“Artisans taking pride in their beautiful work!”

Fabrica de Carretas Eloy Alfaro
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Sarchi
Forsyth, Georgia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Artisans taking pride in their beautiful work!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

This town has the Guinness world record breaking, largest painted ox cart in the world. That alone was worth a peak. Our guide went the extra mile and took us to this shop.

I was a tad emotional. My parents had made this trek over 30 years earlier to buy their own beloved ox cart for our home. I grew up looking at that beautifully painted cart. Getting to watch them paint and work with the beautiful woods, made me want to weep. We were able to buy our own treasures to take home that day. I just walked in the door from our flight home and lovingly placed my handmade wooden inlaid lazy Susan on my kitchen table. Gorgeous!

Arlington, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was an interesting stop. Lots of painters working on the ox carts. We didn't really see the fabrication live but there are several tools, equipment, 100 year old carts, etc around to give you an idea. Its a pretty neat little stop and the souvenirs were good though pricey.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Stunning Beauty!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Yesterday, my husband and I visited this beautiful attraction. A friendly employee even let us in the back door instead of making us walk all the way around the facility. A wonderful thing happened when one of the painters took a real liking to us and offered us a personal gift of his. Our hearts were so overwhelmed!! This is a truly magical place with so much vibrancy created by the talents of so many! Bravo for a wonderful time and memories!!

Utica, New York
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Souvenirs and oxcarts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Sarchi is the mother of all souvenir places -- with a a whole town full. Best prices are actually across the street from Fabrica de Carretas. But this is such a wonderful place -- you must go out back and see the hand painted oxcarts. If you are lucky you will get to see some of the artisans painting. It is well worth the visit as you head back to San Jose or the airport. Lovely hand made wooden items in all of the shops. And you can even have a cart, or one of the distinctive chairs or other pieces of furniture shipped back home, or take as a piece of luggage. The cathedral is lovely too and don't miss the HUGE oxcart in the park in front of the cathedral. A really interesting town.

1 Thank MarilynUtica_NY
Oregon
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Especially interesting to me was the water-powered equipment in the old workshop and the working artists.