“Great little hide away”

Santa Ana, California
“Great little hide away”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Hello,

My Husband and I chose to stay at Hotel Mountain Paradise for our first trip to Costa Rica. We stayed in the junior suite and our room was large with a nice waterfall shower, king bed, twin bed in the corner, lovely drapes, large sliding glass door, a personal jacuzzi, and nice rocking chairs on our patio.We decided to get married last minute and the Hotel was wonderful. They coordinated everything within days and got us a lawyer, small cake, flowers, photographer, and even took the time to show us spots where we can get married on the property. I cant recommend this place enough! everyone is always smiling and so willing to help you with any requests or questions! If you are staying in La Fortuna then this is a good spot to check out.

My only complaints about the hotel is that the pool was a little small, the breakfast could had some more variety, and the rooms got muggy. But hey! what do you expect? This isn't a party resort, the weather is humid so no matter what it will be muggy, and the breakfast is free and it was good! :) I would recommend this place to all of my friends and family! Thank you Hotel Mountain Paradise!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eva G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed July 24, 2014

The hotel stay was just ok however, the hotel charged me again even though I had booked the hotel through expedia and was charged during booking. I only found out after my return back to US when I checked my credit card bill again 2 weeks later. There wasn't any incidental charges or any other charges. When checking out, the folks at the front desk had confirmed that my credit card wasn't charged for anything. I am hoping Expedia or my credit card company would be able to help me.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is a magical hotel with cute little cottages as rooms. Each chalet/cottage is nicely decorated with tropical themed bathrooms with a little waterfall as the shower! We had a little Jacuzzi on the balcony. The view is amazing and you feel like you are actually in the middle of the rainforest. There are lovely star fruit trees, beautiful hummingbirds and a lovely view of the rainforest. We were not lucky enough to see the volcano as it was the rainy season and the clouds were covering it but our stay was truly magical.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2Mosafer
Athens, Tx
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This resort is situated in one of the most scenic environments I have ever visited. We rented a car and drove from Sardinal to La Fortuna (driving is interesting for sure but we didn't experience any major problems). The sign for the hotel faces the La Fortuna direction so we missed our turn and drove into La Fortuna but got directions from the Alamo rental shop. The resort is uphill about one mile and surrounded by the (thinned out) Costa Rica rainforest. The view of the Arenal volcano I'm sure would have been spectacular if we could see it but we were there during the rainy season so the peak of the mountain was shrouded in clouds. Don't go the rainforest during rainy season if you don't want rain! Coming from a hot dry Texas summer we didn't mind the cool weather (70s) and rain a bit! The resort is organized into small duplex cabinas that were very nice. Our teenage kids especially loved the waterfall feature in the bathrooms that also included a separate multifunction massage shower (no bath). Dining is on the European plan with breakfast included (breakfast is served at 6:30 AM and they didn't even make the coffee until then that was an issue or an early riser like me!). There were only a few other guests while we were there so it seemed we practically had the resort to ourselves. There is a nice small pool (heated and unheated sections) with a bar, and wifi is available in the dining area, pool, and lobby. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

1 Thank BrianAthens_Tx
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2014

my husband and i stayed x 2 nights in july 2014; we booked through a group travel package w/ Gate 1 Travel. christian and estaban at the front desk are wonderful -- super helpful in coordinating/arranging activities/transportation. a few the ladies that work up there could learn a few things from them. overall, our stay was good. no major complaints, and the breakfast was great. my major "complaint" if i can even call it that was all the random critters/bugs/lizards and such that come w/ the room. i've always been ridiculously terrified of everything in that department -- illogically so, actually. i think many of the folks in our overall tour group were also surprised by this...but i guess we should have assumed given the jungle-y surroundings. honestly, if anything, i definitely faced my fears many times, and i think i have grown from the experience! i did hear of one room where there was a snake, but the staff quickly removed it. given this, we never felt comfortable just relaxing in our room - but it made us seek out tons of adventures, so that worked out =)

the pool bar was ok; pretty quiet scene overall, and the pool could have used a good cleaning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deeds947
Reviewed July 20, 2014

The Staff was incredibly friendly and made it a point to provide excellent service. They got to know my family over our 4 day stay and provided unique personalized service to us. They treated us as family and not just as guests, with good humor incorporated. The pool was amazing and the swim up bar was well utilized. The rooms were very spacious with high gazebo ceilings, and the bathrooms were very unique and over-sized. The room service always left us with something new and exciting each day, as we would come in to find origami displays made out of our towels. There was a personalized golf cart taxi service as well which was neat, as each villa was privately spaced out from the other rooms. Pathways were surrounded by eloquent trees and gardens, so our villa was quiet and personal. Overall it was a great hotel and we would certainly stay again as a family.

A special thanks to Elver, Fabian, Bryan, and our maid Hilda for making our experience wonderful.

Alex, Ali, Amanda, Denise, and Greg

Room Tip: Check to see if your room has a hot tub. Some have smaller jacuzzis, but some rooms have much large...
Hurst, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2014

The rooms are more like bungalows. We had our own private pool and yard area. The bathrooms are huge. The waterfall shower was a waste of time. Personally I would have reduced the bathroom size and created a common area. Ours had only the two rooms, bathrooms, and a kitchenette. For some reason they had not installed the sink in the kitchen. We ended up sitting on the patio a lot. The free breakfast was AWESOME. It has made to order omelets or scrambled eggs, fruit, meats, pancakes, ... All of it was very good.

We had a minor issue with a double billing, but management worked hard to rectify the issue to my complete satisfaction. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Hopefully next time it won't rain quite so much.