This was our first visit to Costa Rica. We stayed 3 nights at Leaves and Lizards and 4 nights in Playa Flamingo. In retrospect, we probably would have stayed 4 nights at L&L to fit in all the activities. While there, we did the zipline tour, horseback ride to the waterfall, and night hike on the property. We were very pleased with all of these excursions. We stayed in the Mariposa cabin. All of the cabins have views, but from what I could see, Mariposa and Heliconia house are probably the least desirable locations. Our view of the volcano was off the side of the porch, and we could also see the road and electrical wires. Not a big deal, but just be aware when booking. These are cabins in the jungle, so don't expect 5-star luxury. That's not a complaint, by the way (especially at the price point). We personally wanted an authentic experience. Which is to say, expect some musty smells and bugs. That said, the rooms were very clean and nicely appointed w/ mini fridge, hairdryer, shampoo and soap, etc. (they advertised an iPod docking station, which we didn't get). No TV, which was fine with us. Dinners were pricey and a bit hit or miss, but I don't begrudge them for trying to make a few bucks on food given the room rate. I'm not a big breakfast fan, but I found it to be exceptional (fresh juice, fruit, eggs, etc.) and cheap ($4). They advertise a "happy hour," but we found that just entailed coming early for dinner seating (there's no bar). We took a 10-year-old and the property is great for kids. Ours went to see the animals every morning and milked the cows. The workers in the barn were very friendly. I can't say I had any major complaints (I was mildly annoyed that when we were shown the cabin, the guy didn't offer to help with the bags as I was schlepping them in, but that's probably nitpicking). As a final aside, I find the fuss about driving in Costa Rica a bit overblown. Aside from Ticos tending to walk and bicycle on the roads, it's not much different from driving in rural America. Although you will need a 4x4 for L&L, as the final few kilometers to get there is a real gut buster.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This secluded resort is located on 26 acres with spectacular viewing of the Arenal Volcano near La Fortuna. Enjoy the panoramic vista of Arenal and Cerro Chato from a hammock on your porch or from your comfortable, orthopedic, queen sized beds with Egyptian cotton sheets. Meals prepared using locally grown ingredients at the Lava Lizard on-site dining facility. Guests are invited to help with daily 'chores' on this working farm. Milk a cow, collect eggs for breakfast or groom a horse. Enjoy private horseback riding, professional guide service, on site spa and 2 km of on site nature trails. The vision at Leaves and Lizards is to create the perfect blend of adventure, discovery and tranquility for each guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park