We are a family of 5 (2 adults and three kids - two 17-year old and an 18-year old). We travelled to Costa Rica from Dec 21-31, 2012. During this time, we stayed at Leaves and Lizards for 3 nights. We really enjoyed our stay at Leaves and Lizards. The owners are Debbie and Steve and they are wonderful hosts. Here is our review:
Room: we stayed at the Congo room; the room was very clean and spacious. We had two Queen size beds and a single. The room is very clean, we had everything we needed: towels, shampoo, conditioner, hair conditioner, a safe, flash flight, 2 ceiling fans, coffee maker, microwave, a few utensils/plates/mugs, even ear plugs were available for those who might need them, games, books and they have thought of everything. The room had huge windows, we have a great view of the rainforest and we can see the volcano if it was not so cloudy. There was a lot of privacy; we are surrounded by beautiful trees and plants. Also a beautiful balcony with chairs and hammocks for relaxation.
Breakfast was the best meal of the day for $4 pp, there is a different menu each day from delicious blueberry pancakes to omelets to your liking, you had so much food and so delicious with fresh fruits and everything you ever want, I recommend that everyone needs to take advantage of this opportunity.
Dinner: Was also so delicious. We took advantage of the happy hour for discounted drinks. Debbie switched the table around so you will sit with new people and it’s a great way to meet other guests at the lodge.
Activities on site:
Farm visit: We enjoyed the 7AM visit at the farm where our kids get to milk a cow, hold baby pigs and pet horses. What a wonderful experience!
Horse riding adventure:
The hosts: Debbie & Steve: The best thing about Leaves and Lizards is the hospitality of the hosts. Debbie and Steve are wonderful people. They made us feel welcome even before we arrived. As soon as we arrived, they made us feel at home. They gave us advice on what to do and how to do it. They came to dinner each night to make sure all the guests have access to them in case they have questions or concerns. During our stay our two girls got a stomach flu, Debbie was so great; she gave us soup, 7-Up and crackers for the girls. She got her staff (Florie and Maria) to give them therapeutic massages as well as their special tea. On this trip we were also celebrating our 17-year old twins birthday. Debbie arranged to make two cakes complete with candles plus she got us to send her photos and put together a slide show for them. It was a nice surprise for them. Again, Debbie and Steve were so great getting everything ready to make sure that everything went smoothly. You can tell that they really want to please their guests; they definitely deserve A+ for customer service. This reflects on how quickly their lodge is booked up so if you are interested, you better book at least 8 months in advance otherwise you might not get a room particularly in high season.
The Staff: They are very polite and pleasant, great staff!
Laundry service: we are so thankful for this service as we have 3 kids with lots of dirty and wet clothes and we are so glad they have this service.
We would return to Leaves and Lizards and we highly recommend this place to anyone who wants to have a different experience in Costa Rica!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This secluded resort is located on 26 acres with spectacular viewing of the Arenal Volcano near La Fortuna. Enjoy the panoramic vista of Arenal and Cerro Chato from a hammock on your porch or from your comfortable, orthopedic, queen sized beds with Egyptian cotton sheets. Meals prepared using locally grown ingredients at the Lava Lizard on-site dining facility. Guests are invited to help with daily 'chores' on this working farm. Milk a cow, collect eggs for breakfast or groom a horse. Enjoy private horseback riding, professional guide service, on site spa and 2 km of on site nature trails. The vision at Leaves and Lizards is to create the perfect blend of adventure, discovery and tranquility for each guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park