“Amazing lodge!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Cartago B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Amazing lodge!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed a night at one of the private cabins prior to visiting irazu volcano the next morning. Private cabin is amazing. Big and clean, a heater in cabin for the cold nights, nice comfortable beds. Complementary breakfast and most of all.... 30 min drive to irazu volcano. Wifi, lots of outlets, and amazing service.

Also, when searching for beer during the middle of the night, the receptionist was extremely kind enough to offer us beer that he had gotten for himself. This act of kindness will def have me coming back here when I visit Irazu.

Room Tip: CHOOSE THE CABINS over normal rooms.... especially the two cabins closest to the reception area as w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CC C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Atlanta
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I couldn't say enough good things about Grandpas. I've stayed with them for four consecutive years on group travel service trips I lead. Gustavo and the staff could not be more accommodating. You truly feel as comfortable as you would at home. The energy around the hotel is one of love and service. Nevermind the view you wake up to every morning! It's not on a busy street-it's on the road that goes to the Irazu volcano. So it's close to sight seeing at the Irazu but still close enough to downtown Cartago for shopping and city sight-seeing. -both are taxi rides away. I always feel 100% safe there. I never worry about my belongings and have 100% trust in the cleaning staff. It can get quite chilly at night, however, because of the elevation! All meals are home-cooked and fresh. They just built a larger cabin on the grounds.-you can either choose to stay at a cabin or in the home. Stay at Grandpa's if you're looking for a home away from home-you won't regret it!

Room Tip: The house can be noisy if there are a lot of people staying there. The cabins are beautiful and quai...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed February 27, 2013

If you are looking for someplace close to Irazu this place fits the bill. We stayed in a little cabin - very cute, basic. Great views. Only spent one night. We were amazed how cool it is up that high. Nice breakfast. Great place to be to get up to Irazu first thing in the morning. We drove from the airport across San Jose, starting in the late afternoon, and it took us about 3 hours (about 50 miles). Arrived in the dark. We ate dinner at the 1910 Cafe next door, which was great. Good meal, nice atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Veenendaal, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night at one of the private cabins prior to visiting irazu volcano the next morning.

Pros:
- private cabin is really private, big and clean
- heater in cabin for the cold nights
- nice comfortable bed
- breakfast was good
- 30 min drive to irazu volcano, so you can be there in time before the clouds come rolling in
- free wifi

Cons:
- although there should be warm water, we didn't get it in our room..!
- staff was ok, but not make you feel really welcome
- not much else to do in the surrounding of the hotel
- wifi worked only in the lobby and dining area.

• Stayed February 2013
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I visit this hotel with my 2 kids and my parents. The place is clean, well maintained and the staff is friendly and helpful.
The breakfast is awesome, the portions big and balanced.
If you get the inside room (number 5) can get a bit noisy around breakfast time. But that was just a tiny thing.... The rest was great....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Gananoque, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at Grandpas' for 3 nights Jan 15,16, and 17. this small hotel is a gem. Gustavo the owner is a great person and went out of his way to make my stay interesting as well as comfortable. Cot were the hotel is located is a short drive from downtown Cartago. I stayed in a cabin and was very comfortable. The small heater in the room was enough to take off the night chill as the hotel is at elevation and gets cool after dark. Clean, friendly staff and good food in the restaurant makes Grandpas just like home. The grounds are well kept and as a retired farmer the potato field in front of the hotel brought back memories. If your going to Cartago, go a bit further to Cot and Grandpas' Hotel, you won't regret it!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We wanted a hotel close to the Irazu Volcano and based on other reviews I chose Grandpa's. The location to the volcano was great though we didn't actually get to see it due to the clouds rolling in. Actually seeing the volcanoes can be a little tricky with the weather but is something we really enjoyed when we got to see the Poas before leaving Costa Rica.
When we arrived at Grandpa's we were received ( I won't refer to it as greeted ) by a man who spoke no English and wasn't very interested in trying to communicate with us. OK it is a foreign country but a smile or friendly gesture would go a long way. Maybe he was having a bad day.
We were showed our room in the main building. It definitely had some deferred maintenance issues. The bathroom was dingy, old, and could have used a good bleaching. There was mold in the grout between the tiles. The surface areas were clean but I felt like I was staying in a very substandard room. The linens on our bed were damp and smelled bad. I was grateful that I would only be there one night. If I had paid $50. a night I might have thought, well I got what I paid for and even then I would not have wanted to be there, but considering the cost I thought it was just ridiculous. We ate dinner at the restaurant on the corner because after seeing our room I didn't have a lot of confidence in this place.
In the morning we had the complimentary breakfast and I have to say we enjoyed it. The pancakes were unlike any I've had. The waiter told us they had cornmeal and orange juice in them, very good. The waiters were very nice. Another family at the next table was celebrating a birthday and the chef and waiter came out carrying a fresh baked (you could see the heat from it) cake for the family to enjoy later. It was unexpected and very kind of them.
There were cabins on the property that looked cute and much newer, so maybe if you stay in one of those you could have a nice stay but I would not recommend staying in the main building unless your only alternative was sleeping in the car, a small car.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cindy T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cartago
Hotel Quelitales
Hotel Las Brumas
Hotel Las Brumas
#4 of 5 in Cartago
Hotel y Restaurante El Guarco

Been to Grandpas Hotel? Share your experiences!