Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Springs Resort and Spa(Arenal Volcano National Park)
View Hotel
Arenal Manoa Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Mountain Paradise(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Nayara Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Hotel Kokoro Arenal(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Paraiso Hotel Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Volcano Inn(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
All reviewsprivate waterfallhorseback ride to the waterfallhobbit houselava lizardheliconia housefarm choressteve and debzip liningfresh milkcosta ricacollecting eggsarenal volcanomilking cowsgathering eggsevery morningriding horsesfarm to table
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I agree with the favorable reviews and wanted to chime in specifically about traveling with children. I went with my 9- and 6-year-olds. They had never ridden horses, and they loved the horseback riding lessons and rides. Because of the retreat's approach to riding, it was a very special experience, and the children gained a lot of confidence. If you have young children and no car, I'd recommend staying at Congo, Coco, Hobbit, or Casa Cielo, which are close to the dining area. The staff were wonderful. The weather was not great and we still had a terrific time. The retreat is a special, unusual place.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank FloridaAnon
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

You'll want to come back again and again! Gorgeous views of the volvano from private and very comfortable cabins. Excellent food served by friendly staff. Don't miss the horseback ride to the waterfall, and get the kids up early to help with light farm chores. No other place has such a warm and personable crew, guiding you on tours or helping you with your Spanish. It will be your new favorite place in Costa Rica, and your kids will beg you to take them back!

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Costa Rica has long been on my list of places to explore. I arrived without expectations to Leaves and Lizards, my goal was only to spend time in Costa Rica with my dear friend. I was completely and continually surprised by my experience and lodgings. Throughout my visit I felt like I was an invited guest in Debbie and Steve's extended home. The staff are welcoming yet professional, the food spectacular, the lodgings immaculate yet rustic in an upscale way; all of this at the base of an active volcano. Although I left with reluctance, I know that I will return in a heartbeat to a little piece of Heaven on Earth. Many thanks to Steve and Debbie and their amazing team, including their beautiful horses!

Room Tip: Be specific about your needs and trust their judgement
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Getting there feels like an adventure. Being there feels like home. The accomodations are well-planned, spacious, spotless, and private. The food is superb. The equestrian experience is indescribeable! How could that not be so amidst the natural beauty of the Costa Rica Arenal area combined with the natural grace and warmth of the people; owners, Steve and Debbie, and wonderful staff.

Room Tip: They're all great; however, you might ask for one that is close to the dining center.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have been to Costa Rica 5 times now and to the Lake Arenal area 3 times. My stay at Leaves and Lizards eclipses all others and I cannot wait to go back. Costa Rica is on my top 3 list of places in the world I like to go. And I do get around! Costa Ricans are well know for their hospitality and the Pura Vida. But Steve and Debbie and all the staff members go above and beyond. A truly memorable stay and I will be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends