All reviewsarenal volcanola fortunacaravan tourcosta ricaswim up barjunior suitebeautiful viewwet barpool areahot springsnice poolclose to townroom keybreakfast buffethotel restaurantthree nightswelcome drink
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We just came back from Magic Mountain we were there from May 1-7th 2012 and this was our second time there! We went both times in May since that starts off season and we got a lot cheaper of a rate. We went 2 years ago in May which is where my now husband and I got engaged and had the BEST experience that for our 1 year Anniversary we brought another couple back there with us in hopes they would enjoy it as much as us and they did!
We didn’t book any reservations for hotel or excursions or anything through any websites we actually emailed the hotel directly both times and it seemed to work out better for us b/c the hotel can offer package prices for the room, all breakfasts, all excursions & all transportation to/from airport & excursions and save you a ton of money!

Location: the location of the hotel is perfect. Not only do you get to see the Arenal Volcano from your porch but it’s a small place so I felt like we got a better more personable experience. In case you don’t know the Arenal Volcano is non active right now and has been for almost 2 years. The hotel is definitely not the nicest in the area BUT the location is what sold us b/c its within walking distance to the supermarket & all of downtown w/ the shops & restaurants. Most other hotels are a lot more into the rainforest which is beautiful but you pay for it when it comes to cab fares to the city or you just don’t go into town and you eat at your hotel every night which was not an option to us. It’s about a mile or so into the main downtown area but its only a $3 cab ride if you didn’t want to walk.

Rate: You really cant beat the price for all that you get but as I mentioned above we did a package price after researching everything we wanted to do while in town. We also stayed in the suite w./ the other couple we traveled with but ive seen the regular rooms and those are just as great.

Food: Our package included breakfast every morning at the hotel restaurant and I have to say 2 years ago when we went it was better since the hotel wasn’t booked up they let us pick what we wanted for breakfast every morning but this time the hotel was full so they had a buffet breakfast out every morning and I have celiac so I can’t eat gluten so I was unable to eat a lot of the stuff they would put out every morning so it was a little frustrating for me but seemed to be great for everyone else. On the other hand there dinners are AMAZING I’ve both ate at the restaurant at night and also ordered it to our room and they were all amazing from the chicken to the fish. I did have steak one time but in general all steak in Costa is different than the states so I would say stick with the Chicken or Fish you won’t be disappointed.
Cleanliness: no complaints, everything was clean & great! You will see the employees on property all day long cleaning!

Excursions: we like adventure so we did a lot: Canyoning (jumping down waterfalls), cave spelunking, white water rafting(class 4), zip lining, hanging bridges tour, Arenal Volcano hike, waterfall hike, hot springs & I feel like there was more that I’m leaving out.
All day tour: Starts off w/ a hanging bridges tour which was great we had Maria as our all day guide you basically hike & go across the hanging bridges which lasts maybe 3 hours as Maria points out different wild life it was beautiful and we got to see a ton of poisonous snakes & frogs and different kinds of birds and from there we went on a hike to the waterfall base and I must warn you that there is literally and not joking 500 steps each way to get to/from the waterfall base. It was beautiful down there and it has an area where you can swim and relax and some great picture places so we only stayed maybe an hour until we could get enough energy to climb back up the stairs. After that we did lunch and went on another hike around the arenal volcano state park and it was a short hike but we did see monkeys and some other snakes & stuff and it was cool and you get to learn all about the volcanos history throughout the entire day we had Maria is our guide and she made my day she was so outgoing and fun and so…. knowledable! Following that we went to Tabacon hot springs we have already been to to Baldi last trip which was great and less expensive but I much preferred Tabacon it had a more natural landscape and more pools and its just breathtaking we also got the pass that includes dinner at Tabacon which I must say It was great and nice to eat something else besides rice & beans but it definitely was not worth the $40/pp price they charge but sine ours was a package it didn’t bother me as much. Highly recommend Tabacon and what they didn’t tell us was that our pass was a nighttime pass like 5-9 which was cheaper but we get in for 2 night with it so it went back the following night and enjoyed ourselves just as much. Warning there are bars in the pools but drinks are $10 each so we brought water bottles from the supermarket full of liquor and only bought soda at the bar and saved a ton of money!

Cave Spelunking: something new ive never done and I think it was the craziest thing we did there. the holes that you had to wiggle through were so tiny and sometimes you had to climb walls that were impossible so you literally would climb up the guide. some areas were so small we had to army crawl through water but its not a cool story with some awesome pics! they did tell us that our group looked really fit which is why the route we took was intense but there are other routes that are easier for others and less strenuous. if you are claustrophobic do not do this excursion if not and your adventurous definitely do this excursion. You will lots of spiders & bats but not much more or atleast that’s all we saw and im very fearful of that stuff but it didn’t near me or atleast it was dark enough in spots I couldn’t see them

White water rafting: 2 years ago we went and did Toro River (it’s a class 3/4ish ) we loved it which is why were going to go back but this trip the water levels were too long so we had to go on another river a little further called the Sadapiki and it was even better and a true class 4 river. The rafting is intense but so much fun it was such a great rush and our guides name was Jorge I don’t remember what company our hotel put us with but he was awesome. You ride about 1.5 hours than stuff for a break and some fresh fresh fruit than you ride for another hour and than you head back and stop for lunch.

Ziplining: we actually got engaged on the sky tram zip line 2 years ago and so I have to say that was my best experience but this time we tried a different zipline that was much better b/c it had like 11 different lines verse the 7 that sky tram had. They were long but beautiful rides & very safe! You do hike in between each line so please keep that in mind but its not exactly an easy hike.

canyoning: 2 years ago we went and we loved it but this time our hotel messed up the reservation a little and we went with DesFio company and it wasn’t as good as the time before although our friends who have never done something like that and didn’t know better loved it. But the waterfalls we went down were really small and you basically swing freely from most of it rather than actually climb like we did last time so I wouldn’t recommend going with them but I would recommend canyon.
Costa Rica general info: Awesome place! May starts rainy/low season. both times we went to Costa Rica in May and barely had any rain but I would go early May. I recommend researching what you want to do while in town and directly contacting the hotel your interested in as the package rates were so much better. Couple extra things 1 thing you CANT live w/o while in Costa is a waterproof camera. Every excursion we did we brought it and never had the buy the overpriced pictures each place sold. plus we had no worries when it was drizzling and we wanted to get pictures. Side note to that we brought a small waterproof pouch for our money since we got wet on pretty much every excursion and we also always carry a copy of our passport on us and this did come in handy b/c 1 night I ended up in the hospital and they needed this information.

2nd thing you CANT live w/o while in Costa Rica is supportive water schools. again we got wet on every excursion so it was well worth it we all invested in some Keens and I wore those every day except when we went out to eat.

If you have ANY questions feel free to email me jmcalcagni@att.net

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jessica C
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We arrived late at night in this hotel and after a smaal bite to eat we were shown to our lovely rooms. Beautiful rooms with a view of the volcano and spabaths in the room also viewing the volcano. Service is fine and the village is great too. Stores conveniently nearby, hotel has a great pool (also with a view of the volcano). All in all great choice for this area.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed there 2 nights and enjoyed every bit of it. Awesome view of the Volcano and conveniently located to a few stores. Most hotels there are hidden away in the forest so it makes it hard to escape the hotel food. Everyone was super nice and the 2 for 1 happy hour was a great way to unwind at the end of the day. Only complaint was the Jacuzzi never got hot. Breakfast was so so but we weren't there for breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Magic Mountain with my husband and two teenage daughters in a Execu. Jr. Suite. Very nice rooms with a beautiful view of the Volcano. We arrived after midnight (thank god for GPS) and there was a guard/bellhop right there to help us. Rooms included breakfast as well. Cute little town with lots of fun options for adventure. Wish we would of stayed a few more nights. Great find!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Our room was very nice with a great view of the volcano. The breakfast buffet was very good, with lots of tropical fruit. The pool was beautiful, the pool bartender was friendly and patient even with a large group of customers, the spa was very relaxing. We walked a short distance down the road to a soda (like a cafe) for lunch, enjoyed a stop at an artist's woodworking shop, and generally had a great time here. I would definitely go back. I was on a tour with my adult daughter, and the room was included, so I can't comment on the rate.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family