomenal restaurant”
Review of Hotel Quelitales

Hotel Quelitales
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cartago
GreenLeadersGold level
Jaco, Costa Rica
“Fantastic place and phenomenal restaurant”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I and 3 year old daughter spent the weekend at Hotel Quelitales. Jose welcomed us like family and prepared the most amazing meals for us using as much as he could from the gardens on the property. Our bungalow was clean and private with views of the forest and waterfall. My wife lost her shoes and Jose let her borrow his own for the time that we were there! Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Shawn F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I spent the weekend with my wife, the location is outstanding if you want to relax. We stayed at the Mariposas Suite, the room was very comfortable and the outside shower great. You can easily walk to the fall. The food prepare by Don Jose was excellent. Highly recommended place.

• Stayed January 2014
Alajuela, Costa Rica
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

The service you receive is the best! The food is delicious gourmet; the location and the nature is beautiful! ♥ I am in love with everything! I will recommend this place to everybody! It is so romantic, so calmed that you can rest sooo much!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I'm not joking, this place really is magical. It's truly beautiful. The cabins are clean and comfortable and super cute. The outdoor shower was amazing and had endless hot water. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. You're out in the middle of nowhere, and you can hear the animals and nearby waterfall at night while you're sleeping. Not to mention the incredible views, and hiking right at your front door. Even the locals know that this place is a true gem.

I have traveled all around the world and this was one of my most favorite places I have ever stayed. Not to mention, Jose, the owner of the hotel, and his staff go above and beyond to make you comfortable and meet your needs. They helped us book white water rafting, plan a trip to a local volcano, and even helped us with our Spanish!

Not to mention -- and I'm not exaggerating -- the food is FIVE STAR. Jose is a highly trained chef who creates masterpieces on the plate. We would tell him to "surprise us" and he would bring out flaming dishes that tasted incredible. I am also a vegetarian, and he had no problem accommodating me with delicious, nutritious food, obviously cooked with love.

I rarely write reviews or Yelp, but in this case, Hotel Quelitales, Jose and his staff, really deserve 5+ stars. I highly recommend this place. You will not be sorry!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tavia M
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed November 9, 2013

It was not that easy to find, but once we were there we directly knew it would be a great place to stay. A warm welcome from the owner / chef and we knew that what we have been reading as comment would be correct; Nice place to stay and good food.
The room was very nice. Up to the hill with a beautiful green view. The most amazing part of the rooms are the 'outside-showers'. Yes, a part of the bathroom is outside! But it's great and 100% private with nice hot water. You also receive homemade soap you can use in the shower. This soap is very nice.
As mentioned before the hotel has a restaurant. We felt a little spoiled because when we went to eat we were the only guests. Buy talking with the chef we noticed that he's passioned buy food and believe me, we tasted it. Each plate was a piece of art. Not only the great tastes but also the way how the plates were served was amazing.
We could not have had a better ending of our vacation in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: All of them are good.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My friend and I booked this place a few days before arrival while planning a last minute trip. There is nothing negative to say about this hotel whatsoever. Jose and his wife are excellent hosts, and Jose is definitely a 5 star chef!! I had the best meal of my vacation here, as well as one of the best cocktails I have ever consumed in my life - all at affordable prices. The rooms are very nice and spacious and the outdoor shower is so cool!! IT was nice and relaxing to have our own little cabin and outdoor space too. The grounds are beautiful. You are right in the middle of the jungle. Don't be deterred by the gravel road on the way up to Quelitales - it is worth the ride. You will need a 4WD vehicle to get to this place but it is so worth it. The best part of this hotel though is Jose, his wife, and his staff. You can tell they really care about the quality of their guests stay, as well as preserving the environment that the property is on. They were so helpful and friendly - Jose helped us navigate a day trip to the Irazu volcano as well as planned a white water rafting/canopy trip in a nearby town. We were sad to leave here, but it is somewhere I would definitely visit again in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kristine K
Sumter, South Carolina
Reviewed September 15, 2013

What a wonderful place. You would never believe what you were about to get into by driving up a small dirt road full of potholes. The road ended high up in a valley with spectacular views.

We had no idea what to expect. We had done no research about this place – we were only taking the word of a young waiter who had served us at a restaurant down the road. When we asked him about places to stay he recommended the Quelitales Hotel.

Hotel is not the appropriate word for this place. You stay in cabins that are scattered among the hill side. The décor was very tasteful and very clean. It was obvious that a lot of thought had gone into each of these cabins. Besides having an indoor shower, each one also had an outdoor shower. It was absolutely beautiful inside but the real beauty was the view of the jungle and the waterfalls. They were spectacular. Do not let the drive to the hotel or your first impressions turn you away. This place is a jewel.

The owner, Jose Alvarez Mejias, is also the chef of the restaurant on the property. It is one of the best. It was obvious that Jose takes great pride in his cooking. When he brought out trout, caught minutes before in a spring feed pond that is right beside (and beneath) the restaurant, the beauty of his presentation let you know that he puts love and passion into every dish. You will not be disappointed in the taste.

If you want to get away from the resorts and experience more of the real Costa Rica this place is for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russell J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartago
Paraiso Orocay Lodge
Hotel Guayabo Lodge
Hotel Guayabo Lodge
#2 of 12 in Turrialba
Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa
Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve &...
#2 of 4 in San Gerardo de Dota

Been to Hotel Quelitales? Share your experiences!