“beautiful rooms with volcano views and such friendly owners” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Green Hotel

Arenal Green Hotel
Denver, Colorado
“beautiful rooms with volcano views and such friendly owners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

This was our favorite place we stayed in all of Costa Rica. Herman and his daughter Monica who run the place are so friendly and helpful and want to make your stay excellent. The "villa" we stayed in the first night was perfect for our family of 6 (my wife and I, our 3 kids and grandmother). It had a huge outdoor kitchen under a cover that made it easy to make a nice dinner complete with hammocks for lazing around after. The rooms were clean and spacious and you could hear a little stream outside our door. Breakfast was amazing with choices of fruit or typical costarican food. Great location with near waterfalls and quick drive to town. We would highly recommend Arenal Green, especially to travelers with kids. Very safe location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

I booked a stay at Arenal Green for my husband and I, partly based on the great Trip Advisor reviews. We really enjoyed our stay and want to give a shout out to Monica, who was so helpful to us when we were there. Arenal Green is not in the heart of La Fortuna, so get used to a 15-20 minute walk or going via taxi (taxis were cheap). Nevertheless, the restaurant at Arenal Green was great (and usually better than the fare in La Fortuna), the cabins are clean and comfortable, and the staff was overall quite accommodating.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

what a fab place Arenal Green is. The owner German and hais lovely famiylu including Monica, made us feel so welcome and were always on hand to help us. The rooms were lovely, very clean with a gorgeous garden.
It was my birthday when we were there and the family were so very kind to me and gave me a cake and flowers, very touching. I would highly recommend this fantastic place !!!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

This is a true Latin American experience. Genuine hospitality, everybody from the owner to his daughter Monica, was so warm, hospitable and responsive to our needs. Our cabin was humbly decorated but perfectly clean with a wonderfully designed outdoor kitchen/bar area with 2 hammocks. It was right next to a small stream which we'd listen to in the evenings while enjoying few drinks at our outdoor mini bar. I recommend Arenal Green to everybody and plan to visit it again myself! P.S. we stayed in cabin # 4 (if I remember correctly)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

We had an absolutely delightful experience staying at Arenal Green. The entire process from reservation to airport pickup till the end of our stay had run smoothly. This is our first experience staying at a family-owned lodge instead of a chain hotel. We didn't regret a bit. The owner German stays on site and made every effort to take care of us. One of our friends forgot her bird book. He went to La Fortuna downtown to get one for her. We cannot list every little instance but we could state that German and his family extended warmest hospitality that we didn't feel anywhere else during our trip. We feel like visiting some old relatives. We were also delighted by the villa we chose to stay. It has a full bar and a large deck with two hammocks overlooking the Volcano Arenal. German also showed us his future spa tucked away in primary rain forests. It is supposed to be open now. Arenal Green also teams up with the best outfitters in town and got us deals to Tabacon Hot Springs, canyon repelling and a boat tour to Cano Negro. The lodge is about 2 miles away from the town center so it does take taxi to get to dinners or get liquor. But since it is away from busy streets, all you can hear is the sound of nature. Arenal Green is on the way to the Cerro Chato, a distinct volcano that offers a great challenging hike through primary rain forests. We are hesitant about sharing our experience here because we want to keep the memory of this place to ourselves.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Oakland, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

My partner and I stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights. The staff was very welcoming -- How? Well, we got in about 7pm and their chef was about the leave, but accommodated our arrival and still provided us dinner. The view was amazing -- all green... literally! Cabin was beautiful. The bed was a little hard to sleep on, but we managed. Food was good. I don't know how to speak Spanish very well, and it was our first time in Costa Rica so was a little adjustment... Arenal Green was definitely a good starter to transitioning to being in Costa Rica. Another sort of downfall would be being charged for the breakfast -- I didn't realize this until after we left. The nightly rates included breakfast, but the gentleman at the front desk (someone we never met while we were there) had included the cost of our breakfast... I kind of just brushed it off because it was a family owned place and was pretty amazing to just be there.

Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

I stayed at Arenal Green in November 2010 for two nights. What a wonderful place to stay! The grounds were meticulously maintained, and the rooms were immaculate. The family which ran the hotel was very helpful and kind, and the atmosphere they created was contagious. The rooms had a fridge, sink, A/C and shower, with plenty of space to store anything you want. Not fancy, but well constructed and super comfy.

It is not centerally located in La Fortuna like many of the other hotels people choose to stay at, but it isn't that long of a walk into town. It was nice and peaceful, though, and beautifully constructed.

I had to wake up early on my departure morning (5:00 am) to catch a bus, and while I waited, the owner got up and chatted with me like I was a good friend. Even though his English wasn't very good, it was incredible that he took such a genuine interest in me and how I ended up in Costa Rica. I don't know why, but it made a lasting impression on me.

Very welcoming to solo travelers.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo