Arenal Oasis Eco Lodge & Wildlife Refuge
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$256
$137
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$224
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$450
$213
$201
Hotel Mountain Paradise(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$100
$78
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Manoa Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$297
$129
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$230
$138
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Lodge(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$113
$96
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Rancho Cerro Azul(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$72
$66
Hotels.com
Hotel Lomas del Volcan(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$144
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnight walknight tourfrog tourfrog walknature trailearly morning bird walkbedroom cabinfruit feedersfer de lancebirding tourbird feedersbring your cameraanimal noisesdifferent speciestree frogsprivate parkinggreat bird watching
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My granddaughter and I stayed here for a couple of days while visiting the Arenal area. It was really perfect.

It's secluded (about 800 meters off the "main" highway between La Fortuna and the Lake) but still very convenient to La Fortuna. There's no volcano view - but you can get a volcano view from many many locations around the Arenal area. And with no lava flow, it's not as important, really.

The cottages are set in a rainforest with trails in back of the property. There is a display of snakes and tarantulas as well as a nicely-done butterfly enclosure.

The breakfast area is surrounded by rainforest and they have put out feeders with fruits for the birds. During breakfast, we saw something like 10 species of birds, including the beautiful Scarlet-thighed Dacnis, Scarlet-rumped Tanager, Blue-gray Tanager among others. Breakfast was excellent also, with the typical fruit and fresh fruit juice (not fruit "drink") and a couple of options.

We stayed in cottage #7 which is beautiful inside and very comfortable. Ceiling fan (and lamp) and individual lamps near the beds as well as an outside lamp on the little front porch which has a nice bench. We were able to park right in front of the cottage.

It's all natural wood inside and the upper part of the walls are lattice covered with screen. Across one whole wall is large windows so you feel like you are living in the rainforest!

Comfortable bed and quality bedding as well.

I can't say enough good things about the helpful and smiling and knowledgeable staff!

Arenal Oasis is definitely my "go to" for any future trips to the Arenal area (which I do a few times a year.)

By the way - the photo doesn't do it justice at all. They need to upgrade that photo!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 9-04-2015kp
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I spent two wonderful nights at Arenal Oasis Eco Lodge, and my visit was everything I hoped it would be. I stayed in a beautiful wooden casita that includes a large window that looks out into the forest, and I thoroughly enjoyed my delicious breakfasts at the Eco Lodge's outdoor, covered dining area. When I first arrived, I was welcomed by Beka and her adorable puppy, Boo, and over the course of the weekend, I met Beka's husband, Jose Andreas, and his brother, Jose Pablo. Beka and her family members couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful. With their assistance, I was able to arrange for a 3-hour trip to the La Fortuna Waterfall by horseback with "Don Luis" on Saturday morning as well as a 6-hour hike of Cerro Chato with him and 7 of my fellow travelers on Sunday morning. With the help of Beka and her family members, my companions and I were able to store our belongings in an unoccupied casita while we hiked and then use that same space to change into clean clothes before heading back to Atenas by mini-bus later that afternoon. In sum, the Arenal Oasis Eco Lodge is a beautifully-maintained and landscaped property that is located in a very peaceful, rural setting and managed by very welcoming and helpful family members. I look forward to returning to this fabulous lodge with my husband in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank vacayplanner3
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We have lived in Costa Rica for a few months now but haven't had the time to do much exploring. When we found out last minute we would have time to travel for a few days to celebrate my birthday, we started searching for places to stay in La Fortuna. There are some spectacular resorts but they were well beyond our budget. I began to have doubts that we would find anything affordable. Then we stumbled upon Arenal Oasis. I gave the property a call to see if they had any last minute availability or specials. Andres and I talked and he was extremely helpful and accommodating. We were excited to begin our stay at the eco-lodge.

When we arrived, Pablo greeted us with a smile from ear-to-ear. He gave us information about what there was to do around the property and told us of the night walk frog tour that was to begin 15 minutes after we arrived. We hesitated at the idea of rushing to get ready for the tour but ultimately had enough time to grab our cameras and rain coats. We were greater by Gerald who was our guide for the evening. He pointed out the sounds we were hearing around us and noted that it was a "high activity" night thanks to the sun earlier in the day and the current rain.

The tour was about 2 hours of complete amazement. Gerald not only found frogs to show us but he was incredibly intelligent about a variety of species. We greatly appreciated his intelligence and sense of humor. So much so, that we went on the frog tour again the second night we were there. You just can't miss it. It is an amazing tour. We saw frogs mating and freshly laid frog eggs. Who can say that?!

The next day we met Andres in person and he was just as kind as we had imagined. We were on our trip to celebrate my birthday and the entire staff at Arenal Oasis truly made our experience memorable. The adorable and romantic cabinas, the incredibly flavorful and fresh food, and the compassionate, funny, and helpful staff at Arenal Oasis made my birthday weekend incredible. We are eager to go back and stay at the oasis again. I recommend this place 110%. You're bound to love it!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leeah K
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We spent two nights here. My mom had a cabin to herself and the other four of us stayed in a bigger cabin (bungalo) with a kitchenette. This place is far enough off the beaten path that you don't hear any noise at night except the frogs.

There is a little restaurant on the grounds. You can watch the birds and chickens wander around. There are wonderful little hiking trails.

We did the frog watching tour! Highly recommend that. We saw frogs and fresh water crabs and pistol ants (or something like that). It was a fun fun tour. We also got rained on during the tour, but in the morning, I dropped off all our wet clothes and the staff it in a dryer for me at no charge.

All our rooms had fans in them.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WayTooBusyMom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The best place visited on our whole trip to Costa Rica. This is a family run place and it is clear that they care so much about their environment. 30 years ago this was a cattle farm, but the height of some of the trees makes that hard to believe. The place is so peaceful, with just six chalets, plus staff accommodation, all set in the forest.

The chalets smelt a little musty on first entering them, but that is to be expected as this is the RAIN FOREST, and that was quickly forgiven when we realised how beautiful the whole pace was.

Our chalet had one double and one single bed in a large room, with bathroom facilities including shower just along a short hallway, but the accommodation is frankly irrelevant when considering this place.

We stayed two nights B&B, and although breakfast was simple (two options - we chose fruit followed by scrambled eggs), it was set in a tiny area surrounded by feeders for the local birds that feasted on the fruit left out for them. One of the brothers who run the place lent us a Costa Rican bird guide to help us identify each one, and he helpfully pointed out where to find them in the book. Tanagers of all colours, including a blue-grey pair nesting in the restaurant roof, humming birds, and so many others that I need to learn the names for.

We booked in for the forest night walk, which was scheduled for two hours but lasted almost three, and this was the highlight of our 11 days stay in the country. Andreas, one of the family, was our guide, and he found so much wildlife: frogs, toads, insects, snakes, including the “poster boy”, the red eyed (green) tree frog. The tour is open to non-guests, and should be on everyone’s itinerary.

We stayed B&B, and although breakfast was simple (two options - we chose fruit followed by scrambled eggs), it was set in a tiny area surrounded by feeders for the local birds that feasted on the fruit left out for them. One of the brothers who run the place lent us a Costa Rican bird guide to help us identify each one, and he helpfully pointed out where to find them in the book. Tanagers of all colours, including a blue-grey pair nesting in the restaurant roof, humming birds, and so many others that I need to learn the names for.

We booked in for the forest night walk

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple