Leaves and Lizards is a wonderful place that makes you feel like you are really experiencing Costa Rica. The volcano views from nearly every spot of this property are stunning (even if we didn't see the whole thing but for our last day . . . ha . . . worth the wait! and the steam shooting out of the top was awesome!)
We took our two boys, 9 and 7, and would recommend this place highly to families.
We took Debbie's advice and had a private transfer from San Jose and were glad. We got to sit back and enjoy all the scenes of Costa Rica on our first afternoon and avoid a strenuous drive.
The cabins are great, simple, but with every need met. The porches are dreamy. The Toucan cabin has an outdoor shower which was great.
My favorite memories:
The horseback trip was a tremendous highlight . . . Do not miss this . . . We still talk about Debbie's horse lesson . . . she is the horse whisperer for sure which means you can trust that your children will be safe on this most incredible trek
The wonderful people working at Leaves and Lizards . . . they were warm and fun and especially fantastic with our children . . . I credit Debbie and Steve with creating a place where everyone working there seems happy and fulfilled. We were especially charmed by Dora and Cheeto and Robert . . . .and was Carlos the man in charge of the farm? great memories of their smiling faces!
A surprise highlight was how much fun it was getting to know the other guests in the restaurant every night. It was fun to share experiences and get tips. Debbie and Steve assign cabins to sit together and it made for a very welcome and fun environment wherever you went on the property. . . The restaurant is a pavilion so all meals are in the open air and they were wonderful. The breakfasts are outstanding, the best of our whole trip: wonderful coffee, fresh fruit, juices, bacon, cow shaped pancakes, volcano shaped rice and beans . . . perfecto!! Dinners were good, especially the kiddie food options if you have any picky eaters.
Walking to and from breakfast and dinner, at night we wore our head lamps which of course the boys loved . . . gorgeous walk . . .
The farm chores were a very neat way to start the days . . . a little foal was born the day we arrived . . .
We took a nature tour with Donald at the El Silencio reserve . . . He is first class, best of this type of tour we took the whole time
On our way out of town we hiked the 1968 Lava Fields on a gorgeous clear day . . . loved it!
Thank you Debbie and Steve for sharing your part of the world with us! We dug it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This secluded resort is located on 26 acres with spectacular viewing of the Arenal Volcano near La Fortuna. Enjoy the panoramic vista of Arenal and Cerro Chato from a hammock on your porch or from your comfortable, orthopedic, queen sized beds with Egyptian cotton sheets. Meals prepared using locally grown ingredients at the Lava Lizard on-site dining facility. Guests are invited to help with daily 'chores' on this working farm. Milk a cow, collect eggs for breakfast or groom a horse. Enjoy private horseback riding, professional guide service, on site spa and 2 km of on site nature trails. The vision at Leaves and Lizards is to create the perfect blend of adventure, discovery and tranquility for each guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park