“Nice Hotel”

Casa Luna Hotel & Spa
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at the Casa Luna hotel mid-July 2012 and loved our stay. The rooms were very basic, so don't expect a resort experience. But the bed was nice and soft and there was AC & coffee maker. The views of the volcano from the hotel was amazing! The breakfast was good and drinks were awesome. The rooms didn't have proper insulation and bugs were crawling into the room from under the door since we were on the 1st floor. A 2nd floor room would have solved the issue.

The hotel is very close to the LaFortuna waterfall and we hiked up there one day. Getting into town was not bad either, a $4 taxi ride.

Overall a nice stay!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor, less bugs and better views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hobbeshere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We really loved this hotel. It was very beautiful! I booked it back in November for our June trip. When I booked the hotel I think it was rated around #26 out of 64 hotels. I kept checking back on TripAdvisor to read new reviews. It kept climbing in rank over the months. It is now #16 out of 64. I believe this is due to the wonderful staff that is working here and the beautiful location of Casa Luna.

We stayed here from Friday until Monday morning (3 nights). We stayed in room B4. The room was a little smaller than I thought it would be, but it worked fine for the three of us (myself,husband and 8 year old). The view from the deck and window was AMAZINGLY gorgeous! I just love that view of Arenal Volcano. The grounds on this place are unbelieveable! There are so many plants, trees and flowers. It’s really overwhelmingly beautiful. They also have several ponds in front of the rooms along the path to the cottages. All of the rooms are set into cottages/pods/buildings of 4 – two on top and two on the bottom. I like this, as I feel it keeps the noise down. I was really surprised at how well the air conditioning worked in the room! My husband does HVAC and said that it’s called a “mini split A/C”. All I know is that it would cool it down FAST! I didn’t remember to take photos of the actual room until the last day of our trip when we were leaving, so it sort of looks like a disaster, but that’s due to us! It had two beds (full size? Or queen?), night stand, TV (why anyone would watch it in paradise, I do NOT know!), drawers with extra blankets (only sheet/comforter were on the bed, and bathroom with a really tall shower head (yay, I didn’t have to do squats to take a shower). I think some people comment that they don’t like the shower with the half door – half of it is open, so water kind of gets everywhere, but I found that it appears that most places in CR have showers like this and usually a much lower showerhead. Just make sure you don’t put the clothes you’re going to wear on the floor and you’ll be just fine! The deck was wonderful! It had two nice big chairs and a table with the amazing volcano view and views of Casa Luna’s gardens. The room did not have an alarm clock, but the desk was very good at calling exactly when I needed for a wake up call. I thought the beds were very comfortable as I slept really well!

The pool was also absolutely gorgeous! I loved the view from there as well! There was a swim up bar and I did see a guy working there a few of the days, although we did not use it.

There is a lot of wildlife on the grounds – birds, butterflies, lizards, geckos, frogs and toads. My husband and 8 year old daughter’s favorite thing was to go try to catch the toads/frogs at night with their headlamps. There is also a nice little river toward the back of the property with paths going through it. There were some mosquitos down in that area, but I didn’t notice them anywhere else on the property! As a matter of a fact, I’d say we have way more mosquitos in Colorado than they have here!

Our first night we arrived at the hotel at 5:00 p.m. after a long day of traveling. Ricardo greeted us at the front desk and had someone bring us delicious fruit welcome drinks. It was very delicious. We were very tired, so we just decided to eat at the hotel restaurant for that night. I like the layout of the restaurant. It’s very big and open. It’s connected to the bar. The staff in both of these places were extremely nice. Our server was great. His name was Adrian. Our meal was very delicious – ceviche for an appetizer (really yummy), my daughter had fettucine alfredo (she loved it), I had Vodka Shrimp in White Sauce (delicious) and my husband had the Spinach Ricotta Ravioli. We also had 2 beers, a pina colada, a bottle of water and the pineapple flambed dessert. The total bill with tip was $57. This isn’t outrageously expensive considering how much food we ate, but it’s not cheap either. We did eat in town at Soda Visquez (for about $5-$8 a plate) and loved it. See my review for this place. We did eat the buffet breakfast every morning and we all thought that it offered a lot of choices and was very good for a “included” meal compared to what some places serve!

They have a spa, but I cannot speak about the services, as we did not use it. If it’s anything like the rest of the hotel, it’s probably fabulous!

We did not rent a car. It wasn’t really necessary for us, as most tour companies will pick you up at the hotel and a cab ride is just $4 to town. We did take a cab to Proyecto Asis (highly recommend visiting there also) and it was about $35 for the ride there and the same amount back to town. We also did a Twilight Safari Float by Rio Tropicales and the rappelling by Pure Trek. Lastly we walked to La Fortuna Waterfall from the hotel. It’s very doable, if you are an active person. If you are some city person who never walks anywhere or gets any exercise, than maybe it’s not for you! It’s about 3 KM from the hotel. We left at NOON (after we did the rappelling) so it was very HOT on our walk! There is a little house down the street that will sell coconut waters for $1 each. We bought them! It took maybe an hour to walk there from the hotel, stopping for our 8 year old to have breaks. We messed around at the waterfall for a few hours and then hiked all the stairs back up and walked the 2 KM back to the hotel. We did stop at a little place called “Neptune’s” on the way back. It’s a gift shop and they have smoothies (batidos). They were delicious! They also have a cool oven outside and the lady said that they were going to start serving pizzas too. They guy makes really cool hammocks! If you want one – buy it here! We should have bought one!

The only thing negative I have to say about the place is their wifi service. They supposedly had it everywhere, but it did not work everywhere. I could usually get it to work in the restaurant or in the reception area, but NEVER in the room. I spoke with several other travelers that were staying in there in various rooms and they all had the same problem. I believe that they do really have a router for the room area, but it does NOT work properly, as I couldn’t find a single person that actually could make it work in their room. They should really try to fix this – as it would be better, but that’s really my only complaint.

Another thing that I found out right before we left (due to another person’s review) was that they do not allow smoking on the hotel premisis. This person was complaining that they had to walk down the street to smoke. From another perspective…THANK YOU CASA LUNA!!!! I LOVE this policy and was so excited to breathe the fresh air everywhere! I hate smoke and do not like to be subjected to anyone else’s second hand smoke! I think this is a fabulous policy! I didn’t know this when I booked, but was pleasantly surprised by it! Actually I was pleasantly surprised by how many restaurants do not allow smoking at them. Yay for NO SMOKING!

Overall, we had a great experience at Casa Luna and would highly recommend it to anyone. We would definitely stay there again the next time we’re in La Fortuna!

Room Tip: I would definitely request an upstairs room - better views! B4 was a great one.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Nicole A
Tustin, California
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel is just outside town with a great view of the volcano from the room. It was great to wake up early and sit on the chairs outside and watch the wildlife with the volcano in the background or relax in the pool at the end of a long day of hiking. The staff were friendly and informed and helped us find a great hot spring resort to visit with the kids.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Last minute overnight in La Fortuna found us at Casa Luna. Very welcoming and beautiful reception space set the scene. Rooms were set in individual buildings, each fo which housed 4 rooms. Front terrace area with sitting chairs. Very spacious bathrooms and super hot water! Drinks and dinner at restaurant were reasonably priced and very delicious! Would definitely stay again if given the opportunity!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank sivartyad
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Nice, good value resort on the foothills of the volcano, on the way to the waterfall. Good points - nice grounds, pool, spa, views of the volcano from the first floor rooms. Bad points - basic rooms, breakfast and expensive food, impersonal staff - I suppose jaded by big tour groups from San Jose. Views of the volcano at night when it was active, before 2010, must have been amazing!

Room Tip: First floor rooms with balcony have better volcano views
Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Cruz, California, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2012

A group of friends and I ended up staying at this hotel after booking through Groupon with Costa Rica Descents. We arrived late and were happy to see that the reception stayed open to help us check in. The rooms were decent sized with AC. We booked three rooms for our group and every room had fantastic views of the volcano surrounded by beautiful flowers and greenery. The pool was steps from our room and the water was perfect temperature to swim at any point during the day. The staff was also very friendly and accommodating. The only improvement I would suggest is to work out the wifi for the rooms. It seemed to work fine at the reception and other parts of the hotel but wifi in the rooms was very spotty.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mariana B
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Hotel was close was around a 1.5 miles to the main square.The majority of the time we couldn't walk because during the rainy season there could be a downpour at any time. Make sure the cab doesn't overcharge you on the rate. Should not cost you more than 4 bucks. Grounds were kept in great condition. I had a coffee exfoliation which was amazing. Breakfast included beans, rice and eggs with fruit everyday. The folks at the hotel were very helpful and kind. I used costa rican descents for all of my excursions. They went out of their way in all shapes and forms. In the downtown area eat at the costa rican restaurant next to burger king. It was the best food in town, probably at there 5 times during my stay.

Room Tip: Second floor has a great view of the entire facility
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends