“Beautiful grounds and great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Silencio del Campo

Hotel El Silencio del Campo
New York City, New York
“Beautiful grounds and great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and were very happy with our choice. The hotel is very well maintained and the ground is beautiful. We stayed in one of the cabins further upfront only because my husband needs Internet to check on his business while we are away. If not, I would have preferred a room slightly further in the property. We loved the hot springs. Although this hotel has over 20 cabins, we never felt like there were a lot of people around. We were at the spring one day and had one of the pools all by ourselves the entire time.

We didn't realize that they have a huge area in the back that's dedicated to the spa until we went for our massages. The spa area is tucked away and you wouldn't know it's there just walking around the hotel. My husband and I had great massages listening to flowing water and birds chirping. Very relaxing.

I didn't give this place a 'perfect' rating because there were a couple of things that could be improved. The shower in our cabin wasn't very strong. The water also wasn't that warm and I could just take showers without turning on the cold water at all. Also I am a tea drinker and would like to have a couple of tea bags in our room with the coffee machine.
Otherwise, I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a reasonable place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: Higher number cabins are further back on property but may not get good Internet reception.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank babycakes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over during the holiday season. It is really nice that everyone gets their own building, kind of like having a studio apartment. We liked it because you never had to worry about noisy neighbors. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The grounds were very well kept. The hot springs were very nice as well. The location is close to many attractions. We had a car while traveling through Costa Rica (which I only recommend for those comfortable driving on extremely windy and dirt roads) and it was great to be able to go into town for dinner, drive to national parks, walk around, etc. The only con with this property for me was I was hoping for me luxury, everything is pretty basic but well cared for and nice. Also, the restaurant had pretty good food!

Room Tip: The higher the room number the closer to the spa and hot springs. The lower the number the closer t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stiney23
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay and appreciated the relaxing atmosphere after our long travel and busy days full of Costa Rica adventure. The hot springs are a perfect remedy to aching muscles from climbing Cerro Chato!

Our room was very clean and comfortable and the grounds were well kept. What I can not stress enough is how unique and pleasant the hot springs are. I smiled every day that we passed the other hot springs locations that had buses and a full parking lot of people that must have been fighting over the pools…when we got back to Hotel El Silencio del Campo, we had our hot springs to ourselves!

As much as I could say about the complex and facilities, the real joy is in the people. Jose - thanks for your patience with my Spanish lessons buddy (and for the cocktails).

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Andrew M
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel has a winning combination of gracious staff, gorgeous gardens/grounds (you never saw coleus like these!) and oh those hot springs! We especially appreciated the kind service of Humberto (Reception) and Jose (Pool bar). Both exemplified friendly and superior hospitality.On check in, the hotel offered a complimentary facial at the spa. We added a 2nd for a couple's facial - very relaxing and a terrific value. This encouraged us to return for a couple's massage the next evening. From aromatherapy to flickering candlelight to skillful massage hands, we both loved the experience and consider this spa top notch.
As a suggestion, please upgrade the ambient lighting in the rooms, for ease of reading and less glare.
We chose this hotel for their private lodges, and we hope to return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Ce M
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

very nice hotel if you are looking for quiet relaxation. very clean huge rooms and showers that would fit 4 people. huge shower. nice hot springs and the bartender jose is the best ever. what a great person and a big asset to the hotel.

Room Tip: stay near the back of the property away from the main road. unit number 22
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobbyveee99
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and really loved it. The lodges are convenient and clean. The gardens are really beautiful and well maintained. After a long day of sightseeing the thermal baths are welcoming. The staff helps you with everything you want (e.g. Trips and transport). The restaurant is okay but the restaurant of the hotel next door (Royal Corin) has more to offer.

• Stayed January 2013
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here during the first leg of our trip in Costa Rica. The staff was exceptionally helpful, especially Eliomar, who worked with us on last minute bookings (including day-of cancellation due to a horrible passport mistake, then rebooking later that night when the issue was resolved) and transfers from the airport. Other friendly staff recommended and assisted in booking adventures, and spa services, etc.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful, and the Arenal Volcano is breathtaking on a clear day. The landscaping is so lush and tropical, there are lots of bird species (that often gather in front of the restaurant...attracted in part by fresh fruit put out for them!) and some other wildlife to be seen. The hot springs were fabulous, and we enjoyed them every night of our stay. The biggest hot spring is the hottest, but there are quite a few smaller ones to choose from at a variety of temperatures and in some nice private settings. Our casita (the room/cabin) was large, clean, and cozy. My only complaint regarding the rooms is that the showers only heated to just above luke-warm. I never really felt like I had a hot shower during my stay, and even got in the hot springs one night after a disappointing shower just to warm up and feel truly refreshed. Not a bad solution though =)

The spa is beautiful and relaxing. The hotel was running a free facial promotion, which I took advantage of, and also booked a massage for me and my husband. I had a swedish massage but asked for more pressure and it was fabulous; my husband had a deep-tissue massage and, while he said it was somewhat painful (to be expected with a deep-tissue massage), he said it was one of the best massages he has ever received.

The restaurant is good and the servers were very friendly. We ate dinner there two nights and the food was delicious. However, I do think El Silencio del campo could improve/expand their breakfast selections. There are only 5 options for breakfast: Huevos rancheros (eggs with a salsa/marinara-type sauce), an omelet, french toast, and two other options I cannot remember. Thankfully, everything is served with fresh fruit and coffee/orange juice if you want it. The breakfast is good (and included in the room rate), but the other hotels we booked in Costa Rica had many more options for breakfast. On the last night we ate at Don Rufino in town - highly recommended.

Note about activities in La Fortuna: We stayed 3 nights at El Silencio del Campo; our first full day was the perfect weather for hiking so at the recommendation of our shuttle driver we hiked the Cerro Chato trail and visited the La fortuna falls. Each costs about $10 per person, and it was fabulous! If you have a nice day with good views of the Arenal Volcano, and are in decent shape (the hike up Cerro Chato is steep and takes about 3 hours just to get to the top), I highly recommend it. The La Fortuna falls are within walking distance of Cerro Chato so you can just do that when you're done, as long as you get there before they close at 5 pm. The waterfall is stunning, you can swim in the lagoon, and we saw lots of Toucans there! With our other full day we went on the canyoning trip through DeSafio expeditions, which including rappelling down 230' waterfalls and trekking through the canyons. We also highly recommend this tour, which I believe can be booked through the hotel, though we booked directly with DeSafio (usually it's best to book directly through the company because you will get a better rate).

Overall, my husband and I were very satisfied with our stay at El Silencio del Campo. I think 3 nights was a good length of stay to "see" La Fortuna if you have other places to visit in Costa Rica. Thanks El Silencio del Campo! Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Since we booked last minute, we were placed in the casita closest to the road and the reception area...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple