“So glad we stayed here”

Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Reviewed November 6, 2011

This place is as advertised, if not better. The grounds are beautiful. The rooms are spacious, nice and a good distance from other cabins. I highly recommend eating here. My friend & I ate once in La Fortuna (at the recommended place) and regretted it. Food at Silencio is reasonable and delicious.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,944)

Reviewed November 5, 2011

Loved this hotel. The food was great (and inexpensive), the room was spotless, the hot spring was awesome, the drinks were strong, and every staff member was helpful and friendly. (A staff member went out of her way to point out nearby toucans to us.) Great view of the volcano from the cabins. We met a couple who was staying at the hotel next door (which is huge and it's a shame it's too close to El Silencio del Campo) and I think they were a bit bummed that they paid $300/night for their room when El Silencio del Campo was so nice. Take the bartenders recommendations on drinks, he made us something awesome he named for his girlfriend. =) We got a free facial on check-in and the girl did an amazing job. I would go back just for the spa services. We were there during the rainy season, but it was fantastic, it seemed like we had the whole hotel to ourselves. Tip: See if you can get the parrot to laugh, it's a riot.

Room Tip: We were in room 9, right in the middle of the property, but all the rooms seemed wonderful.
2  Thank Martha F
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Hotel El Silencio del Campo was a great place to stay during our vacation to Costa Rica. Everyone is very nice and accommodating, the food at the restaurant was great, the hot springs was an amazing end to our days, the grounds are absolutely beautiful with a great view of the volcano, and having your own cabin/room is the best of all! You can't hear anyone else through the walls like at most hotels and have much more privacy here. We stayed October 19-22 which was the perfect time to go as there weren't many tourists around at all and the weather was still great. I would highly recommend staying here if you plan on visiting the Arenal/La Fortuna area. A few other facts that might be helpful:
- Beers $2 (at hotel restaurant or bar)
- Mixed Drinks (i.e. Pina Colada's)$4-$5
- Free breakfast at restaurant
- Lunch/Dinner at hotel restaurant very affordable and many options to choose from including burgers, chicken, steak, etc.
- Must eat dinner at Benedictus next door--amazing food and great prices!
- We did volcano hike, horseback riding to La Fortuna waterfall, and rafting with Desafio during our stay.
- Great downtown area for shopping and restaurants for a $7 cab ride each way from hotel. Hotel staff will call cab for you, have great recommendations of places to go, and store or restaurant will call cab back when you are ready to head back to hotel.
- Very safe area to go

I would love to go back and stay at Hotel El Silencio del campo again!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #18 and had an amazing view of the volcano. I think any room would be great there...
1  Thank NicoleAlissa
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Great hosts - everyone is really friendly. Loved how the rooms are separated. And the best part was of course the hot springs on the property. We pretty much ate at the restaurant on site for all 0our meals and were quite pleased. Definitely try the local cuisine.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Chicago_traveller123
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We stayed here the 2nd week of October,everything about our stay was wonderful! We travel a lot, so I don't say that lightly. The location and grounds of the hotel are relaxing, naturally gorgeous and just what you want, when staying in this area--it has the local flavor, and all the comforts you might ever desire, too!
The staff is amazing; our first evening there, we were enjoying a stroll of the grounds, and a big rain storm began. Luckily, we were by the hot springs pool, and we spent the next 2 hours enjoying the wonderful drinks and warm, friendly personality of Larsen, the bartender..what a great young man!! Larsen gave us tips on local foods (patacones, made there at the hotel), and things to do. I also got an amazing facial in the spa tent by the pool..what a great experience! I am sad that I don't remember the name of the pretty and sweet young lady who gave me one of the best facials I've Ever had. The beautful tent setting, with only the sounds of the waterfall, the thunder and the rain...relaxing beyond belief!!
We loved out casita; with a large main area, comfortable beds (beds in CR are firm, but we slept well; the sheets and bedding are good quality here), good air conditioning and nice bathroom. Our casita was also spotless! The front porch with chairs was a nice place to end or begin a day, too. The breakfast that was included in the reasonable room price was served in a semi open-air palapa style dining room, and was cooked to order and great! We enjoyed the omelets and pancakes, especially. When you are seated, they immediately bring coffee, orange juice and fresh fruit--what a beautiful start to your day, as you sit and watch all of the wonderful birds that come to roost in the bushes and trees, 6 feet away! There is also a small green "parrot in residence" that we enjoyed visiting each day.
With a gorgeous, full view of the volcano, excellent staff and accomodations, Silencio was the perfect choice for our stay. The warm, friendly front desk staff helped us book our tours, and we were thrilled to return to the property each day to relax in Paradise!

Here is my TA Costa Rica trip review, with more great info about this area:

Book with confidence and enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask to be in a casita further back on the property. We liked our #5, as it was close to the restaura...
1  Thank joboxer555
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We stayed two nights in the hotel and decided to come back for one more night later in our trip, since we loved it so much. The hotel grounds are beautiful and it was great to go to the not springs in the hotel, which were not crowded at all during our stay. The rooms are nice, very big and clean. There was hot water all the time and strong interent conncection in all of the hotel grounds, including the room. We even receiced a complimentary upgrade for our honeymoon. All the staff that we talked to were very nice and helpfull in giving information about the hotel, the area and different tours.
You should probably have a car when staying in this hotel since it's far from town and from most touris attractions.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

This review is long overdue, and I apologize to all the wonderful staff at this beautiful establishment. I found out about this magical place on tripadvisor. My wife and I spent our 4year wedding anniversary in the amazing country of Costa Rica. From my first contact with the establishment, I knew I was in good hands. Eliomar was very helpful, any questions I had, he was very quick to respond via email. I spent July 23-27 here and it is truly paradise. The grounds are very tranquil, it did not feel over crowded, the staff are phenomenal. Eliomar was great during my initial question answer period while researching the facility, and I met him briefly during my stay. But, my go to guy was Humberto. Talk about customer service. Upon check in there was a problem with my lock box, immediately Humberto personally came to my cottage and resolved the issue. Every morning I would see Humberto, and he would ask what my wife and I had planned, and if none, he would give us great recommendations, including great breakfast spots, nature observatories, and coffee houses. He was great, we miss him, he made us feel at home every day of our stay. The cottages were beautiful, you feel as though you get the true Costa Rican experience. For a genuine Costa Rican experience, I give El Silencio Del Campo 5 STARS, if you are looking for the American, shiny, bells and whistle, commercialize resort experience, then look else where, but if you want to experience nature, a great view of the volcano, and the true Costa Rican hospitality, then this is the place for you. Thank you El Silencio for an anniversary I will never forget, and thank you Humberto for being so wonderful to my wife and I.

Chet & July Johnson (July 2011)

Room Tip: Number 18 is a perfect location, close to parking without parking noise, and is in the back so you a...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UseYourPassport
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#6 of 65 in Arenal Volcano National Park
Nayara Springs
Nayara Springs
#1 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Hotel El Silencio del Campo? Share your experiences!