“What service and relaxation!”

Hotel Kokoro Arenal
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I've stayed at both El Silencio del Campo and now, Kokoro. I would stay at Kokoro again hands down. Felico and his mom Anna took care of us as if we were family. We had villa #7 that had windows on all sides, and the view from lying in bed was great. I also liked that this hotel was away from the road. Silencio del Campo is right next to it with a huge hotel overlooking the grounds.

What made our visit stand out was that we truly felt like family members of the Li family. One night, we were on our way to dinner, and they instead invited us to dinner with them. Anna made 4 or 5 huge dishes that we ate family style. It just doesn't get any better than eating with the owners of the place you are staying.

Kokoro is updating and adding new things. We look forward to coming back when their new restaurant is open, and the authentic hot springs are open (I think they were shooting for sometime very soon.)

On a side note, we did a white water rafting tour with Wave Expeditions located in Fortuna. Highly recommend them as well.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Todd T
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kokoro Arenal

Reviewed June 2, 2010

The Li Family were simply wonderful, they couldn't have done more to help us enjoy our stay. The hotel was the best place that we stayed in during our trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stayed at Kokoro for 3 nights. King size bed, room number 8. It really is a lovely place. The cabins are huge! More than enough room for the two of us. Simple decor, with rustic wood walls and ceilings. The bed was very comfortable.

Great views of the volcano from the grounds. Lucky for us that the sun came out on our last day since seeing the volcano this close is awesome! We even saw some lava activity, which was really, really cool!

The people that work here are very helpful and friendly, from emailing back and forth with our inquiry to check-in, breakfast, arranging for massages, etc...everything was done professionally and curteously.

Cabin 8 is the only one that has a sliding glass door. It looks like all the others have been converted to the regular type door. It affords a great view! My only small complaint would be the see-through curtains that are on the slider and one of the windows. At night, you could see right into the room even when they are closed. This bothers me, so I asked for extra blankets and hung them up each night. I think new curtains are in order. JMO

The family that runs Kokoro is doing a good job and have a first rate property that we thoroughly enjoyed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wxnet
Reviewed May 18, 2010

This stay was one of the highlights of our Costa Rican trip that set the bar very high for all small hotels in the world. The place is simply gorgeous, with amazing location, fantastic owners, and a great attention to detail! Highly recommend to everyone. Also recommend a horseback riding trip.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2010

There is so much to say about Kokoro, I don't know where to start.
First of all the entire staff is wonderful, they make you feel so welcome and at home.
When I arrived I was getting over the stomach flu and the owner Anita made some of the BEST SOUP of my life! I swear she helped to cure me. Everymorning you awaken to pure beauty inside of your log cabin room with a shower as big as most of our bathrooms, outside on the lush grounds and viewing the day with the volcano:)
The breakfast was superb, so fresh and some fruit from the grounds! I will not stay anywhere else and if I do, I will make sure Kokoro is on my trip. This place was so Zen we were never able to keep up with time the time because, it moved do slowly!

The staff can help you with local eats, transportation, tour set ups and everything.
We had the best time of our lives and would recommend you make Kokoro a part of your visit.
P.S. They are building a hot spring!!! This is not to be missed:)
Thanks Guys,
Nichelle and Zalika

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank nchelleb7
Reviewed May 12, 2010

What an amazing place. The first thing you notice is the beautiful view and wonderful surroundings of the hotel. Flowers, birds, and peaceful...and what a view of the volcano. My room was spotless and perfect for my entire stay. Finally, the staff at the hotel was incredible. They could not have been more helpful and pleasant. I will be coming back and I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2010

From the moment we contacted the hotel to inquire about reservations to the time we checked out, we were treated with unparalleled warmth and hospitality. The grounds are meticulously and beautifully landscaped. With prime view of the famed volcano, we were lucky enough to see a little lava display from Arenal----right outside our bedroom window!!!
Breakfast rivaled that of a 5-star restaurant, again with a clear view of Arenal. Anita (wife and co-owner of this lovely resort) generously prepared a traditional Costa Rican breakfast of eggs, caramelized plantains, beans and rice. As we were still hungry, Anita graciously offered us more from her kitchen: fresh, local fruit, yogurt, cereal, saving the best for last---homemade strawberry pancakes, complete with organic maple syrup.
All in all, Kokoro Arenal is a gem of a place. The only regret that I have is that we only had time to stay for 1 night. Forget about the larger, overcrowded hotels where you are made to feel like an unwelcome visiting tourist and stay at Kokoro instead - a family run hotel where you are made to feel as if you are part of the family.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple