“Great Place to Stay”

Hotel Magic Mountain
Reviewed May 11, 2011

The staff was friendly and very helpful with planning tours for us (Leonardo) I would definately reccomend to friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2011

Reviewed April 27, 2011

Magic Mountain hotel was clean and comfortable. The view of the volcano was great and the landscaping was very pretty. There were good photo opps at this location. The kids loved the pool and the bird watching was nice as several birds were nesting in the palms around the pool.

Breakfast included with our room price was good but the dinner was not edible. Way too much salt was added and the kids burgers had onions in the meat which they do not like.

The desk was very helpful with booking excusions. They are able to get discounted tickets to Baldi Hot Springs and always promptly called taxis when asked. Hot springs are a novelty but are really hot! We spent most of our time in the cool springs. The lunch they provided was great at Baldi.

We really enjoyed the Arenal lava hike which I had pre-booked through our travel agent at Latin Destinations.

Room Tip: Second floor provides a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I had all my cash stolen by a maid named Shirley. During the trip I kept my cash and passport in a case around my neck. This unfortunate day I left the case in my room. Shirley was still on duty when I got my passport back at the front desk and I wanted to confromt her. The hotel "owner" said "This could never happen here." yeah. right. desk clerk was her friend and obviously didn't want me to find her. The story kept changing about just when and where my passport was found. A total cover-up. The tour guide was just as blase and unapologetic. When I left, Shirley's friend the clerk said, "Well, she is a single mother." Sorry but I'm not a rich American. I wouldn't have taken a Caravan tour if I were.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
7  Thank Gail94103
Reviewed March 23, 2011

This hotel was part of my Caravan tour. I was quite pleased with the hotel.

Rooms - very clearn with balcony's all facing the volcano for a lovely view. Room had a fridge and safe which you enter your own digital password.

Free internet (1 computer in the lobby.) Laundry service is reasonable.

About a 10 minute walk to the town. There is a supermarket a couple of mintues away.

Servive was good and food (we had buffet) was adequate.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 15, 2011

The rooms are beautifully appointed, and the view of the volcano from your balcony will blow you away. The hotel has a lovely pool and landscaped grounds. The only down side is that is a small property located just off the main road. This means that you cannot go out for a walk at night because the property is very small, and there are no sidewalks on the main road.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Loved everything about Magic Mountain Hotel. We looked at other places to stay and accidently noticed the Magic Mountain sign. The manager showed us a couple of rooms and 'walla' we were impressed. Our 4 days stay was perfect. The staff was not only friendly but helpful in giving us ideas on what to do. The room was extra clean and
the food was excellent at breakfast and dinner. We made friends with the different travel groups who stayed there. Great place!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Located within long walking/short driving (maybe 2 miles) distance from a charming downtown. The area is very safe and quiet at night. Fantastic view of the Arenal volcano from breakfast and every single room. Great little pool with the freshest juices delivered to you. Great swim up bar. Order the pina colada for $4 and you will not be disappointed. We literally watched the bar tended crack open a fresh coconut for us then and there. A cute little garden and campus is very clean and quiet. We did not take advantage of the spa, but the continental breakfast was good. Typical fresh fruit salad, coffee, scrambled eggs. The service in the restaurant was the best we had during our entire Costa Rican adventure. Prices are ok - not great, which is the case for much of the LaFortuna area. The front desk recpetionists were all over the top friendly and helpful, fluent in English and committed to you enjoying your stay. Personally, my favorite part of this hotel was the vast array of excursions they offered with transportation (horseback riding, hot springs, hanging bridges, caves, rafting, kayaking, hiking, shopping, waterfall hike, biking, ATVs, zip lines). They were very accomodating and flexible with times. They arranged all of the details and charged it to the room - couldn't have been any simpler for us! You should spend at least 3 days in the area - it is gorgeous and there is so much to do here! I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple