We stayed in the Monkey Cabin for almost five days in February with our children (=ages 6, 8 and 12. It was the perfect "base-camp" for our stay near Arenal. We booked ahead with Oscar (a good idea for horseback riding which seemed to fill up) and decided on horseback riding to the waterfall, ziplining, canyoning and a trip to the hot springs. We also arranged transportation through Leaves and Lizards,. This was definitely the right choice for us as gave us time to enjoy the countryside and views - our drivers (Martin and Jaymar) were terrific.
We loved horseback riding with Chinto and having the waterfall to ourselves for the afternoon. Farm chores were fun and our kids have many stories, including dropping a pair of sunglasses into the pig pen. Ziplining at Mundo Adventura was great fun. Canyoning at La Roca was more adventure than we anticipated, but was a highlight of our trip. Being surrounded by pristine jungle and hearing howler monkeys while rappelling into a slot canyon is not something our family will soon forget. We would not recommend this adventure for young children, but the staff was amazing and ensured that our six year old who was chilled by the river water had a great time. After canyonining we warmed up in the hot springs at Los Lagos, which has waterslides that are perfect for kids.
We loved the staff at Leaves & Lizards. We did not bring any electronics for our children and there was no tv or internet in our cabin, but there was no need. The food was terrific and we enjoyed meeting other families at meals. We especially enjoyed the breakfasts and our server (Dora) made the morning meals particularly fun. We are so glad that we had the opportunity to go on a night hike with Oscar. Overall this was an action-packed, memorable and fun trip and nothing like the experience you would get staying at a hotel. We highly recommend this "retreat"!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This secluded resort is located on 26 acres with spectacular viewing of the Arenal Volcano near La Fortuna. Enjoy the panoramic vista of Arenal and Cerro Chato from a hammock on your porch or from your comfortable, orthopedic, queen sized beds with Egyptian cotton sheets. Meals prepared using locally grown ingredients at the Lava Lizard on-site dining facility. Guests are invited to help with daily 'chores' on this working farm. Milk a cow, collect eggs for breakfast or groom a horse. Enjoy private horseback riding, professional guide service, on site spa and 2 km of on site nature trails. The vision at Leaves and Lizards is to create the perfect blend of adventure, discovery and tranquility for each guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park