This is the place to stay if you want to have a true Costa Rican experience. From the scenery on the drive from the airport to the bumpy roads in "rural" Costa Rica, this was the best adventure vacation we have ever had as a family. Steve and Debbie are the best hosts ever. They make planning your whole stay so easy. They will arrange every thing for you including a driver and guide if you want them. The minute we stepped into the van with Martin (which Debbie arranged to have pick us up in San Jose) the adventure began. The countryside is beautiful, you get the "flavor" of Costa Rica and Martin pointed things out along the way. We stayed in the Hummingbird Hacienda which has a two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a sleeper sofa in the living room. It has a Washer/Dryer, a fully functional kitchen which is supplied with fresh cream and juice daily, and a great porch with rocking chairs and a hammock, a stunning view of Arenal volcano and hummingbirds galore! All the beds were comfortable and we didn't miss Wifi or TV one bit! We sat on the porch and talked, played board games and just relaxed after days filled with activity. The open air style restaurant where you will eat true Costa Rican meals is an experience in itself. The view here is stunning and the service is great. They have a good kids menu, too. There is WiFi here for those needing it to check emails. This is a great place for families with kids. From the birds and animals of nature (sloth sighting at the Helicona House on property) to the chickens and pigs you can feed in the morning, our grandson loved it. We stayed six nights and could have stayed longer! The horseback trip to the waterfalls was a favorite of all, even for my grandson who had never ridden before. He totally trusted Robert to lead him along safely. Debbie is so good at getting you comfortable with the horses that even after 16 years of not being on a horse I felt comfortable riding. We also did the Arenal Hanging Bridge Tour with Danny (the best guide ever!) where you will see tons of wild life, walked the Arenal Volcano, Experienced the Eco Tamales Hot Springs (wonderful experience in natural setting where we also saw Costa Rican birds of all varieties), Zip Lining with Mundo Adventura was awesome, a boat tour on Cano Negro is a must, The wild life rescue is worth seeing if you have time, and my daughter and I enjoyed an afternoon of an on site massage. This is a special place to stay and you won't regret spending your vacation here! Yes, there are bugs. It is a rain forest atmosphere, but keep your doors closed and no problem! Oh and bring ear plugs for a silent night's sleep because the cicadas and birds don't know you are trying to sleep! One last suggestion. Rent a 4 x 4 so you can experience the less travelled roads, and for your drive up to Hummingbird Hacienda!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This secluded resort is located on 26 acres with spectacular viewing of the Arenal Volcano near La Fortuna. Enjoy the panoramic vista of Arenal and Cerro Chato from a hammock on your porch or from your comfortable, orthopedic, queen sized beds with Egyptian cotton sheets. Meals prepared using locally grown ingredients at the Lava Lizard on-site dining facility. Guests are invited to help with daily 'chores' on this working farm. Milk a cow, collect eggs for breakfast or groom a horse. Enjoy private horseback riding, professional guide service, on site spa and 2 km of on site nature trails. The vision at Leaves and Lizards is to create the perfect blend of adventure, discovery and tranquility for each guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park