“Five Star Luxury Resort and Spa; We did not want to leave!”

Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Nayara is a five star luxury hotel that provides personalized service. The staff are very attentive, know your names and are extremely pleasant and helpful (a special thank you to Victor who was very gracious and kind to us during our stay). The Nayara is located at the base of the spectacular Arenal Volcano, The Nayara is an oasis of beauty and tranquility surrounded by lush tropical rainforest. THIS IS A GREAT HONEYMOON DESTINATION! We were not on our honeymoon but met many couples who were. Words cannot convey to the reader the shear beauty of the grounds and bungalows. We stayed in the Nayara Suite number 38 (spend the extra money it is worth it). The Nayara Suite is set in a octagonal design, is very spacious and private including a private balcony with a Jacuzzi, table, chairs and hammock overlooking the Arenal Volcano. The suite has both indoor and outdoor showers for two and dual sinks. Dinner and breakfast were included in our package. Both were very good (food and service). My Wife and I utilized the Resort's Spa for a couples massage. WOW WOW WOW. The Spa is open air (jungle noises as you receive treatment), the staff was excellent and in total, one of the best spa experiences we ever had. If you have travel plans to Costa Rica do not miss the opportunity to stay at the Nayara, you will not be disappointed. We cant wait for our return visit.

4  Thank stonecroft
Write a ReviewReviews (3,394)

Reviewed September 17, 2012

The service was excellent, the facilities, rooms, restaurants, cleanliness, punctuality, and the treatment. The human and professional qualities of the Nayara Hotel staff gave me an unforgettable holiday.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We arrived at Hotel Nayara after a stay on the caribbean coast of Costa Rica. This was our "splurge", as it was costing as much per night as four nights at our last hotel. But we were not disappointed. We booked ahead on a special for the Nayara Suite and stayed in Cabina 39, which was a little walk from the restaurants and pool, but not too inconvenient. We had a direct view to the volcano from the bed, but because it was so overcast, we didn't get much views of it. The room was impeccable, very clean and comfortable. It was nice to get a little bit of air conditioning when we wanted it, or just enjoy the open air. I loved both the indoor and outdoor showers... amazing. Our suite seemed pretty secluded from the main path, and we never saw anyone else when walking up the offshoot path to our room. It was definitely a romantic and beautiful place, and alot of the couples there were only their honeymoon. Please... do the other guests a favor and don't make this a family trip, as a guest who stayed here, I really enjoyed not having kids around (because kids should be allowed to run around and play and have fun on vacation, and if they were doing it here, it would have really ruined the vibe for me). One of our absolute favorite places was the pool, which was at the most perfect temperature to sit in, and we loved the swim up bar, the amazing drinks and the very tasty bar food. We dined one night at Altamira which had very attentive service, and one night at Sushi Amor, which was very fun, and we got to enjoy a thunder/lightning storm on their outdoor lounge area.

The staff was very attentive and always friendly. We felt very special and taken care of. Only negative comment I could make was that wireless internet was not available in our room, and they addressed this on check in. We were able to take our ipads/phones to the pool/bars, and had great coverage. But on a vacation... not super essential, it just would have been nice.

Great stay, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic getaway (but many resorts in the area looked amazing too)

Room Tip: The suites seem to be a bit farther from the main lobby, pool, restaurant, so just keep this in mind...
2  Thank Kelly A
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Nayara is a beautiful property. We stayed in a bunglow 21 that had an amazing view of the volcano. The room was spacious and well maintained. The pool area is small, but there is another private area with several jacuzzi's and lounges. The staff at the hotel were always available to answer questions, make suggestions and provide help. The breakfast meal was an excellent and varied selection of foods to please most. The hotel is located about 10 minutes from La Fortuna and about the same to Tabacon hot springs so it is very central. I would happily stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights. The Nayara is a fine property. A few nits here and there but overall, it fell a bit short of all the rave reviews written here, IMHO.

The Nayara Suite is very nice, but while spacious, not as big as the wide angle pictures on the website suggest. The suite had a large balcony with a peek of Arenal due to the high hedges. Very private nonetheless. Beds were good. The bathroom is as big or bigger than the sleeping area. Smallest 1100 sq ft I have ever seen. Lots of space but lacking something...a bit of character or warmth, I think

We had an insect problem during 2 nights of our stay that required maintenance visits late in the evening. We could not tell where they were coming from. The next night, I awoke after going to bed to find another large ant crawling on my neck. The night attendant could not find housekeeping around 10 pm and had to send out for bug spray. The next day, the hotel manager organized a thorough cleaning and treatment and kindly gave us complimentary spa treatments, which was much appreciated. I cannot fault how the problem was handled, but it should not have happened. The nonsense about CR being in the jungle doesn't hold water when the three other luxe properties we stayed in didn't have this problem. One factor may have been that the underside of our bed looked like it had not been dusted in quite a while, as well as high wall ledges over the bed. Nor would it hurt to use an exterminator, even with their 3 leaf eco-rating. I don't think they want their guests bitten by fire ants.

The food in the main restaurant was decent to good. The hamburger at the pool bar was barely edible. Breakfasts were excellent and included in the rate. Service was mixed, some nights very fine and other times ordinary. The sushi at the sushi restaurant was OK, nothing special though the service was very good.

Nayara has a beautiful spa and the treatments were excellent. The staff there were very nice.

There is no wi-fi in the room. Free wi-fi and international internet calls available in the lobby...a long walk especially in a downpour. The free calls were a nice touch, but a luxury property should have in room wi-fi.

The pool is nice, with ample chaises, but the spas were not as hot as they should be.

Lastly, a special was offered after we booked. The hotel took over a week to respond to my travel agent, declining to give us the lower promo rate which included dinner. Another luxury property we stayed at automatically gave is their promo rate after we booked without asking. That is what luxury properties do. I later learned the hotel was fully booked at the last minute after a T+L top rating on their spa, which is warranted. Just not the hotel IMHO.

In summary, a very nice hotel but the rave reviews raised expectations for a 5 star experience, when I can only give it 4 stars after staying here. It was the least favorite among Grano de Oro, Peace Lodge and Los Altos de Eros.

Room Tip: Maybe find a cheaper 4 star hotel and save alot of money for a similar experience. Bring RAID.
1  Thank Hencat
Jorge G, Manager at Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear guest,

We would like to apologize profusely for the incident. Since we opened our doors this is the first time we have had this kind of problem brought to our attention and want you to know that we have taken the necessary action to make sure that this situation will not happen again

Jorge Gutierrez
Resident Manager

Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I just returned from 5 days at the Nayara Hotel and Spa. Unfortunately I am going to write a review that echoes so much of what has already been said but I can't help but to gush along with all of the other travelers.

From the moment that we arrived at the hotel the staff could not have been any friendlier or more helpful. I am not one that likes to be overwhelmed with assistance and I felt that the amount of attention was just right and most importantly very genuine. I wanted to also observe that not once did it feel that any of the people we interacted with were only looking for a tip (which was not the case at other hotels on our trip),

The first evening we went to sit on the great deck at the sushi restaurant to enjoy the 2 for 1 happy hour and great view of the volcano! When we decided we wanted dinner I wanted to try the sushi but my husband is allergic to seafood. When we inquired with the waitress if he could order from a menu that was for one of the other onsite restaurants she brought over ALL of the menus and told us that we could order anything we wanted at any of the locations at any time. Just another example of how the entire resort really strives to ensure your stay is truly perfect.

I also wanted to make special note of Elquin at the pool bar and Romeo at the wine bar. They were truly friends by the time we left and I can't wait to get back to see them!! I cannot recommend the pairing dinner at the wine bar enough. Each of the small plates was amazing and the wines perfectly paired. It was such a fun evening that was truly something special.

As all the travelers have noted the rooms are amazing! We were in suite #38 and it was just perfect. It was midway between the pool/lobby and the far end of the resort. It was wonderfully quiet and had a completely unobstructed view of the volcano right from the bed! The outdoor shower is a treat and the deck was enjoyed each afternoon (especially when there was a late day rain shower!).

The rest of the grounds were simply unparalleled! In a region that is so warm and wet I don't know how they keep all of the gorgeous polished wood so absolutely immaculate! There was not a single chip, scratch or worn spot and the care was obvious. The pool was perfect and we never had to worry about getting a seat when we wanted to spend time there.

The resort is truly a special place. It is rare that we make 'vacation friends' but I have to say that we found ourselves chatting with other guests all the time. Being in such a perfect location with such wonderful people made for a vacation to remember. We can't wait to return!!

Room Tip: We were in room 38 which was amazing but it seemed that they all were!
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Nayara is one of its kind....its a resort without the hustle and bustle of typical resorts...it is very very peaceful, has great views, private sanctuaries galore and excellent food. The people are helpful and friendly. The manager Jorge is grounded, focused on your pleasures and ensures that you leave happy. The property is unbelievably clean....despite all the wood in the casitas, we did not find a speck of dust. I am never this happy about spending my money.....but Nayara is very special. If there is one place I would like to return to in my life, it will be here.

Welldone Nayara!
Read more @ http://rohanincostarica.blogspot.com/

Room Tip: They are all facing the volcano and are almost identical in the privacy and quiet. That said if you...
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
Nayara Springs
Nayara Springs
#1 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 64 in Arenal Volcano National Park
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#13 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Volcano Lodge & Springs
Volcano Lodge & Springs
#15 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!