“An Exciting and Relaxing Vacation All In One”

and 1 more site!
Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lyon, France
“An Exciting and Relaxing Vacation All In One”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Leaves and Lizards is a great place to stay, off of the beaten path, yet close to everything you may want to see in Arenal . It offers all of the excursions that an adventure seeker would want to experience while in Costa Rica. I have actually stayed there twice, once in 2009, and again in 2012, and it has gotten even better over the years. The hosts are extremely hospitable, the food is great, and the views are breath taking. I plan on staying there again for part of my next trip to Costa Rica while I am in the Arenal area. The internet connection was also great, so I managed to get a little work in as well.

Room Tip: The Hummingbird House is great for larger families and is close to all of the property's hiking...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 19, 2012

2012 was the third year in a row for my Costa Rica photo workshop at Leaves & Lizards. Deb and Steve are always gracious hosts and I count them among my friends. The cabins are maintained beautifully, and they always look as if the resort just opened. They do a great job of accommodating my photography group. From rooms to meals to tours, Deb offers suggestions and assistance at every turn.
The hardest part is leaving, but we'll be back next year!

Room Tip: The cabins all have a great view of Arenal... on a clear day
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RKPhoto
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2012

What a wonderful adventure and retreat! Never, never have I been so fully occupied with the place, people, culture and pure adventure. Every day was a new thrill and challenge for me. Leaves and Lizards was the perfect setting for an adventure get-away, but with amenities that provided comfort, beauty, health and satisfaction. Thank you Leaves and Lizards.... I will return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sonoita AZ
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Fabulous food, good accommodations. Wonderful hosts Debbie and Steve. All kinds of adventures, great horses to ride, waterfall to swim in, hot river , cool downpours, earthquakes, kayaking. Good massages. Guides were sweet and knowledgeable. We conducted an Eponaquest workshop while on a 5 day riding trek.

Room Tip: Monkey cabin was great-a beautiful view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I just returned from an Epona Trek at Leaves and Lizards and I must say, this more than a destination vacation was beyond fabulous. The facility was beautiful and the cabin was first rate, the presentation of the towels on the bed was an added touch that I had never seen. Debbie and Steve and their staff were a pleasure to be around. The food was freshly prepared with many of the items grown there. The Costa Rican horses were so brave, sure footed, and gentle. The entire scenery during the trek was the most beautiful and the guides made everyone feel safe and gave us information on the region and the culture. I will definitely be going back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank equine365
Arizona
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Seven day horse trek, with the Epona approach to riding. We seven of us had the most amazing trip of a life time! The culture, horses, guides, volcano, earthquake, hot springs, zip line, kayak. Everyday was a new adventure. This trek is fine for beginners, because the horses are so well trained. So exciting one day after another. The water fall the first day of the trek was breath taking. We went swimming under the falls diving off rocks into deep clear pools of fresh water.
We had three different stops for the trek before we got back to Leaves and Lizards. Each nights stop the facility's were clean fresh and most of all wonderful family's. Debbie and Steve put this trek together along with the local people. It could not have been better. I will be back again in January! Thank you so much for everything Debbie and Steve.

Stayed September 2012
Petaluma, California
Reviewed September 11, 2012

What an unbelieveable location! I would have simply stayed at L&L all week, except I had signed on for a multi-day horse trek. The beds are comfty, the views are unbelievable, and the meals are great. What more can I say? Well, alot. The people, wildlife and culture are wonderful. I joined a group of seven other women for a trek through the mountians/hills/valleys/forests and ranches. During our trek, we stayed with two other families and had lunch with a third. Everyone was warm, welcoming and generous with their time and stories. We didn't miss a meal...and I do mean "meal", I gained nearly 5 pounds.
During our rides we saw spider monkeys, holler monkeys, a sloth, red-legged frogs, tons of birds and many familes/children. We had three guides with us at all times to share the history, culture, habitat and point out the wildlife we would have missed given the beautiful scenery. Debbie and Steve are wonderful hosts and care deeply about the country they call home. I will definitely return soon, and will bring my non-riding husband along. Enjoy!

Room Tip: I stayed in both the Volcano room and the Tucan room. Both have fantastic views of the Volcano (be s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 62 in Arenal Volcano National Park
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#7 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat? Share your experiences!