Hotel Kokoro Arenal
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Nayara Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Mountain Paradise(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Volcano Inn(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Manoa Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Lavas Tacotal(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshot springscosta ricareception areagrounds are beautifulbreakfast was deliciousfried plantainsopen airevery morninggreat view of the volcanoreception desknice poolpura vidarooms are largetown of la fortunarainy seasonthermal poolspollo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 21, 2012

The Kokoro Arenal hotel was a great start to our holiday in Costa Rica. The staff and owners were all very friendly and helpful in arranging transportation and tours. The food in the hotel was very good and a great start to start the day. The rooms were very large and comfortable. We had a wonderful time and recommend staying here to anyone. They also have a new hot springs that is less crowded than the famous Tabacon resort. The town is not close enough to walk but a short drive away with the hotel driver. They charge a small fare but it's worth to see and explore the area this way.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed there for one night. The overall area of the resort is huge and you actually see lots of animals there already. The reception area is very nice overlooking the volcano. And the breakfast is very good too with lots of choices.

The room itself is ok. It doesn't really include everything that an usual hotel room has. Almost feel like they are still working in progress.

Overall it's still a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank ayu312
Reviewed January 8, 2012

If you want to be one with nature and really immerse yourself in the costa rican greenery, stay here!

PROS:
- very cool setting, lush green, views of the volcano on a clear day
- cabin-style rooms, with a little bench outside
- very spacious inside
- flat screen tv
- breakfast was yummy: the fruit is the best, you sit in an open area with views of costa rican greenery, very cool
- there is a small pool but we never used it
- the service is awesome - the ppl really take good care of you

CONS: (disclaimer: these are not necessarily cons if you're looking for a real natural environment)
- sparse rooms - just what u need, a bed, couple chairs, closet, & bathroom
- not exactly cozy
- no real shower items so bring your own
- you will probably see baby lizards but you're in costa rica, so it's to be expected
- no restaurant on site (but u can easily cab it to a restaurant and it's not too pricey)
- need to cab it to get around - not walking distance to anything but u don't really want to stay in downtown la fortuna

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sabreena K
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Kokoro is a wonderfully intimate and peaceful place. It consists if a number of cabins along a hillside just on the edge of a tropical rain forest. There is an outside lobby on the same level as the upper cabins and a bit higher up are the swimming pool and further up, the restaurant. Breakfast was included in the price but you are charged for dinner if you have it there. We had dinner there one night - on New Years Eve - which was a nice celebration with the owner cooking the meal and then setting off fireworks around the pool. It was the best New Year's Eve I can recall. There is a really nice hot springs which is filled up fresh daily. The water is hot! - but you can go in after it cools down a little in early evening. There is also a place near the hot springs where you can get a massage - which is an excellent deal.

The owner and staff were very accommodating and helpful. Service is excellent. While the resort overlooks the volcano, we actually didn't see the whole volcano during our entire stay because it was partially or entirely covered in clouds. The views are better from the upper cabins than the lower cabins. The volcano hasn't been going off for about a year, so don't expect to see any lava. The units have air conditioning which works really well though it was not too warm during most of our stay. The cabins are pretty nice - as far as cabins go.

We stayed there for six days, relaxing with several side trips such as the Hanging Bridges, Zip Lining over the rain forest, Tabacon, etc. We had two cabins - one on the upper level and one on the lower level. You might get the occasional critter in the cabin - we had a frog, a gecko, a grasshopper, and a few earwigs, which was no big deal. These are cabins, on the edge of a tropical rain forest, after all. The gecko did wake us up during the night though for the two nights it was in our cabin. It made a noise that sounded like someone tapping on the door with a key. It was gecko mating season apparently and that's what the male geckos do to attract the females. It did rain frequently - quick sudden downpour and then it would be nice again though one day it rained a lot. It didn't matter though. It was still great.

There are a couple of things that I could see improved. First, some beds are wonderfully comfortable (our kids had very comfortable queen beds on the upper level). Ours, which was a king on the lower level was as hard as a rock. I've always heard that firm beds are good for a bad back but not that firm. The second thing I'd mention is the cabin cleaning service. They sweep the floor, change the glasses, make the bed and do a few things. They replaced our towels on the first day but then didn't after that, so we would need to get new ones from the front desk. It wasn't a big deal but is definitely something that can be improved. They could do a better/more thorough job.

This is not a luxury resort but I give it 5 stars because for what it is and the value for money, I think the place is exceptional. We loved it.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper level if you can
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank John C
Reviewed January 2, 2012

The landscaping is breathtaking, the on-site hot spring is a big plus and the staff is mostly friendly. The main downside is that the room felt very basic. I was disappointed that the room amenities were not as advertised. When I booked the room, the description clearly stated "TV, Ceiling Fan and Refrigerator" among other things but it did not have any of them! A couple of lamps in the room were not plugged in and did not seem to work. Basically, the room was a collection of beds and hardly anything else. The bathroom was much nicer.

Fortunately, none of the missing amenities were important to us but I expect a hotel to do a better job of furnishing the rooms. I had paid a fairly high rate and the room did not feel commensurate with it. I must add though that I did not have any complaints in terms of cleanliness.

I can relate to previous reviewer's (aaron k) experience with respect to the transportation. When we asked the staff to call us a cab in the morning to go to Baldi Hot Springs, they said that one of them is anyway going to town and would drop us at Baldi on the way for $10. We had to wait longer than expected (~15 minutes) and I found out later that the taxi ride is actually less than $5. Of course, this is a small amount but I felt cheated. After all, I had not asked them for the ride. They should have either called the cab for me or charged what is fair and regular taxi fare. In fact, they would have earned my respect (and $10 tip!) a lot more if they had offered the ride without charge. I can still not comprehend why would they want to unfairly charge $5 extra when I was paying them hundreds of dollars for the stay!

The breakfast was basic but mostly adequate. Surprisingly, there was no bread available on either of days that we stayed. When I asked about it, the answer was that they do not provide bread every day. This is perhaps the first time that I have seen a hotel not to have bread/toasts for breakfast!

Overall, outstanding landscaping/views and some nice facilities like hot springs; fairly basic but clean rooms; mostly friendly and helpful staff but some questionable practices!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family