“Amazing adventure!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Rio Balsa Whitewater Rafting Tour from La Fortuna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Desafio Adventure Company is considered the top tour outfitter in Costa Rica's Epicenter of Adventure near the Arenal Volcano. Desafio offers high-quality rafting tours, canyoning, biking, hiking, birdwatching, kayaking, stand up paddling, transfer with tour services, incentive programs, volunteer opportunities and much more. There are only two rules to follow with Desafio: 1) Be Safe and 2) Have Serious Fun! Look for Desafio in Downtown La Fortuna near the Arenal Volcano or take the Desafio Adventure Connections to the Monteverde, Guanacaste, San Jose, Manuel Antonio and Playa Samara! Desafio is family-owned and operated and your "one-stop-shop" for adventure travel in Costa Rica and beyond!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Utah
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Amazing adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

We just went on the "Lost Canyon" canyoneering adventure last week (11/18/08) and had a blast! The trip consists of a series of rappels down some waterfalls with a hike through the river to get from one platform to the next. Be prepared to get soaked! The largest rappel is the grand finale, which is a guided rappel down 210 feet! I am generally afraid of heights, but decided to be adventurous and conquer my fear. I'm glad I did because it was a highlight of our 1 week trip to Costa Rica.

Another perhaps often overlooked part of the trip, but certainly well worth mentioning, is the absolutely delicious lunch provided at the end. In fact, it was probably the best meal of our whole trip with a wide variety of typical foods and delicious passion fruit juice to wash it all down. My brother was still dreaming of that meal days after our trip with Desafio!

Desafio is a top-notch company with fabulous guides, amazing food, and adrenaline pumping fun. I HIGHLY recommend it.

1 Thank ablove

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
USA
“Rafting on the River Balsa (Part Deux)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2008

This is my second time in Costa Rica and I chose once again to use Desafio for my rafting adventures. I was happy to have Didier as my guide again. He is very professional, friendly and highly knowledgeable of the river, making the experience one of the best. I had some serious fun!

New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“canyoneering- waterfall rappeling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2008

We went on this tour on October 10, 2008, it was awesome. You will be wet the whole entire time. The guides are extremely nice and helpful. It is an experience of a lifetime. There are four rappels- two small ones, and two big ones- both about 200 ft. Lunch was also really good. Use good waterproof shoes, I do not recommend wearing sneakers. You are wet the whole time and walking through the canyon- walking on rocks which do get slippery. I actually did fall, while we were walking. Totally worth it.

asheville, nc
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“canyoneering is great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

We are an older couple and could have been treated as helpless by the guides, instead we were treated with great respect, helped when we needed it and allowed to find our own way when we were comfortable with it.

The trip is extraordinary. We loved the rappeling and walking through the beauty of the canyon. Be prepared to be completely wet the whole time. Wear shoes you can trust not to slip and go for it! Our primary guide's comment "how do you like my office?" says it all. He loves his job and he loves working with people. Safety is their primary concern.

What an adventure!

2 Thank contradancer
Tampa, FL
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Canyoning-Awesome and want to do it again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

I swear this was the one of the thrills of my lifetime, after skydiving, mountain rapelling and the like. Do not go in jeans or tennis shoes. Wear closed toed Tevas or hiking water shoes. You will get soaked and stay soaked. Take a water proof camera or if yours didn't work like mine (after I got back home in the states) you can buy a Picture disk from their photographer which is worth the money (I believe $25+).

Desafio and their photographer worked with me after I got home to find my traveling companion and I amongst the hundreds of pictures they already had. They found us, made a CD for us and shipped it to me after they recieved our payment via credit card.

The tour company picked us up so early from our hotel that the hotel's restaurant wasn't open. Find a way to EAT before you go on this Canyoning tour and bring a bottle of water with you on a shoulder strap or a mini backpack. I could've sworn the description called for fruit and water along the way, but that didn't happen. You will exert yourself but have the time of your life. You will have a very strenuous hike back UP the mountain you just rapelled down from and it will kick your butt but alas, the food waiting on the other side is scrumptuous and plentiful! The guides were professional and caring and I would recommend them to everyone!

We made sure the guides knew we had another tour with Desafio very soon after this one ended and they shifted and shuttled us to a hotel that had ZipLining and we barely made it. Make sure you bring your camera for this! I've ziplined in Mexico before, but Costa Rica kicks Mexico's [---] 10 fold! Thank god there's no difficult up-the-mountain hiking for this because I was already beat from canyoning. This was pleasant, non threatening, peaceful and very scenic! They gave us water and shuttled us back to our starting point by a huge tractor and passenger trailer. Unfortunately, there was no one from Desafio to take us back to our hotel. The Zipline guides called Desafio and they sent a personal taxi to us for pick up in no time flat!

For the couple of snafus, I would still recommend Desafio because I felt 100 percent safe the entire day. Beat, but safe! They saved my butt when it came down to my own camera snafu!

3 Thank travelbuni01