We arrived in Liberia before noon and Debbie sent Lilly to pick us up, so no negotiating with all the drivers. The Heliconia House was perfect for the 5 of us (2 parents, 3 kids age 14, 12 &11 - one boy / 2 girls). Waiting in the fridge was fresh milk from the cows, fresh fruit juice and a few beers. The back door opens right up into the forest, you can literally touch it! We loved reading in the hammocks and hiking the trails. My city kids (Northern Virginia) loved collecting the eggs and milking the cows. I can not describe how amazing the view is from the dining area and the food, is fantastic. Be sure to take a picture! Debbie set up a private driver for our Cultour in Fortuna/EcoTermales. We used the zip line company Debbie recommended (fantastic!). We also had a driver for Baldi springs after the zip line. Debbie also arranged our transfer to Tamarindo. We loved our drivers Lilly and Martin. Debbie also arranged a private guide for Hanging Bridge Tour (we saw spider monkey's, two different eyelash vipers, my kids ate termites- voluntarily I assure you). I am not a horse person, but Debbie suggested we try a horse trip to the private waterfall, and it was definitely a highlight of our trip. My 11 year old was almost thrown off last summer, and Debbie spent an hour getting her used to the horse. We all loved it, the swim in the waterfall, and we saw a sloth climbing back up a large vine on our way back. We went on to 4 nights in Tamarindo which were great, but our only regret in Costa Rica, not staying one more night at Leaves and Lizards.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This secluded resort is located on 26 acres with spectacular viewing of the Arenal Volcano near La Fortuna. Enjoy the panoramic vista of Arenal and Cerro Chato from a hammock on your porch or from your comfortable, orthopedic, queen sized beds with Egyptian cotton sheets. Meals prepared using locally grown ingredients at the Lava Lizard on-site dining facility. Guests are invited to help with daily 'chores' on this working farm. Milk a cow, collect eggs for breakfast or groom a horse. Enjoy private horseback riding, professional guide service, on site spa and 2 km of on site nature trails. The vision at Leaves and Lizards is to create the perfect blend of adventure, discovery and tranquility for each guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park