“A Gem of a Hotel!”

Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Reviewed September 15, 2007

I selected this hotel based on the rave reviews left on Tripadvisor. I have to say, everyone is right, this is a great hotel.

There is a monster hotel being built next door and the construction did start on the early side, but considering we were rarely in the room, it was not enough of a nuisance for me not to recommend the hotel or to stay elsewhere if I was to return in the near future.

Now the many positives... Arenal / La Fortuna is a gorgeous place and the hotel is located 5 KM outside of town and on the road out to the hot springs, volcano, etc., so it is centrally located to places you will want to go and see. The grounds are beautifully maintained. Everything is sparkling clean - our room, the pool, the restaurant. I did not notice any bugs in our room of any sort, even though we were essentially in the middle of a rain forest... definitely a positive from my perspective. The "room" was spacious and it is a real treat from a traditional hotel. In addition, I thought it was the best free breakfast we had in Costa Rica as it was always fresh and made to order. We also ate lunch there one of the days and enjoyed the food.

It is of note that my friend and I did not have a car. We chose to fly Nature Air around Costa Rica and we had no problem coming and going as we wanted to. The tours (which we booked ahead of time on the Internet) will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. Cabs are a nominal cost compared to the US and they arrive quickly. My friend and I easily got into La Fortuna (Restaurant Don Rufino was enjoyable) or to the waterfall (highly recommend!) by taking taxis. As our Spanish is horrific, English speaking drivers were often sent for us, and they would point out fun toursity things along the way. As a side note, if you drive to the falls, be warned - calling that a road is a pretty liberal definition of the word.

Again, as others have noted, the owners of the hotel are extremely kind, helpful people. They are genuinely interested in making your vacation a good one.

As far as activities while we stayed there, we also ziplined using Skytrek in Arenal (also highly recommended - I always felt safe and it is SO fun). The Skytrek facility is not too far from the hotel. In addition, we did do the Volcano Hike and Ecothermales (with dinner) package through Sunset Tours. We chose Ecothermales (same owners as the hotel) as I read it was the "least touristy" of the springs. Although I have no comparison, it was very serene the evening I was there. The facilities at Ecothermales were clean and the grounds are gorgeous; the dinner, although not spectacular, was solid for a tour associated meal.

All in all, Arenal / La Fortuna was a highlight of our vacation in Costa Rica and this hotel was part of this great experience. I look forward to returning to this hotel and part of the country in the future.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank Ellen28

Reviewed September 14, 2007

Decided on this place due to the other strong reviews on this site. We were not disappointed. First off, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We received some great advice that showed they weren't just wanting to sell us a tour.

The room was clean and spacious. The restaurant served some tasty fare (some of the best gallo pinto we had) at prices that were much more reasonable compared to other restaurants in La Fortuna.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ChitownFoolio
Reviewed September 10, 2007

We chose to stay at the El Silencio del Campo despite the reviews on this site about construction work going on at a neighboring hotel and were there for 3 nights end August. The rave reviews on this hotel made us feel we could put up with the noise.

For those who are planning to book, the owner says that construction is expected to finish around October. As the dry season starts in Dec, I am sure the neighboring hotel will want to be ready for that. Yes, there was noise and yes, it did sometimes go into the evening but we were out most of the time and when we were in, it was pouring rain, so even the workers took cover.

Now back to the El Silencio, it was really lovely like what all the other reviewers said. We enjoyed the unbeatable view of the volcano (you've got to get up before 6am to get a photo of the volcano without cloud cover - actually I think it is the smoke from the volcano), the lovely landscaped grounds, the fact that the rooms were in individual huts, the spaciousness of the rooms, the clean although tiny pool and the friendliness and helpfulness of the owners. At present, the volcano spits from the other side so don't expect to see any fireworks from your room.

You will need a car to get to this hotel. It is quite a way out and there don't seem to be any buses.

For those afraid of bugs, I don't think you can escape them in this country. We had some small harmless ants crawling around and a cockroach managed to find its way into the bathroom through the drainage pipe. This is all probably the fault of other guests who eat in the rooms and leave crumbs all over.

Judging from previous reviews, I think the hotel is about a year old now. The plants have grown and are lush now. However, you start to notice wear and tear in some places in the rooms.

Compared to other places we ate at, I would say the food at the hotel restaurant (we had breakfast and dinner) is not the best but it is not so terrible either.

Tours - the hotel will help you to book but I suggest you do your homework and know your prices before you ask for their help. We noticed that prices varied from tour agency to tour agency (in town) and what we booked through the hotel was slightly more expensive.

Stamps - I couldn't find a post office anywhere but finally found a tour agency in La Fortuna which sold stamps and has a post box inside. Forgot the name but it is the tour agency just before the park where all the buses stop (coming from Don Rufino). Can't miss it. The hotel wasn't able to provide stamps and the new receptionist told me it would cost about 800 colones per postcard. I paid 160 colones per postcard!!!

We went to both Eco Thermales (owned by relatives) and Baldi Hot Springs. Baldi is just opposite Eco Thermales. If you book at Eco T through the hotel, it is much cheaper and if you pay cash, it is even cheaper (USD18, kids USD14). They have 5 romantic hot pools.

Baldi is much larger and very different. It has 25 pools and is more commercialized. However most are too hot to enjoy. Some agencies in town offer entrance at USD18 but if you go to the Baldi Reception, it is USD25. BEWARE - at Baldi you have to pay for lockers $5 each. They aren't big so for the 3 of us, we had to take 2 lockers. You also have to put a deposit of $10 for each towel - which means you have to guard your towel otherwise someone else will turn it in for $10! No hot water in the showers in the bathroom at both places and no hairdryer!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank franinmuc
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Our family (mom, dad and 3 kids: age 18, 14, 11) just got back from a wonderful 10-day trip to Costa Rica, where we split our stay among three areas - Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio.

We stayed at Hotel Silencio del Campo at Arenal. Wonderful place, beautiful, clean (inside and out) stand alone cabins, great and helpful staff, nice grounds, great view of the volcano. We stayed at cabin #2, where it has the best view of the volcano.

The hotel is within a half hour of all the major activities you would find in the area (I highly recommend the activities we did: canyoning, horseback riding to La Fortuna falls, viewing lava flows from Arenal Observatory Lodge).

The resort is walking distance to the hot springs resorts, but a 5 minute cab ride ($4) to La Fortuna, the town. Downsides are that the hotel is not on the side of the volcano where the lava flows are and there is a multi-story building under construction next door.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mobio
Reviewed July 31, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here in late July for two nights. The grounds are immaculate and beautiful. Our casita was very nice, clean and cool. I do agree with a previous reviewer that they could have better lighting over the sink, for women putting on a litle makeup. The view from our window of Volcan Arenal was awesome! The owners are so kind and helpful. They booked a canopy tour for us that was the highlight of our trip. Breakfast was very tasty, and Diego the owner came out every morning to ask how things were and chat about what we were doing that day. They have some construction going on next door, so we heard that in the mornings. But the sun comes up so early in Costa Rica that we were out and about by 6:30 or 7 each day, so it didn't bother us. Besides, the hospitality and beautiful setting made up for it. Overall, a wonder stay!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thetakat
Reviewed July 29, 2007

This is a lovely hotel with some 20 wooden cabins very close to Arenal. The cabins are lovely and spacious, with two queen size beds each, a large bathroom (shower only, no bathtub) and a nice balcony. Nice views of Arenal from the balcony and the public areas. When you look in the right direction you feel you're in paradise.

But then you turn around, and towering over you is a five-floor big hotel being built, just meters from the reception. Construction work goes on seven days a week, from 6am. While it's not very noisy, it's just terribly ugly. I can't think what it would be like when the work is finished and busloads of tourists will fill the next lot.

We stayed two nights and liked it. The room was clean, the people were very nice (especially Luis-Diego), breakfast was superb and the birds and butterflies and flowers -- a delight. The small swimming pool was very welcome. What the future will bring to this beautiful place I don't know.

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank TravellerJack
Reviewed July 27, 2007

We booked a 2 night stay at this hotel in Dec 2006. The rooms are individual cabins with attached bath. Quite cute.

The room itself if basic, I felt it could use better lighting.

The grounds are beautiful and well spread out. They even have a little play area for the little ones.

The view of Arenal is very clear and breathtaking. Though the direction of lava flow was to the other side and not visible from the hotel. We spotted the lava flowing on our way to the hot springs and pulled over on the side of the road to watch. Other cars behind us started doing the same :) Amazing site if you get lucky. From the hotel the next morning, we could see smokey clouds (lava is most visble at night due to the reduce ambient light).

The breakfast was slow as they only had one cook, so make sure you have plenty of time.

The location of the hotel is very close to the town so easy to go for eats, etc. We also did a hike down to the falls and river - La Fortuna Falls. Some people did a repel trip as well.

Overall good place to visit, sufficient hotel...

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends