“Beautiful hotel and lovely people”

Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens
GreenLeadersGold level
Thousand Oaks, California
“Beautiful hotel and lovely people”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We enjoyed our 4 night stay at the beautiful Hotel Nayara in Arenal. First off, the premises are magnificent. The landscaping is replete with colorful native foliage and is itself a locale for bird watching. There are 50 individual and distinct bungalows, virtually each with a view of the Arenal volcano (dormant at the moment). The units are beautifully appointed-ours had a private patio with hammock and outdoor jacuzzi bathtub. What really distinguishes Nayara, however, is the quality of the staff. These folks are genuinely kind and warm people who are genuinely concerned about your experience. We really have never experienced such a degree of service from the heart. Jorge, the manager, was so helpful to us in every way-great guy, professional and friendly. He truly extended himself. Lindsay, the American transplant concierge, was likewise terrific. She is very knowledgeable about the area, friendly and down to earth. Our primary waiter, Josue, was first rate. Difficult to leave.

We river rafted on the Balsa River (2-3 level rapids) with Wave Expeditions-excellent experience. Gerald was the group leader-he did a fine job. Tom was the guide on our raft. He was excellent, skilled and careful. Followed by a traditional lunch at a local farm house.

Room Tip: Virtually all have a view of the volcano.
3 Thank DShain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (930)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This place was great on all levels. The food was great, the room was great, the employees were great, and the grounds were great. I would go back to this place and I have told all my friends to go too.

Room Tip: We stayed in 34 and the view was something else. I could sit there for hours on that patio either o...
3 Thank Cameron M
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My wife and I were here for our honeymoon in 2011. I have waited to write the review because I feel that reviews on Trip Advisor are bluntly honest and for good reason. They are written by the customer, for the customer. Too often, I have read rebuttals from management (not toward my review...this is my first) toward honest customers, and the management ends up ripping on the customer and recalling conversations that may or may not be true. I don't want to engage in any conversation...just give a review that will help others who may choose to visit.

I was in a Nayara Suite. The bathroom with the outdoor and indoor showers was extremely nice. The bed is comfortable and nice. The grounds are very nice, and manicured. The restaurant area was nice, but not spectacular. The food was decent. The views of the volcano from the Suite were incredible. With all the good, I just didn't feel the magic of Nayara, and I have felt that in other places. Here are some things that I've given a lot of thought to in an effort to isolate why I gave 4 stars instead of 5:

We received no towel/drink upon arrival to Nayara. The front desk attendants were talking to one another. It was kind of unprofessional, but good customer service is hard to come by these days. Also, the resort had what I'd call a bit of a tipping culture feel. I get that...I've been there where you need money. And I want to tip. I just don't want to feel like it's expected because you think I'm rich. I'm not rich...I just received an awesome gift from a family member and was blessed to come here. Other places I've been provide service because they really want to help you. You really feel the sincerity. I just didn't get that here. A small detail that makes all the difference and separates 4 from 5 stars.

It seemed like the wait staff at times did not pay attention to detail or what we asked for. Example: A waiter asked us what drink we'd like for breakfast. He came back out without drinks. He asked again 5 minutes later after we asked for his service. We told him again what drinks we wanted. He brought out the wrong drinks out eventually. Again, not a big deal in and of itself, but little details like this were missing at times.

I hope this review can only serve to help Nayara improve. I would stay there again, but again, $300 a night is not something everyone from the USA has (very few can pay that), so for that money, at least here in the USA, we expect quite a lot. I do think Nayara is a great place in a beautiful location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank peetdoor
Jorge G, Manager at Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Nayara with others. We at Nayara take all of our guests’ feedback very seriously and in a constructive manner, so we want to first thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay. Delivering impeccable service to all of our guests is a key tenet of Nayara, therefore your experiences are invaluable for us to learn and grow.

We constantly review and monitor our standards and we are taking action so that no area of our service to our guests is compromised. We have implemented that all guests, no matter what their time of arrival, will receive the amenities such as a cold towel and a refreshing beverage. We have also reviewed service protocol with our restaurant team so that all members are clear on what it takes to maintain the highest standards of service that we provide for our guests, and that means asking for drink orders only once, and delivering those drinks in a timely and accurate fashion. This involves constant training and reviewing our Nayara style of service with our staff and management to ensure that each and every guests is treated with the utmost respect and care that is deserved.

Again, we thank you for bringing these service issues to our attention and for your candid comments.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Jorge Gutierrez
Resident Manager
Arenal Nayara
Eastern Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Nayara and our only complaint was that we did not stay longer.

PROS - everything! from the moment we arrived to check-out the staff of the Nayara were actively trying to assist us in every way possible. The grounds are beautiful and lush. The rooms are large and luxurious. We especially enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzi with a view of the (somewhat cloudy) volcano. meals in the restaurant were delicious with lots of choice. the spa was breathtaking and services were exceptional. we booked the sky trek + sky walk + sky tram tour through the hotel and it were impressed with how professionally run the tour was. we also booked a shuttle to the airport through Nayara and were very pleased with the service offered.

we would not hesitate to return or recommend this hotel to other couples.

Room Tip: Ask for a King sized 4-poster bed (otherwise you may get put in a room with 2 doubles).
3 Thank esbwb
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 30, 2012

If I were to make a list of improvements that need to be made my list would be empty. The service was excellent from the moment we pulled up. The resturant served us some of the best food we had in Costa Rica! Our room as all the others at Nayara faced Arenal, they were also surrounded by the most amazing local flora. It honestly felt like paradise. We had the Nayara suite which was very large and decorated in a way that just makes you smile. THe outdoor tub was relaxing and so was the private hammock. The room service was excellent, they even turned down our beds when we were at dinner. I will never know what another hotel is like in La Fortuna because I will never go anywhere else but here! I know it sounds too nice, like there should be something to improve, but the management and staff and Nayara have it figured out! Staying here would be a good choice for anyone, you will not be disapointed no matter how picky you are. Thanks Nayara for a great honeymoon, we will be seeing you guys agian!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ERIC J
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I chose to stay at Nayara after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. The stay was perfect from our arrival to departure.

Reception provided us with cold towels and a freshly crafted fruit punch while the amenities of the hotel and our room were discussed.

We had Room #15, which I would recommend to anyone making reservations. First, it was on the side closest to the Arenal Volcano, which provided a view of only jungle and volcano. Second, there are no rooms to the left side. This leaves neighbors only on the right, who are separated by a wall of foliage. This made for great views of not only the Volcano, but also the thunderstorm and ensuing double-rainbow. The outdoor shower and personal outdoor Jacuzzi were amazing extra touches.

We were able to arrange all our tours through Nayara, as well. This led to ease of planning, and the companies that provided the tours were very professional.

The food and bars at Nayara were also great to spend time at. Between the restaurant, sushi bar, pool bar, and wine bar, there is an option for any traveler. If you happen to like everything Nayara has to offer, you are able to experience something new every night. In addition to several venues, there were also several events offered at the food spots, from a guest appetizer reception to a happy hour at the sushi bar.

If you are feeling more adventurous, the town of La Fortuna is close by. We tried several good restaurants, like Ceviche Del Rey. If you are a soccer fan, it’s great to stop by Don Rufino’s and take it in like some of the locals do.

All in all, this hotel was a great way to kick of a vacation of relaxation and adventure.

3 Thank Anne W
Rochester NY
Reviewed April 29, 2012

As a travel agent, I've booked honeymooners at this resort and had enthusiast feedback.
From the moment we arrived, everything was perfect. From our deck (with jacuzzi and hammock) we were face-on the volcano. We had a huge indoor AND outdoor shower.
Each room is so privately surrounded by foliage you wouldn't even know there were other units
there.
Swimup bar, Sushi restaurant and wine bar were wonderful.
The excellent staff arranged our SkyWalk, Volcano hike and zipline.

Room Tip: No need to stay in the highest room category. Lowest priced rooms are perfect and have a better vie...
2 Thank jetkitty
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 63 in Arenal Volcano National Park
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#4 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Volcano Lodge & Springs
Volcano Lodge & Springs
#15 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!