“Very, very nice”

GreenLeadersGold level
Connecticut
“Very, very nice”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

My wife and I celebrated the first half of our 15th year anniversary trip there mid July and were thrilled with the experience from the roomy, well-appointed, ultra-clean basic bungalow (#7, with a good view of the volcano) to the beautiful grounds to the very good food to the excellent service we received from all. Highly recommended. It made the second half of our trip at the Gaia Hotel in Manuel Antonio (a very nice hotel) almost pale in comparison, at least from the standpoint of the accommodation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
US
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We spent 4 nights at Arenal Nayara from 6/13-6/17/10 (two couples). From the minute we got there, we were welcomed and felt right at home. We were greeted with a delicious cold fruit drink and cool towels to wipe your face. The front staff got us quickly checked in and the bellboy got our suitcases on a golf cart and drove us to our rooms. The rooms were stunning! The bed was very comfortable, furnishings well appointed, complimentary robes and slippers, and the outdoor shower was great!

We had a great view of the volcano from our room (#25), however, my sister's room #8 did not have a view of the volcano. One minor thing: the jacuzzi for room #25 did not work. My sis in room #8 tried their jacuzzi and it worked, but she said when they turned on the jets tons of dead bugs came out into the water. We were a bit disappointed, but decided to head to the pool. The pool is heated and we enjoyed it even more than we would have the jacuzzi. Even with this shortcoming, I still rate this hotel 5 stars.

The complimentary breakfasts were wonderful. Every morning there was a different variety of hot items, and the usual fresh fruits, pastries, etc. We especially enjoyed the made to order egg station (a chef made it in front of you) and the pancakes.

The grounds were beautifully kept, though a bit hilly (don't wear heels here!). There was construction going on around the grounds, but we didn't let this bother us because most mornings we were up by 6:00 a.m. anyways (the sun rises like 5:00 a.m.).

The free internet and international phone calls in the lobby came in handy. We were able to call our parents in the U.S. and we used the internet to research our activities.

The staff was very pleasant and accomodating. The maids did a wonderful job keeping the rooms clean. On our departure, we were given cold bottles of water for our trip (as they know it is a very far drive wherever you are going).

I miss Arenal Nayara very much and I wish I could return. If you book Nayara, you will not be disappointed! Please, stay at least 4 nights, you won't regret it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank georgiagirl50
veraz
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Nayara for the part of our honeymoon, and I can't even describe how much we loved it. This hotel by far is one of the best I've ever stayed. We loved the casitas: the outdoor shower, the outdoor Jacuzzi tub, huge balcony, his and hers sinks and shower heads, the bedroom. We were joking around that if we ever to build a house, we'd want out bedroom and bathroom area to be just like the casita. Everything at this hotel is so meticulously thought out - it was nice to know that anything we needed was already taken care of. We got a nice welcome bottle of champagne as a honeymoon gift! There was construction going on at the time, and we did ask to be moved to a different location. The management was very accommodating and moved us right away. Since this hotel is fairly small (for the resort type of place - I believe about 35 casitas), we felt like really special guests every step of the way. Nayara provides free shuttle to La Fortuna at certain times through the day, however it's only about $10 cab ride. There is not a ton going on at La Fortuna - worth going to check out, but you can walk the whole thing in about 20 mins. Mainly souvenir shops, a few restaurants, tour companies, and supermarket. They also provide free lava watching tour at 9 pm (if it's not raining or too cloudy).
We went on a Sky Tram and Sky Trek tour offered by the hotel. It was great! Definitely recommend. Great way to see just how big the rainforest is!
My only negative comment is that dinner food wasn't consistent (breakfast and lunch we had was always very good). Dinner we weren't too impressed with. Our sea food dishes that we ordered from the main menu were most of the time very overcooked. We did pre-set dinner one night (Spanish night I think it was), and ordered chicken with mole, and that was really good and cooked right. We didn't have any problems with other beef or chicken dishes we ordered, so maybe it's just the seafood. Lunch at the pool was always delicious!
Oh, and there are bunnies running around the ground! Soo cute!! The big white one will usually let you pet him. Adorable!
We didn't want to leave to our next destination which was at the beach and I am a total beach vacation junky, so that says a lot!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank veraz
VA
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for part of our honeymoon and I really wished we had stayed here the whole time. Though the construction was going on building the new casitas we didin't even notice it. The room was luxorious!! Our view of the volcano was absolutely amazing, waking up next to it everyday was a treat. The private jacuzzi was perfect to sit in and relax witha bottle of wine and my husband. The food at the hotel was good, I LOVED the ceviche, I think I ate it every single day we were there. The fact that they had computers you could use and free WIFI made it easy to still access the outside world in such secluded spot. We did a few tours, kayaking and zip lining and the hot springs (we paid a high amount for Tabacon, but it was totally worth it. Go at night, SO ROMANTIC!) which we set up through the hotel and everything went really smoothly, our tour guide was amazing and very personable. We also rented a car, which I think in a must but make sure you get an SUV for these roads, and drove up to the Observatory Lodge for dinner. The view of the lava coming out of the volcano during our dinner was magical, the only downside was that it was a hike to get to the lodge and the road is all potholes, so it left us with somewhat of a headache when we got back to Nayara. The only thing I didn't like about Nayara, and it was a very small issue, was that the mixed drinks they served weren't very good, stick with wine or beer. Overall, Nayara is the best hotel I have ever stayed in, you really feel like you're in a tropical paradise.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
Reviewed July 10, 2010

In twenty years of travelling, this is one of, if not THE, best experience our family has had. First, Costa Rica is absolutely beautiful and the people are wonderful. The Nayara is absolutely beautiful, peaceful and easy-going. If you're looking for a happening nightspot, look elsewhere. We really enjoyed just hanging around the pool and later in the wine bar, where Gustavo welcomes everyone with a hearty handshake and smile. We thought the food was fine--there's something for everyone. We took one tour arranged by the hotel that was incredible and fairly priced. The hotel also arranged our travel to and from the hotel. The service at Nayara is just incredible! Muchas gracias to everyone at Nayara for the experience of a life time. Pura vida!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Litchfield Park, Arizona
Reviewed July 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I were only able to stay for three days at this hotel, but wished we could have stayed here for our whole trip to Costa Rica.

We stayed in Suite and our casita was amazing. Our view from the deck made us feel like we were totally alone. The privacy was outstanding. Most of our time was spent relaxing on the deck with a couple of drinks. It never got boring. From our casita we were able to watch the volcano erupt several times during our short stay. We were unable to see the lava, but had great views of the plumes of smoke.

In short, it was the most wonderful part of our vacation. We are actually considering having our wedding here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and I had reservations to stay at Arenal Nayara for 6 nights. Based on glowing reviews here on tripadvisor we were excited to stay at this resort for a romantic getaway. I really hate to write a negative review, but this is based on our experiences. The resort itself was nice enough with nice views of the volcano however the 'vibe' from staff and other guests here was really uncomfortable. Staff at the restaurant made us feel like we were burdening them by being there and smiles were nowhere to be found. The food, well it was some of the worst food I've had at a resort. My husband ordered a seafood soup the first night we were there and the smell of the soup was repulsive. Luckily my husband is very easy going and managed to eat it, although he felt it was extremely fishy tasting like what he imagined cat food would taste like. I could go on about our food experiences but they were more of the same. After only one night at the resort we decided to change our reservation and leave as soon as possible. Our rooms were beautifully decorated however the rooms were not cleaned during our stay and we had green mouldy fruit growing in the mini fridge upon arrival. There are beautiful macaws on the resort but their wings are clipped so they cannot fly. As a bird lover, I found this rather disturbing and somewhat heartbreaking. I feel there are much nicer, less expensive and more romantic places to stay in the area. It is the first time we've had such a different experience compared to the majority of reviews on tripadvisor.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
azaragovia, General Manager at Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
At Nayara our world revolves around the happiness of our guests. We do everything with one goal in mind, to ensure total customer satisfaction. We have a 96% satisfaction rating, among the highest of any hotel in the world, which we believe is the reason we have one of the highest hotel occupancy rates in Costa Rica.

It is because of this deeply ingrained customer service culture that we are saddened whenever we are not able to meet guest expectations. Here at Nayara we are not always perfect, but we try very hard to improve every day. Foremost in our minds is always the guest experience.

We want to thank all of our guests for the generous messagages we receive every day. At the same time, we also appreciate less-than-stellar guest feedback because it enables us to keep raising the bar higher. As such, we will use this review as constructive criticism.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
Nayara Springs
Nayara Springs
#1 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 62 in Arenal Volcano National Park
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#7 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#5 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
#11 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!