“White water thrill”

and up
Rio Balsa Whitewater Rafting Tour from La Fortuna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Desafio Adventure Company is considered the top tour outfitter in Costa Rica's Epicenter of Adventure near the Arenal Volcano. Desafio offers high-quality rafting tours, canyoning, biking, hiking, birdwatching, kayaking, stand up paddling, transfer with tour services, incentive programs, volunteer opportunities and much more. There are only two rules to follow with Desafio: 1) Be Safe and 2) Have Serious Fun! Look for Desafio in Downtown La Fortuna near the Arenal Volcano or take the Desafio Adventure Connections to the Monteverde, Guanacaste, San Jose, Manuel Antonio and Playa Samara! Desafio is family-owned and operated and your "one-stop-shop" for adventure travel in Costa Rica and beyond!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Houston, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“White water thrill”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The folks at Desafio did a great job of creating an adventure that I won't forget. We rafted on the Sarapiqui which has a 3-4 rating. We were on the river for about 2- 2 1/2 hours (including a break midway). The rapids never seemed to end but I was able to enjoy the scenery along the way as well. Our raftsman, Jose, did an excellent job of balancing adrenaline and safety. You will get drenched and love every minute of it.
I rafted on a 2-3 rated river a couple of years ago, also in Costa Rica, but it was nothing like this. A young couple on our raft who love these type of activities said that it was great by their standards too.
The Desafio crew includes a kayak riding cameraman. You can buy a DVD with pictures of your adventure for $30. I know this sounds like it could be cheesy but it really is worth it. There is no way that you can take any pictures on this trip. The cameraman did an excellent job. Our DVD has over 170 high quality pictures of just our raft, as well as some wild-life shots to round out the purchase. I start laughing every time I start looking at the pictures.

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
“Highest recommendation! Will be back!”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I went canyoneering yesterday and had an incredible experience! Our guides, Victor and Miguel, and our photographer, Eliomar, were super fun, professional, and personable. Our canyoneering experience was even better than I anticipated, and I had high expectations! We're looking forward to using this company again for other activities in the future.

Philadelphia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Desafio is awesome!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Highly recommend the white water rafting (2-3) tour with Carlos. Great fun and the best meal we've had in the area. If you do no other tour in this area, do this one. Great for young and young at heart.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Desafio will make your holiday!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Hernan, Miguel, David, Carlos 2, Paola, our drivers Olivier and Carlos 1... Serious this group works so damn hard for you to make memories and be safe. How else would I remember so many if their names? Even Julito was great for our two repels with him. We did the mambo combo (repels and rafting) WHAT a day. Amazing photos and memories for life, that's the whole point of living, I hope to come back and see this gang again. You will feel safe, you will be safe. We went with two other companies on our CR trip and barely remember them. Even the lil road trips were hilarious. Hernan has a mean Costa Rican Bomb with a Pipa. Pura Vida!

San Jose, Costa Rica
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best tour company around”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have done a variety of tours with Desafio. I live here in Costa Rica and I recommend them to anyone anytime. Their heart and soul are in the work they do. They are knowledgeable, safe and fun. I encourage anyone to do any tour wtih this company. I recently did the stand up paddle on Lake Arenal and it was a great time. The stand up paddle is pretty easy but still a nice little challenge. The Lake itself is quite impressive. The Guide teaches you about nature, Costa Rican history and the surrounding area. We tried to do some fun tricks and fell off a few times. The lake is refreshing and an absolute joy. You stop to have some fresh fruit on an island and can enjoy the breathtaking views of the Volcano. Many of my friends tried the rappeling, rafting and zip lining with them. Everyone raves what a wonderful time they have. Desafio is professional, reliable and excellent in every way!