“Incredibly well organised!!”

$85.00*
Sarapiquí River Whitewater Rafting Tour from La Fortuna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Desafio Adventure Company is considered the pioneering tour outfitter in Costa Rica's Epicenter of Adventure near the Arenal Volcano since 1992. Desafio offers high-quality rafting, canyoning, biking, hiking, birdwatching, kayaking, stand up paddling, unique cultural experiences, transfer with tour services, incentive programs, volunteer opportunities and much more. We only have two rules: 1) Be Safe! and 2) Have Serious Fun! Look for Desafio in Downtown La Fortuna near the Arenal Volcano or take the Desafio Adventure Connections to the Monteverde, Guanacaste, San Jose, Manuel Antonio, Playa Samara and now Leon, Nicaragua! Desafio is family-owned and operated and your "one-stop-shop" for adventure travel in Costa Rica and beyond!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just returned from a trip to Costa Rica and used Desafio for a white water trip from Arenal area. This was the best organised trip we have been on... My husband and I travelled with our two boys aged 11 and 13 and non of us had ever done white water rafting before so where a little nervous however we had a fantastic time. The trip was very well organised even providing towels at the end and plastic bags to put your wet things into!! No one fell out and got hurt and the boys never stopped smiling. We all felt safe and in good hands all the way thru the experience.We had enjoyed it that much we even booked to go this again WITH ANOTHER COMPANY in MANUEL ANTONIO and this experience was no where near as good as we got flipped out of the boat and my husband lost his wedding ring and I injured my back on rocks so in comparion if you want to do this we would definetely recommend Desfaio for a 5 star trip!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Desafio was recommended to us by a friend, and we contacted them to help us with a trip to Costa Rica, as we'd never been there before.

First - They were highly knowledgeable, and after a couple of emails they not only set up our adventures, but also our hotels, transportation, everything!! This is not just an adventure company, but a company you can rely on to help you every step of the way.

Second - Excellent, and I mean EXCELLENT communication. When our flight was in danger of being delayed from the U.S., I emailed them to see what I needed to do. I got an answer in 5 minutes, and after going back and forth on email a couple of times they had plan B all set up. Thankfully we made our flight, and didn't have to use plan B, but their quick responses gave us confidence that we would be OK either way.

Third - I dealt with several different staff members by email over the months and weeks of planning before our trip, and NO ONE dropped the ball!! They all seemed to be on the same page and it got to where I had confidence in anyone that responded to me from their company.

Fourth - At first, I wanted to continually confirm everything, but after a while I had so much confidence that the transportation was always there, on time, the adventures were organized and everyone knew who we were and that what we were doing, that I just relaxed and enjoyed the service!!

Now... for the adventures:

Volcano Hike - WOW! Not a bad walk/climb for a couple in their 50's, and when we got to the highest point we could go the view was breathtaking! Highly recommended.

La Fortuna Waterfall - Gorgeous waterfall, and worth the trip. But... you have to climb down, AND UP, over 480 steps each way. You need to be prepared to do that hike. But if you are, it's worth it!

Canyon Negro trip - Um.. this one was so-so. The actual river boat ride was nice, and we saw plenty of wildlife. But the ride there and back, (2 hours each way, and a lot of bumpy rugged roads) was a bit unexpected, and l-o-n-g.... We did it once, but probably not again.

Sky Adventure - HOLY COW! Nice relaxing walk through the rain forest with a guide who did a great job of pointing out things and answering all of our questions. Walked over several suspended bridges, and saw a couple of beautiful waterfalls. Very nice. THEN... we took a tram up the mountainside, very nice, and then did the zip-lines back down. Absolutely the most fun we've ever had! My wife is afraid of heights, and was very tempted to ride the "chicken train" back down after the 2 practice runs on the top. But she decided to give it a go, and after finishing up the 8th and final run to the bottom she was hooked and said she'd do it again! The 7th run, (Big Daddy), was nearly 1/2 mile long, and was partway through the rain forest. Simply amazing.

All in all this was a wonderful trip thanks to the Desafio people and their recommendations and personal service. Thanks!!!

Dan and Sherry Pittenger

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My friends and I booked the 3 day adrenaline tour in La Fortuna through the Arenal Volcano. And in the words of my friend Craig "It was the best tour I've ever booked!"

Everything about this trip was easy and seamless. From booking - they added on a friend last minute with ease and took care of all the planning from transportation to lodging. From the trip itself - all of the tour guides were AMAZING! The destinations were fun, challenging, and in the most beautiful places. I really can't say enough about what an amazing experience this was.

The three days consisted of:
Day 1: Ziplining, Volcano Hike, and Baldi Hot Springs
Day 2: White Water Adventure
Day 3: Canyoneering (Rapelling through the rain forest)

It was a fun-filled, adventure packed 3 days that definitely did not disappoint. If you are ever in Costa Rica this is a trip not to be missed!!

1  Thank Kim S
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I had a tour booked with Desafio for a white-water rafting trip on our Costa Rica honeymoon. Since my husband had rafted before and I had not, I was a little nervous about what to expect on this excursion. I shouldn't have worried....the staff at Desafio calmed my fears and made it such an enjoyable experience from the moment we got into the van. I can't say enough about our awesome rafting guide, Jorge, and Hernan in the safety kayak. They were warm, funny, knowledgeable, and made sure we all laughed alot and had a great time. I would recommend this adventure company to anyone looking for an adrenaline rush in Costa Rica....I know my husband and I will definitely book another adventure with them on a future trip to their beautiful country. Thanks Desafio....you helped me to realize that I'm braver than I thought. Pura vida!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I'm 72 and my wife is 69. We planned a 7 day trip around 2 days of canyoneering with Desafio Adventure because we had used them last year and were very happy with their concern for our safety. They did not disappoint. Desafio planned all 7 days including transportation. We white water rafted 2 days along with the canyoneering. It's hard to say which was the best they both were great. Then we went to Samara Beach and did surfing, paddle boarding, sea kayaking and finished with horseback riding. All were exceptional. This is the most fun we ever had on vacation. Desafio we'll see you again.