“Fantastic hotel with incredible views”

Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at Nayara for 3 nights in September. The hotel is incredible. We arrived during a downpour and the staff were so great giving us towels, taking us to our room via golf cart and even putting down a towel before we entered the room to keep everything dry - the small touches make all the difference!

The rooms are spacious and clean. The balcony has an incredible view with a hammock, deck chairs and a bath tub. The rooms have in door and outdoor showers which were very private.

All of the food at the hotel was delicious especially the wine pairing dinner which was a great value at $75 per person for 5 courses. We were tempted to indulge and have it twice since it was so good!

The hotel is ideally located - its close to the national park and the Sky Trek zip line and its only a 10 min drive to the center of La Fortuna if you wanted to venture out.

All of the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The name of the game here is service! After 2 days of horrible travel with canceled flights and a long drive from San Jose in the dark (not recommended by the way), my husband and I found ourselves beyond frustrated. But that all went away the second we arrived at Nayara. At almost midnight, we were graciously greeted by the staff with wet aromatherapy towels to help cool off, a simply easy check in - and more importantly a plate of fresh food and water on the assumption that we didn't eat.

When we got to the room, travel frustrations became a long memory. The room - the Nayara Suite - was gorgeously appointed. A lovely and comfortable bed, a spacious living room, an amazing bathroom with an extra outdoor shower and a large private outdoor jacuzzi bathtub. The grounds are lush with an amazing view of Arenal volcano.

During our time there, we visited the bar, restaurants and spa - all of which had lovely people with service as the top priority. The food was delicious - and the breakfast which comes with the room everyday was a nice spread of everything you can imagine.

While I have no complaints, I did see that they are building a bunch of new rooms. It's my hope that it stays the same quaint and relaxing place it currently is and doesn't become a large hotel.

Overall - the experience was top notch and now I recognize why T+L rated it as one of the world's top hotels. We hope to be back sometime in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank McPikNik
Reviewed September 21, 2013

If you are up for adventure as well as rest and relaxation, this place will suit all of your needs in a first class setting. Even though the trip from the airport to the hotel is 3 hours, it has breathtaking views of the Costa Rican landscape. We even saw a sloth on the way to the hotel for which our driver pulled over so we could snap shots of. We were greeted by the amazing Nayara staff with some yummy punch .
We requested a view of the Arenal Volcano which was front and center from our amazing porch, this is a must request. I enjoyed laying in the hammock while watching the volcano and hummingbirds as they flew around the stunning plants and flowers that surrounded our porch - pure tranquility. Jonathan was a friendly face that greeted us everywhere we went, I even asked if he had a twin or triplet since he was in the lobby, then the spa, then the pool, he surely made sure everything was to your liking no matter where you were.
We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, especially the local fresh fruits and freshly squeezed juices. We chose the wine pairing for our anniversary dinner and we were not disappointed. Everything was delicious and Elquin (the wine bar manager) was helpful in telling about the wines and the pairing. We even chose to do the wine pairing another night since we enjoyed it so much.
It was the rainy season (we went mid-September) , but it really only rained in the late afternoon/evening. This worked out since we did the early morning excursions and we were back before the heavy rain hit. The time difference is 2 hours earlier from the east coast of USA, so you actually get an extra two hours of sleep ! The Rio Celeste HIke, hanging bridges and the zip line excursions were amazing. Alberto and Julio were fantastic guides that educated us a lot about Costa Rica and made the longish car rides quite interesting. I would definitely bring hiking boots for the hikes, since the rains do come and the hills can be quite steep and slippery.
Lastly , hit the spa ! The chocolate massage was amazing, especially with the rain in the background and the chirping of the birds.
Also, leave the kids at home, unless they are older than 12 and really well behaved. The place is quite romantic and I wouldn't bring my rugrats to ruin someone else's relaxing trip. Thank you Nayara, we hope to return in a few years !

Room Tip: choose a room facing the Volcano
1  Thank lilfeit
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This place is absolutely unbelievable! First of all, planning our stay and activities/excursions could not have been easier - staff was immediately responsive to emails, questions, etc. before we had even arrived. We also arranged airport transfer through Nayara, and were greeted by a friendly driver (Manuel) and a spotless Tahoe with leather seats and air-conditioning for the 2.5 hour drive to the hotel. Though the drive was a little rough (much of it was windy roads through the mountains), it was well worth it when we arrived at this stunning resort.

Nayara Hotel is one of the only places I've visited where the actual resort looks identical to the professional photos on the website. The grounds are spectacular - I couldn't believe my eyes. The landscaping is perfectly tended to, the pool spotless, and the rooms just as we expected (if not better) from the photos. Renaldo seemed to be the main pool-keeper, and was constantly asking if we needed anything, moving our lounge chairs to keep us in the sun, etc. He was also the primary caretaker for the hotel parrot, Carlotta (fabulous entertainment, as you can hold her and she speaks Spanish). He kept the pool area looking beautiful at all times.

The only downside of the entire trip was that one day when we were going to the pool, all the lounge chairs were taken and we had nowhere to sit. Since this is the low season, I wonder how this is handled when the resort is completely full.

The food at the on-site restaurants was delicious. The Altamira Restaurant has a delicious (enormous) buffet breakfast that was included in the price of our room, and the dinners there were equally good. There are "theme" dinners as well as a standing menu from which to choose from. There's a sushi restaurant which had a great patio to sit on and enjoy happy hour (half-price drinks, 4-6PM) and a really great wine bar where you can essentially run your own wine tasting (dispensing machines that were really fun to use to try a wide variety of wines) and enjoy tapas as well. The staff everywhere at Nayara was incredibly friendly and accommodating. Every waiter/waitress we had already knew my food allergies and would let me know which items I could/could not have, before I even ordered. I have never been anywhere where they were that attentive to their guests. It was truly impressive.

The rooms are beautiful, and ours (#6) had a great balcony/patio area with a hammock, hot tub, and amazing view of the Arenal Volcano. The beds were comfortable, and the outdoor shower was a great addition to the space.

The Spa at Nayara was quiet, serene and beautiful. I had the 70-minute hot stone massage which did not disappoint and completely relaxed me for the remainder of the trip. Again, everyone was clearly concerned with making sure this vacation was nothing short of fabulous.

I would absolutely recommend Nayara Hotel. It is truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, and the staff and additional services were easily some of the best I've encountered (and I travel regularly). Though I went for a girls' trip primarily for relaxation purposes, this would be a fabulously romantic couples' getaway. I would absolutely return if/when I come back to Costa Rica!

Room Tip: Ask for a Volcano view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChristaKC
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This resort is amazing, as almost every review on this site says. It looks just like the pictures when you are there in person. Everything is first class, from the food to the service...they don't mess around here. Every worker is attentive and always greets you with a "Hola" and a smile. This is the kind of service you don't see at many other places.

If I had to write one negative comment it would be that our room did not have a view of Arenal, but the room and deck was surrounded by bright colored flowers and lush green vegetation so it's really hard to complain because it was still beautiful. We could hear the noise of the nearby construction very well from our room, but no biggie.

Altamira and Sushi Amor were both amazing. The wine bar is a great place to relax and try some new wines while using the fancy technology. The Spa was very good as well.

Overall: A, would be A+ but the lack of a volcano view and construction brings it down to a A....yeah, it's that good.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This beautiful place is hard to get to, but once there, it makes it all worthwhile. A 3 hour trip from San Jose Airport - two of those hours on a precarious mountains road - led us to the Arenal Volcano area. We spent close to a week here, amid luxury and great service. As we registered, we were given a glass of wine - really welcome after the long trip.
Make sure you rent a GPS with your car rental. Maps will not do the country justice!
The hotel was nicely situated for all our planned trips, the volcano, zip-lining, and hiking in the immensely beautiful rain forest.
Do bring rain-gear, after all, it is the rain forest.
We had beautiful rooms - cabins actually, with indoor and outdoor shower and a patio with a hammock giving us a great view of the volcano.
The service was impeccable and the food, superior. We really enjoyed our stay.
Nayara it truly a hidden gem!!

Room Tip: All the rooms were great!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I absolutely LOVED this hotel. I just recently returned from a first time trip to Costa Rica with my sister and some friends. We spent 5 days (end of August early September 2013) at this hotel and this hotel exceeded any expectation we could have ever hoped to have. I have traveled a lot and I don't usually write reviews but felt I needed to in this case. First let's start with the staff they were phenomenal, very attentive, extremely courteous and knowledgeable. The level of customer service was unbelievable in that they are so good at it you don't even realize its customer service. Instead it feels like your are a guest (in a spectacular home) of an old friend. We planned several excursions in the area and every day we came back we were greeted by name by the front desk staff who genuinely seemed interested in our days adventures and whether we enjoyed them. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast everyday (dinner 2 of the 5 nights we were there) and the wine bar (almost) every night we were there. I did indulge in the onsite spa and it was also a wonderful experience. The casita we were in was the closest to the pool but we were not disturbed at all during our stay with pool noise and woke up to gorgeous views of the Arenal Volcano every morning.The pictures on the website really don't do it justice. If you want a luxurious hotel, with above 5 star service in one of the most beautiful countries in Central America. This hotel is it. I'm literally counting down the days until I can visit here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 64 in Arenal Volcano National Park
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#3 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Volcano Lodge & Springs
Volcano Lodge & Springs
#15 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!