“Clean Rooms and Great Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mountain Paradise

Hotel Mountain Paradise
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Palma De La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 183-4400, Costa Rica   |
Jacksonville, Florida
“Clean Rooms and Great Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Pura Vida! This was a great hotel with more than friendly and helpful staff. Clean rooms and grounds. We had great views of the Volcano and the rooms with your own pool are well worth the extra cost! Beds were comfortable and each cottage was just secluded enough where we didn't feel like we were in a corporate hotel in the middle of the rain forest. The staff were extremely helpful in not only ensuring we were comfortable with our stay, but also helped us get to the correct spots for our excursion pick ups as well as helped us learn basic spanish! Great hotel which really made you feel like you were away from all the hustle and bustle of a stressful city!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony092012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I just spent two nights here and wish it could have been more. I think I took more pictures of the flowers and hummingbirds on the grounds than of the volcano. The room was unreal, beautifully done with a waterfall shower in the huge bathroom and a jacuzzi out on the patio, which faces the volcano of course. The staff was eager to please from check-in to check-out. Location is also perfect, close to La Fortuna and the waterfalls there and equally close to the Arenal Volcano National Park. It is also near Lake Arenal and numerous activities in the area. I can't wait to go back. Oops, I almost forgot to mention the food. I only ate breakfast there but the food was great, from the banana pancakes to the huevos rancheros. What a spread.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room but it wouldn't hurt to request a room with a patio pool...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We loved it here. We stayed 5 days here in La Fortuna for our honeymoon and then 5 days in Guanacaste. The rooms have private porch hot tubs and the view of the volcano from the pool is amazing. The restaurant is a little pricy but the food is excellent. The breakfast buffet is pretty good. They offer free shuttle to and from the city and also for tours. We were near the zip lines, safari tours, rain forest, hot springs, etc. The rooms were secluded and private. They were very clean and spacious on the inside.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Atenas, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Grounds taking over limiting view to volcano. We had problems with hot water, had to maintenance several times. No parking close to rooms. Hotel charges you $3/day if you drink the coffee provided in your room. Limited wifi. Overall there are other hotels in the same area that provided similar accommodations with better views and grounds vegetation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view to the volcano. Many of the rooms have limited views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rrodriguez2016
Delray Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

What cant I say about this place... This place was amazing! Me and my wife stayed here for 4 nights in September 2012. (yes we were there during the earthquake). We woke up to the best view every morning. Our view from our bed consisted of our private pool and an unobstructed view of the Arenal Volcano. The grounds of the place were very well kept, but not overly manicured. You still feel like your in the jungle. I even had a lime tree by our pool for my constant flow of Coronas. Free breakfast everyday was a plus!
There are plenty of local activities in around the town of La Fortuna. I would first recommend the La Fortuna waterfall. Its a nice little hike down and a refreshing but frigid dip in the water. its a nice little hike up too. If your in for a hike thats a lot more challenging.. Cerro Chato is your challenge! its the inactive volcano next to the Arenal. Its about a 2 1/2 hour hike up and a 2 hour back down. But the view from the top is next to none! its amazing. Plus the opportunity to swim in the crater cant be matched. Its not an easy hike, moderate or better physical shape is recommended and pack some water! You get to some slippery rain forest in the top, but its a chance to see local wildlife and vegetation that you normally wouldn't. For some easy fun I recommend the Arenal Ecoglide Park. Yes Zip lining! Its on the side of the Arenal Volcano. They were very attentive and the views and line lengths were great! Lots of fun and always felt safe!
There are plenty of tours in the area. Getting down to La Fortuna was no problem. Mountain Paradise provides shuttle transportation to and from on a time schedule. We also did a white water rafting tour. We found a company that took us to some class 4 rapids. It was the most fun I had while there. Unbelievable views, information, and it was a solid day of activity. That tour finished up with a tour of a local organic farm that was self sustained and they fed us dinner there that was all from the farm as part of the package. It was delicious!
All in all. I would go back to Mountain Paradise without question. I hope to make it back there again one day to relive my experiences there. But I have a big list to accomplish first! Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is my idea of paradise--having my own clean, tastefully decorated cottage with the rainforest right outside my door. You're welcomed with a refreshing fruit drink by employees who bend over backwards to make sure everything's perfect for you.

The property was hard to find. We drove right past its entry road once and the GPS was confused about its location. Lush greenery all around, exotic flowers, amazing birds. Sitting in the rocking chair on our porch, I saw a toucan (yes a toucan!) flying in and out of the trees next door. Wild turkeys looked like small flying dinosaurs. And so many other birds that I couldn't even name. The volcano was shrouded in clouds during our two-day stay, but even so, the setting was stunning.

We were in one of the farthest cottages, but the walk didn't bother us. It's not strenuous and we weren't in a hurry. Super-spacious rooms, nicely furnished. A couple of millipedes and a frog did find their way in through the open bathroom window, but they didn't wander beyond the bathroom, which is so large that we all shared the space comfortably. This is the rainforest, after all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! My boyfriend and I stayed here for six nights in May and I loved it! The grounds of the hotel are gorgeous, lots of vegetation and flowers, birds and lizards. Everywhere we went there were hummingbirds. I knew the rooms would be nice, but they exceeded my expectations. The waterfall shower is too cool, and I loved the skylight in the bathroom. The hot tub on the porch can't be beat either.

The hotel staff was so nice and so helpful. I arranged transportation from San Jose to La Fortuna through the hotel and when we arrived, they greeted us at the door with fruit drinks. During our stay we bothered them with countless questions and they were always helpful and gracious. During our first trip into town, we ran into an issue at the bank (our own fault) and hotel staff Daniel was there off duty on personal business. He saved us and stepped in to assist, even though he wasn't even working!

I also booked two tours through the hotel, the volcano hike and the Hanging Bridges, and we really enjoyed them. The volcano hike only had 4 people and the bridges was just us. Our tour guide was Christian and he was so knowledgeable, I would highly recommend him for your tours! He had so much info on the flora and wildlife and the history of the volcano.

The hotel restaurant was nice, although a bit pricey. The pool bar also serves snacks and such. The spa was lovely. You can't beat getting a massage while listening to the birds sing and Howler monkeys in the distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple