“tranquility and great views”
Review of Arenal Green Hotel

Arenal Green Hotel
Pennsylvania
“tranquility and great views”
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I was delighted with my stay at Arenal Green. German and his family are very welcoming and helpful. German's daughter Monica was so helpful in giving me ideas for things to do in the area. The room was spotlessly clean, with a very comfortable bed (not hard as a rock, like many places I have stayed.) It is definitely off the beaten path, so if you are looking to be in the action, stay in town. This place is all about peace and quiet with great views and a lot of nice wildlife. In the morning, I saw many different types of birds around my cabin and also an agouti!

The Fortuna Waterfall is within walking distance, as is the town of La Fortuna, but you have to enjoy walking(I do.) On my early morning walk to the waterfall (from the hotel) I saw a couple of agoutis, 2 toucans, several lizards, and a turkey!!

The waterfall was amazing and I saw even more wildlife, including 3 howler monkeys!!! On the walk back to Arenal Green, a nice Tico gave me a ride since it was starting to get pretty hot out in the late morning. He didn't ask for anything, but I gave him a dollar anyway, because i really appreciated the ride!!!

When I got back to the hotel, I enjoyed an amazing 'typical' breakfast and some great coffee and fresh juice. I can't say anything but good things about this place. It was everything I wanted and I will return!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
natasha1980
Reviewed May 6, 2009

not a bad price, clean and simple. on a terrible road, but the road is under construction now. the beds were VERY damp when we arrived. We asked them to change it- but they were still damp and uncomfortable to sleep on since it would make your shirt wet. Extremely nice family that runs the place.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Temecula, CA
Reviewed May 2, 2009

Our room was cozy, and spotless clean. We were lucky to have stayed here 3 wonderful nights and wish we would've stayed longer. German, the owner, and his family, were very welcoming. They made us feel like part of their family. We were glad to stay here first, since it was our first time in Arenal. They informed us of all the activities in the area. They even have a little restaurant and the food was excellent. We loved everything about it. This place is a definite must stay. We will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
jentigua
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I began my trip with Arenal Green. This was a wonderful beginning of my trip, and wish I could have ended it there as well.

This is a small mostly family run hotel. The staff was fabulous!!! The food was great, and they could not have been nicer people. I felt completely safe and taken care of. They made me feel like part of the family.

German (owner), Victoria (chef), and Alejandra (hospitality) all treated me extremely well. I did several tours there, all recommended by Alejandra. I thoroughly enjoyed this leg of my trip.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful comfortable stay!

Jen

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I recently spent a wonderful 3 days at Hotel Arenal Green and would go back in a heartbeat! The small cabin my boyfriend and I stayed in was just perfect! It was spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed, great view from our small porch, and A/C (which was nice during the hot afternoons). Some other nice details were the fridge in the room and the huge shower. The breakfast was enormous and absolutely delicious! The hotel is located on a quiet road just a little outside of La Fortuna, which is ideal because the town itself is noisy and congested. This is a perfect place to stay if you’re looking for a great deal on a basic but charming hotel in a peaceful setting.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed April 22, 2009

We stayed at the villa of hotel since we were a family of 5 rather than booking 2 rooms. Even with 5 of us (with 3 teens) in one room, it did not feel crowded as the room was huge! The outdoor patio space with the hammock was great. Since the villa is in the back of the property, we were able to see the cows wandering around in the morning. You felt far away from the noise of LaFortuna but you were only a 3 minute drive away.

While the hotel is basic, it is super clean and you can't beat the hospitality of the owner, German and his staff. We booked all our tours through the hotel and saved $10-$15 over person (with a family of 5 this adds up in savings!).

German also provided transportation for our family of 5 to the hot springs, to town and San Jose Airport. We also took advantage of the restaurant on site. Lunch/Dinner was $7 max per plate. Breakfast was great and in big portions. There is an computer with internet in the lobby for guest use to check flights, email, etc for no charge. Laundry was done for very cheap.

To top it off, German let my daughter ride their horse in the property! My daughter was ecstatic! I san't say enough about the hospitality you are given. They treat you like family and go out of their way for you. While this is not a 5 star resort, you certainly get 5 star service!

Across the street is a nice art gallery. We bought a ton of stuff there as the prices were 15-20% cheaper than other shops in Arenal and Playa Hermosa in Guanacaste (where we were previously).

See my pics!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Athen, GA
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We looked at reviews on TripAdvisor.com prior to our trip and narrowed our choices to 3 hotels in La Fortuna. We decided on Hotel Arenal Green and were not disappointed. The cabins were spotless and the owner, German, treated us like family. He arranged horseback riding to the waterfall, a trip to Cano Negro, and even took us to Los Laureles thermal baths one evening. The food at the open air restaurant was excellent. He has wifi available at the lobby as well as a desktop available for guests use. The rooms had two large beds which comfortably fit our family of four. The bathroom was large with a shower. The room had a remote control air conditioner. There was a good view of Mount Arenal Volcano (Volcan Arenal) from the lawn but the lava flows cannot be seen from the La Fortuna side of the volcano at the present time. You would have to be staying on the other side to see the night time glow of the lava flows. See Arenal.net for the location of the active lava flows. German was willing to drive us at night to see the lava flows. Anything that we needed was provided; all we had to do was ask. The hotel is on a quiet road to La Fortuna waterfall and the trees often had tropical birds in them. For the money, I don't see how you can do any better.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family