“WOW! Gorgeous”

Hotel El Silencio del Campo
San Rafael, California
“WOW! Gorgeous”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

From the moment we pulled in, we were captivated! The staff was very warm and welcoming. Eliomar actually called us at home the day before our arrival to say they were awaiting us and asked if could make arrangements for us prior to arriving.

We were traveling with our 3 teenagers and our cabin was perfect! Three large beds and plenty of space for 5. The included breakfast was fresh and traditional. The service was impeccable and always with a huge smile. My daughters speak Spanish and they enjoyed speaking with the staff. The hot springs on the back of the property was great. We ended each evening here and even had dinner one night at the bar, which is at the springs.

Elio arranged a canopy tour for us with Sky Tram / Sky Trek and was fantastic. Highly recommend!

The housekeepers leave a nice surprise for you each day as well. We absolutely loved our stay here and would go back in a second. Actually, the following week we went to Manuel Antonio and rented a house and the third day, my wife looked at me and said, "I miss El Silencio del Campo!"

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Newbury Park, CA
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here with my family of four (2 sons ages 10 & 12). The property of this hotel is landscaped so beautifully. I could sit for hours, just watching the birds come and go through the trees, plants and flowers here. We stayed in room 2, which had an unobstructed view of the volcano. On several occasions, the clouds over the volcano cleared, and the view was absolutely stunning.
The room itself was so spacious for my family. It was very comfortable, modern and clean. There was a small refrigerator which we used to keep our drinks cold. I was concerned because room 2 is quite close to the road, but we never heard any road noise.
Breakfast here was delicious - we were able to choose from a menu of eggs, pancakes, omelette, etc. The pancakes were a hit with my kids. Each breakfast began with a platter of fresh fruit and hot coffee. The breakfast also included an opportunity to watch the birds, in addition to the "house bird" Lori the Parrot, who was quite a character.
The location of this hotel was a perfect center for us to see the sights in Arenal, and have our meals in La Fortuna. The staff were very helpful in arranging our excursions.
We rented a car, and the hotel always had plenty of parking available.
The kids loved the pool, and we all loved the hot springs - it was so nice to have the hot springs pool on the hotel property, instead of having to go elsewhere.
The only downside to our stay here was the insatiable No-seeums. Of course this is not the fault of the hotel!! Definitely bring your insect repellant. I could see myself retiring here, once I find a non-toxic no-seeum repellant!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tel Aviv
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel is actually 20 cottages in a lovely Costa-Rican garden.
They have their own small thermal spa where you can bath privately (since the hotel is very small) while drinking a nice cocktail.
The rooms are large, even though a bit strangely designed (the sink is in the room, outside the bathroom, even though the bathroom is huge... and there is no sink in the bathroom.... who is the architect ?!?!?!...). I have nothing bad to say, it's just that they could have dont much more with small effort.

It is clean and quite, but a bit expensive so try to bargain.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
LDZV, Owner at Hotel El Silencio del Campo, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Reviewer.
I want to thank this client for staying with us and for the comments made based on the recent stay at Hotel El Silencio del Campo!!! I think I must clarify two things. First, the villa that was given to this client was a handicapped room. In this villa there are no steps and the bathroom is bigger compared to the ones that have a standard size and its design is due to the Costa Rican Design Regulations for handicapped people. As of the sink, my wife and I have had the opportunity to stay at different hotels in Costa Rica and hotels abroad and we’ve seen both styles. Some hotels had the sink inside and others outside. After comparing, we arrived to the conclusion that having it outside was more practical. The reason is that when travelling with the family or friends, you waste a lot of time getting ready especially if you have an itinerary to follow. With the sink outside some of the members at the same time can brush their teeth, comb the hair, and even use it for makeup while someone can use the bathroom. All comments are welcome as those help us improve and; thus, give better service to all of our clients. The one below helped to clarify an issue that had an explanation. If this client decides to return, we will be happy to have him stay with us again.
Luis Diego Zúñiga Vega & Kattya Hidalgo Murillo
Owners
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I didn't expect this place to be so nice when booking, I only booked it since I was looking for a reasonably priced place to spend a night. It's not luxury, but it is clean and decent and charming and unique. We had a great time and would return to stay longer next time. I loved the hot springs pool, and the bartender (I don't remember her name) was very nice and friendly. There was a quiet and relaxed vibe, though it wasn't empty. The waiter served us dinner on our front porch which was really great, such a nice touch and really reasonable deal. We had the casado with fish and it was really fresh and delicious, I would have been a pig and ordered a second if I had known how good it would be. They also brought us some ice cream for dessert.
We did have a problem with our toilet, and it took a little time to get it fixed, but the maintenance guy came after a while and took care of it. Actually, it may have been our young child who was still getting used to the rule of not flushing toilet paper. That does tend to stink up the whole room, but the problem is not unique to this place. I encouraged my family to use the public shared bathroom for anything that would ruin the ambiance in our room.
It is unfortunate that this wonderful little place is overshadowed by the high rise hotel next door. Thank goodness I didn't book a room in that monstrosity. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay. I don't know if we'll go to Arenal on our next trip to CR, but if we do, we'll stay at El Silencio del Campo.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank world_travel_dreamer
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed here for the majority of our honeymoon & we loved it. The staff is friendly & extremely helpful, and they even stash umbrellas around the property so that guests can take them as needed when they get stuck out in the rain (it rained every evening we were there). The restaurant has a great breakfast (included with the price of your room) & serves superb food for dinner as well. During our time there, we ate dinner at the hotel restaurant every night and we were always very satisfied with our meals. Hotel Silencio is a great value for your money!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Had a wonderful time! Even be fore I arrived I had a very positivetoo experience. I made reservation directly with hotel. I was communicating with Elio who was very helpful and professional. Upon arriving it was my pleasure to meet him. He was wonderful! Took care of all our tours and special needs. The hotel is gorgeous and EVERYONE is friendly and helpful. Thanks Elio, Judy and Shirley at the bar.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Super comfy, clean, beautiful with super friendly staff and beautiful grounds and gardens at still reasonable price and hope it stays this way that we can come back. You have your own cabin and can see toucans and all other kinds of birds right on the grounds. Also, it has an individual feel , not like the other large scale, touristy hotels. Definite plus is the awsome free breakfast and good priced restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed August 2012