“Cute cabins, great staff!”
Review of Arenal Green Hotel

Arenal Green Hotel
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Hotel Arenal Green is located on the road to La Fortuna waterfall. The rooms are cabins that are very clean and simple. Our room had a small kitchenette area with a refrigerator, sink and coffee pot. (Note to staff - a sample of coffee with the pot would have been nice.) Water was hot, bed was comfy. No TV or phone in our room. A nice little porch to sit and chill on.

You can see Arenal volcano from the road and entrance to the hotel, but we couldn't see it from our porch, just because of the location of the cabin. At the time we visited, there was some construction going on at the property, so I think they placed us in the cabin farthest away from the work. Those were the quietest construction workers, I barely heard a peep out of any of them. The best time to see the volcano was in the morning around sunrise, because clouds have not gathered around the top yet.

I made the reservations online thru the hotel's web site. Monica, the hotel owner's daughter, was working at the front desk. She was so cute and friendly and very helpful with booking excursions. She arranged a trip to Baldi Hot Springs the first evening we were there, and a volcano hike and dinner at EcoTermales the next night. On the third morning, I woke up ill. She allowed my husband to use the phone to re-arrange our zip line tour for the next day. When it was time to leave, her dad mapped out the way to Manuel Antonio for us. It is a family business, and her brother was working at the hotel as well, managing the construction. Everyone was so very kind and patient.

You are encouraged to recycle bottles, bags, etc. If you want a safe, you use the one at the front desk. Breakfast was not included in the price, but could be ordered.

From the hotel, you can walk to La Fortuna waterfall, it is about a 20 minute walk, and the path is used by farmers moving cows and by horse back riding tours, so watch your step. The waterfall park is open until 4pm, and there is a small admission fee. The road to the hotel is bumpy, but not too bad by Costa Rican standards. To drive to town center was about a 10-15 minute ride.

There are other cabin style accommodations on the road, but you can't beat the service and hospitality at Hotel Arenal Green.

Reviewed August 21, 2008

This was by far the best place in La Fortuna to stay at. The cabins were very cute and clean. They had a little kitchenette which allowed for us to eat a little cheaper when we started running out of money. We went down to the supermarket and bought groceries and were able to refigerate and microwave our food and our leftovers! The cabins also featured a really big bathroom and I loved the shower. The views of the volcano were AMAZING! I couldn't have asked for better!! If you are looking for very friendly, helpful and professional hotel staff, Arenal Green is where you want to go. The family that runs this hotel is super nice and helped us with just about everything, from calling us taxis, to recommending restaurants, to helping us get our luggage, to setting up tours, to helping us rent a car. I was definetly happy with everything from this hotel and I was sad to leave!

Reviewed August 11, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at Arenal Green. The cabins are very cute and comfortable and the owners of the hotel are quite friendly. We were also awoken by a rooster in the early morning but as another review said, that is part of the charm of staying in the country. Breakfast was good and cost $7 (US). We would definitely stay at Arenal Green again.

1  Thank LaurieSR
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We were 7 persons and we booked 3 bungalows via e-mail. Everything went smoothly, owner even didn't want prepayment even though we were from far Europe.
We just agreed that we gonna pay in cash on place.

Finding the place wasn't hard as we rented car from SJO and had a Garmin GPS what guided us directly to hotel.
Location was good considering that we has a car. Otherwise it would took some time to walk to town.
Staff was very helpful. It was a young girl from states or Europe who was in praxis. If she didn't know something she made some calls and found all out what we needed.
Also she arranged local tours (hanging bridges, thermal baths and canopy).
Bungalows were very nice, the view to volcano was perfect. We stayed in 3 person bungalow and there were no problem with room. Bathroom was clean and ok.
We were able to give all our valuables to deposit box in reception but I beleive there is no worries with security in bungalows also.
There were small restaurant area too. We didn't order on place anything, the owner allowed us to cook there by ourselves.
If I will be back to Arenal I certainly will choose Arenal Green.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2008

I recently returned from Costa Rica with 11 students. They all agreed that Arenal Green was, by far, the best place we stayed. Small, comfortable cabins ideally located near La Fortuna waterfall and extremely wonderful staff await you. I'd recommend them to anybody and I look forward to going back.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 5, 2008

I stayed there 4 nights mid-may with my girlfriend and it was our best stay of the trip.
Prices are very affordable, the bungalows are wonderful and very well designed, you have plenty of space, a fridge, and a huge bathroom, the room is perfectly cleaned every day, parking is 100% safe, there are no mosquitos..
The location is also great. You are 10 minutes away by car from a hike to el Cerro Chato and to La Arenal Waterfalls. You're 20 minutes away by car from the volcano. You are also very close to gas stations, banks et shops... However, once you in the propoerty you feel like you are very far from everything and the view of the montains is just awesome !
The staff is the best I've seen during my trip. They are very helpful, professional, and muy sympaticos !
Well there is much more to say about this wondeful hotel...
Just go there, you won't regret it !

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2008

This was the one nicer place my boyfriend and I stayed at while in Costa Rica and I loved every minute of it. The grounds were just gorgeous and we actually met the English speaking girl who works there on the bus heading there. Workers are very very nice. The guy (not sure what his name is) is really friendly and will give you good advice about the little town of La Fortuna :)

We actually did the hike all the way to the waterfalls which was quite an experience in itself, and if you're up for an adventure I would totally recommend. We actually went off the trail and explored a little and ended up at the end of this cliff looking place where you could see the drop off from the hill...gorgeous.

Anyhow, I loved this hotel, was totally worth it and was a nice little romantic and secluded place for my boyfriend and I. We actually got the place to ourselves the whole time we were there!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple