“Mostly good”
Review of Arenal Manoa Hotel

Arenal Manoa Hotel
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

The property is beautiful and has a nice view of the volcano. It is extremely well maintained & manicured, quiet, and classy. The rooms/villas are spacious and decorated brightly & tastefully. The hot springs on site are a nice touch. Breakfast was pretty nice, but what's most impressive about the restaurant is it's layout and view.
Staff is friendly.
I would rate it as a 5, if the beds were more comfortable and grounds were better lit at night (you can barely see the walkway in front of you, so it is easier to walk up on a poisonous snake if not careful). We were told that it was a conscious decision to not light the property brightly do it would be easier to see nightly volcanic activity back when it spewed lava frequently.
At any rate, we enjoyed our stay and would repeat for sure.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,878)

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have never been treated as well by any resort as I did at my recent stay at the Hotel Manoa. From the moment we arrived we were treated as royalty. We went in May so the crowds were gone. Our view of the volcano from our room was amazing. We were 4 ladies traveling to Costa Rica for the first time and they put us in rooms side by side. I asked for room 207 after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and I would highly recommend this room as well as 208. The staff could not have been nicer, they were so helpful with information and local tips. We never had to walk as they are always offering rides in the golf carts or the hotel vans, they even went and got ice for us without us asking. The breakfast buffet was good and again the breakfast staff was just very helpful. The grounds were kept very clean as well as the pool areas. I would say the only problem with this place was that the road leading in was gravel but even that was not enough to complain about.

Room Tip: As mentioned above ask for rooms 207 or 208 for the best volcano view. They are also a short walk to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Came here with kids (8 and 11), grandma and aunt and uncle. The grounds are really well manicured and the pools are just what you need after a day of touring. Swim up bars at both locations were a lot of fun for the adults (kids loved the smoothies too!) The rooms are nice, large, AC is bomber, bathrooms are super cool with skylight and plants inside. It feels like you're out int he middle of no where but town is a 5 min cab ride away. Staff was great and the kids loved the towel animals left for them each day! I'd go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: We had three rooms that backed up to the "lake" which was cool as there's a flock of w...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed for our honeymoon in a junior suite. It had a gorgeous view of Arenal Volcano. Not sure what the other rooms looked like, but ours was wheelchair accessible so no tub. But our walk in shower was beautiful and huge. The staff were so nice, even the girl who cleaned our room everyday left us little surprises everyday, flowers and a cutely folded blanket into different animal shapes. We ate the first night at the restaurant on-site and while the food was very good, it was a hefty bill. But definitely worth trying at least one night. For a still extremely tasty and much cheaper meal, try the different Sodas in town. Especially Soda Vasquez. Muy sabroso!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a volcano view, not all have one.
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed here for 2 days with a Caravan tour. I loved these accommodations and the grounds.
All of the rooms face the Arenal Volcano. The complex is like a little village of small houses with pool and spa areas. We enjoyed sitting on our patio and watching the many birds. The rooms were nice with large windows and sliding glass doors. The garden bathroom was gorgeous. Everything seemed clean but I was unhappy with a musty smell in the bedding. We had 2 queen beds with countless pillows on them. I had to sniff thru all of them to find one acceptable. Spouse did not notice any odors. Despite that, it was one of my favorite accommodations in Costa Rica.
There is a restaurant in the complex. As part of our Caravan tour, all meals were included. The food for us was served buffet style and was good and plentiful. My favorite CR beer was the Bavaria Dark - just an extra tip!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

I just returned from our honeymoon in CR. We absolutely loved our stay at the Arenal Manoa.

The drive from San Jose ended up being only about 2.5 hours. We had a private transfer with a friendly driver who was able to fill us in on local culture while we rode, and it was actually pretty enjoyable.

The rooms are absolutely beautiful. Spacious,great view, very clean, and super comfortable. Honestly, my only negative on the rooms would be that there is no bathroom fan (which apparently, is a CR thing). Other than that, it was truly wonderful.

The staff was friendly. Mostly the stayed out of your way until you needed something, and being on a honeymoon- I appreciated that.

The food and drinks were wonderful. We really enjoyed all the meals, especially the free breakfast. Mostly, we enjoyed being able to eat authentic tico food.

The atmosphere was very relaxed and all of the guests were friendly. We loved hanging out by the pool in between our excursions. The drive to town is not bad at all, and I definitely recommend getting out in La Fortuna.

My only complaint was that it is not all inclusive. Prices for food and drinks were pretty steep. Honestly, we knew it was great, but we didn't know how much we truly loved the Manoa until we went to a resort in Guanacaste... I definitely recommend the Arenal for honeymooners and couples who are looking to get away from home and enjoy a new culture.

Room Tip: Definitely make sure you have a view of the volcano. It is mind blowing waking up to that view in th...
1  Thank Morgan B
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I went with some friends during a eco-friendly trip! I enjoyed staying at Arenal Manoa, the price was ok, We got free breakfast and because there wasn´t much signal they offer their phone so we could contact our next destination.
hotel staff were really nice
the room was really clean and the best of all was that the 4 of us fit in one room

Room Tip: there are plenty of bungalows so choose any :)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jimena R
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
Volcano Lodge & Springs
Volcano Lodge & Springs
#15 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#4 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 64 in Arenal Volcano National Park

Been to Arenal Manoa Hotel? Share your experiences!