New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“60 $ was stolen from the safe in my room...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Magic Mountain

Hotel Magic Mountain
Gorizia, Italy
“60 $ was stolen from the safe in my room...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Well, if you want my 50 cents: do not stay here, you might get robbed! I was travelling with Caravan (tour company) and left 300$ in my safe in my room. We left the hotel for the day (left at 8 AM, got back at 5 PM) and when we got back, after dinner, I tried to open my safe to get my money and pack because we were leaving the next day. Well, my code to open the safe wouldn't work!! That seemed really strange -- the front desk sent up a guy who opened my safe. Then I checked my wallet and found out that all my dollars were upside-down so I counted them just to make sure... and found out that 60$ were missing!!! So I got to talk with the owner. She assured me she would check the videos to see if somebody got into my room while I was away -- and bang, the next day she phoned and said that somebody had moved the camera so she couldn't see who that was. But she did admit that somebody had stolen from my room, so she gave me back my 60 $.

Happy that I got my money back, but I have to say that there's no point in putting your money in a safe if there's somebody who knows a 'magic code' to open it right away!!! This should not happen, especially if you pay 150 $ a night. Don't stay here. There were little bugs in my bathroom and room -- like little ants. Food is just ok, the water in the swimmingpool is cold. And they'll try to rob you at the hotel bar too: they were trying to tell us that we didn't pay for our drinks while we already did!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Enrica1988
Eidolina, Gerente at Hotel Magic Mountain, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
First of all I would like to apologize for what happened in our hotel, and then I would like to explain that what happened is unfortunately something that happens for the first time in our hotel, we did the necessary investigations but did not find any abnormality on the part of our staff, but still wanted to repay the money as our responsibility to our clients is that when you stay here is to enjoy and have fun, and in no way that something like what happened hinder your trip.
I apologize again, and we regret very much the bad experience happened.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
Atlanta,Ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a beautiful property with a great view of Arenal Volcano. We stayed for 3 days and found the hotel very clean and all the staff helpful and pleasant. I enjoyed the swim up bar and the waitress referred to me as Mr. Fish with a big beautiful smile! Get the breakfast buffet - the super fresh eggs are cooked to order and the fruit is to die for! We loved every minute! Thank you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JWvictor
Karina F, Director de Recepción at Hotel Magic Mountain, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Victor, we really appreciate your comments;
Is good to know that you had a good time with us.

Our customer are the most important for us, if you feel pleasent, we are too.
We hope see you again!
Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We spent 3 nights at Magic Mountain January 26 - 29. The hotel is clean and the staff are very helpful. The property is beautifully landscaped with lovely flowers and plants. We enjoyed some time at the pool and hot tubs. There is a bar by the pool where you can order drinks and food. The waitress was so attentive that we never had to leave our lounge chairs. The breakfast buffet was wonderful--the freshest papaya, mango and pineapple I've ever had.

We did some tours through Aventuras Arenal -- rainforest hike and Arenal hanging bridges, La Fortuna waterfall, volcano lava flow hike, Tabacon Hot Springs, Cano Negro river boat safari. These tours were the highlight of our time in Costa Rica. The tour guides were great and well worth the money. This is truly the most beautiful part of the country, so be sure you don't miss it.

1 Thank CaribbeanCruiser27
Karina F, Director de Recepción at Hotel Magic Mountain, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear guest; kindest regards from Magic Mountain Hotel!!

You are our priority, so really appreciate your comments, It is an honor for us to hear you had an excellent stay.

If you get a great time it means we are doing a good job to give you the best vacations you ever had.

Best regards...
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We just spent two nights in Magic Mountain Hotel in La Fortuna. We liked the location - between the town and the Arenal Volcano. From our balcony we had the greatest view of the Volcan, the garden and the pool. Yesterday we were able to even see the top of the Volcano. The hotel is clean and the staff helpful. We had a very good buffet breakfast at the restaurant adjacent to the hotel. At night my husband took the dinner buffet - at a very reasonable price. We appreciate the Wifi even though the signal was not very strong. Two little things that could be improved: the key to our door was not always functioning. We had to get a new key and play with it each time we entered the room. Also the paint was peeling on our door on the outside. Therefore our first impression was not the best even though we really enjoyed our stay there after.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DidiD26
Karina F, Director de Recepción at Hotel Magic Mountain, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear customer, thanks for your beautiful comments...

It's nice to know you spent an excellent stay at Magic Mountain Hotel.

We are working with the paint in the doors, It is almost ready, thanks for your suggestions about the keys problems also.

Magic Mountain Staff, hopes see you again.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

wonderful hotel, fantastic view of the volcano.
Room was great, but, we spent the extra for the in-room hot-tub. On arrival the water was cold, called front desk, a person was quickly there, told us to turn on the jets, and it would be fine. Went for dinner, returned to a "hot" hot-tub - too hot to enjoy. Turned off jets, and water gets cold. Tried several times to adjust the temperature on the two controls, but no instructions - so water was either cold or too hot.

Room was very nice, clean, but pillows are hard. Pool and grounds are very good, and kept clean.

Restaurant food was ok, not a highlight of our trip. Hotel seems to have a tour bus each day, so they put on a buffet dinner & breakfast. You can order dinner off the menu, but food was not better than the buffet.

there are several hotels and restaurants close by, so do not pass on this hotel just because of the food.

3 Thank bill l
Karina F, Director de Recepción at Hotel Magic Mountain, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Greetings from Magic Mountain Hotel, we really appreciate your comments, our customers are the most important for us.

We are working hard to improve the restaurant, we are training our staff to give you a unmatched service the next time....

Thanks for choose Magic Mountain, we hope see you soon again!!
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed three nights at this hotel. The rooms are fairly spacious, and I believe all of them have a balcony facing Arenal volcano. The only two downsides of this hotel are the remote location (from the center of La Fortuna) and that the WiFi signal is very weak in certain rooms.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Karina F, Director de Recepción at Hotel Magic Mountain, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Greetings from Magic Mountain Hotel...

We are really proud of you have had a wonderful stay here. We are working on the wifi signal to give you a better service the next time and about our localization we are just 3 kilometres from La Fortuna town on the main street.

We hope see you again soon!!
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Magic Mountain in January, 2013. It is conveniently located just out of La Fortuna. The staff are very helpful, the price reasonable, and the rooms bright and spacious.
We stayed in room 506, a lovely junior suite with a great view of the volcano. The suite has a sitting area, nice-sized balcony and large bathroom with a large shower, as well as a jacuzzi.
The room included a breakfast buffet, which was quite decent.
The only small negatives were that the plants in the planters on the balcony were quite dry and wilting and needed attention right away. We told this to the receptionist, who told the grounds people, but when we checked out two day later they still not been watered. The other thing was that there was no bulb in the light above the desk.

The desk clerk helped us book a trip on the sky tram, and the 'sky trek' (zip line).

All in all we had an excellent experience, and recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 506 has a great view of th volcano.