“Hands down best place we've ever stayed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel El Silencio del Campo

and 1 more site!
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Newburgh
“Hands down best place we've ever stayed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Absolutely amazing place! There is honestly nothing negative I can say. Every single staff member was exceptionally kind and helpful. They all went above and beyond to make you feel welcome. They always greeted you and asked how your day went and even offered to help schedule any excursions.

The location is great as it is just minutes from La Fortuna, which offers several restaurants, some souvenir shops, and many tour companies. Plus, you have an incredible view of the volcano.

The grounds are incredibly beautiful with all of the flora and fauna, but our absolute favorite part were the hot springs. Words or pictures just can't even do justice to how awesome everything is. The hot springs were so relaxing after a day of activities. We loved getting in them in the evenings with our tropical drinks (especially when it rained because it was great to feel the cool rain sprinkling on you while sitting in a warm pool). Four out of the five nights that we were there, we had one of the several hot springs all to ourselves.

The bungalows were very nice. The bathrooms offered a large shower and there was a very large vanity area outside of the bathroom. The beds were comfortable and we had free wi-fi in the room. Each unit had its own patio with a table and chairs. We used it a couple of nights to play cards.

There was even a small farm on the grounds where you could milk cows in the morning and help collect eggs from the chicken coop. Our daughter especially enjoyed that. She was eager to get up each morning just so she could go down to milk the cow.

Their free breakfast was great. There were several options to choose from on the menu, but our favorites were the omelettes and pancakes.

I just can't believe all this place had to offer for such an incredible price. I promise you that if you do decide to stay there, you will not be sorry. I would absolutely stay again if ever in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is a gorgeous property. The rooms, which are individual buildings, the food, the service help, the gorgeous hot springs, the spa facility......what more can I say. It was a wonderful experience for the 4 days we spent there in January 2014. Not one complaint or negative thing to say. Would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: All rooms are in private buildings - there are no bad rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Concord, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Five stars for the staff here. On our last evening, my five year old son tripped and fell outside our room, and needed stitches on his chin. I took him to the front desk and asked if they had a doctor that would come to their hotel or if they could call a taxi for us. Their preferred doctor was out of town that night, but they spoke with her to get information about a good local clinic, and at 8:30 on a Saturday night, the hotel manager drove us to the clinic himself instead of calling us a taxi.

The room was also lovely. We had cabin 23, a family cabin, and it was clean, new, and pretty inside. There were some ants coming in, but it's the rainforest. The grounds were also beautiful.

Here's where the hotel lost one star:
-The food was our least favorite of our trip, but the hotel is too far from downtown La Fortuna for going out to other restaurants to be reasonable if, like us, you don't have a car. (It bears mentioning that one couple we spoke with loved the food there. Maybe our vegetarianism limited us from experiencing their good stuff.)
-The swimming pool is small - our kids didn't want to spend a lot of time in it.
-The hot springs have a duck that likes to join you in them, and one morning we found unpleasant evidence that a duck had been in it before us.

I think when we return to Arenal we will either stay in town at a hostel or other low-budget place, or if we don't have our kids with us, we'll splurge on a fancier romantic spot. If you are looking for a reasonably priced, nice, quiet spot with hot springs and a good view of the volcano - not to mention a great staff - we absolutely recommend El Silencio del Campo.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank megananna22
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

If I could give this place 6 stars I would! My daughter and I stayed here 4days/3 nights and loved every minute of it!
The best things about this hotel are the staff, the grounds, and a good value.
Every single staff person we encountered was kind and helpful. One example was in setting up excursions. They are happy to call and set these up for you and give you a voucher so you can just pay for everything once at the end. One of our excursions wasn't answering the phones. We were told to go ahead with our plans to go get lunch and they would keep calling for us. We returned from lunch with a confirmation and voucher complete. Another example was listening to many tourists butchering Spanish wanting to practice their language skills. The bilingual staff was always genuinely kind and patient helping them along. I really can't say enough about the staff.
The grounds were just beautiful, our cabin(#11) was clean and lovely. In regards to some reviews about bugs...they are everywhere in Costa Rica. In our entire stay we only encountered one small spider in our room. That being said, I can appreciate that various rooms and seasons may account for a variance in bug encounters. This was not a problem for us at all.
I think this was a great value considering breakfast was included and the hot springs are free. If you read some of the complaints about Tabacon hot springs (price and over crowded) this made Silencio del Campo an even better deal. The restaurant food was overpriced (like many of the tourist spots). We picked up some stuff at the supermarket to save $$.
Overall this was a wonderful experience and we would go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank nvt234
Boulder, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was our first accommodation in CR. We stayed for 3 nights--my wife and I in 1 unit, our 2 teenage daughters in another. Very satisfied with our rooms. The hot springs were well-designed, secluded and soothing (calm and intimate compared to those at the Baldi), and the grounds surrounding them beautiful. We did not use the spa services. More than once felt grateful that we were not staying at the ostentatious Hotel Royal Corin that looms awkwardly over the entry to Silencio's property. Simple but tasty breakfast was included. The staff were warm and competent.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Location
1 Thank Chris K
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We spent two nights here while in the Arenal area. I did a lot of research and finally decided on Hotel El Silencio because of the location. It is right on the main drag so it's easy to get to La Fortuna and other activities. Other hotels I looked at were 1-2 miles off the beaten path which could add 20 minutes to your drive. We had a car so I knew I wanted easy access.

The hotel was very nice and exceeded my expectations. We were in casita #4 and the noise from the road did not bother us at all. The room had a mini-fridge and TV with a few English-lanugage stations. Another nice feature was that the sink was in the main room which is very handy when 4 people are sharing one room.

Breakfast was very good. They offer a choice of 4-5 items. Between the 4 of us, we tried them all and had no complaints.

The grounds are very nice and the hot springs are fantastic after a day of hiking. For the price, this was a perfect spot.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Downdog99
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

After staying at Casa Luna in La Fortuna area this hotel did not meet my expectations and I was quite disappointed with my stay. Do not stay in room no. 16 as we had to deal with a trail of ants by the sink wall. It wasn't just one or 2 it was like 50-60 ants crawling up and down the wall. There was also a beetle that crawled up my leg in the shower. The ants were also crawling on the shelves where my luggage was and even by the night table. When I moved my luggage to the bed the ants moved there too. Finally used a hair dryer to blow it all off. I also sprayed Off on the wall but they still came back! So beware. As my daughter said she was so glad and looking forward to checking out as I was. The toilet bowl was also disgusting, streaked with several black vertical lines inside. Well you will see if you stay in room 16! Furthermore, there was a bad smell when I stood next to the fridge and also a bad urinal smell in the bathroom. Overall the hotel looked too well used and old although we had lots of privacy in our own cabin. The pool was extremely small and underwhelming compared to other hotels I've been to worldwide. Also don't expect internet in that room.

What was nice was the exceptional friendly service of the servers especially at breakfast and front desk. The servers at breakfast worked very hard to deliver breakfast efficiently. My questions were answered by email promptly by the staff before my trip. What was also nice was the hot thermal pools at the back of this hotel which was a treat.

Becareful as the hotel calls the same taxi driver as we saw him on the day we checked him. He drove us the following day to Tabacon and charged us 9000 colones. We took a van ride back from Tabacon that night by a driver called by the Tabacon resort and was only charged us 6000. Even though traffic was not heavy during the day time it was $6 US difference or 3000 colones. Well the taxi's are all expensive in Costa Rica as they overcharge tourists as a blog I read said, what are you going to do call the police? However in this case I think 9000 was a bit drastic. I think since I saw this taxi driver on different days at this hotel stay it makes me think the hotel gets a cut from calling this driver. It's basically what they say when you ride a taxi and pay what they ask for!

Overall despite the excellent service and friendliness of the staff I felt the smell/cleanliness did not meet my expectations. Furthermore the ant problem was not pleasant which the hotel needs to address in this room despite it being Costa rica. I mean I did not get the same problems with the 2 other hotels I stayed at in CR. I will for sure not stay at this hotel again even with a discount. It's also 7000 colones to get to town to eat as it's quite far. What I did was I had take out for dinner one day.

Room Tip: Do not choose cabin #16 as there is an ant problem.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends