“Superb!”

Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Arenal Springs Resort was absolutely amazing! What a paradise!

When you arrive at your "room", you think you're in a casita. It has a private driveway, a little walkway, a front porch with handmade wooden rocking chairs, and huge windows. The flora around it is so beautiful and makes it very private.

Then you walk into your room and there are fresh orchids on the bed and around the bathroom. The shower is set up to look like a natural setting with plants, rocks, and a mini waterfall! We had one king sized bed, and the concierge actually brought in a rollaway for our daughter--free and without us even asking.

Both dinner and breakfast were super there, and we enjoyed the open air restaurant so we could see the banana trees, papaya trees, hummingbirds, parrots, and ponds. The pool was fun too, and the view of the volcano was great!

We loved Arenal Springs.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
hotel-arenal-springs, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Arenal Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2016

Dear guest thank you very much for choosing us for your holiday and thank you for taking your important time to write your valuable comments.

Reviewed August 1, 2008

This is a modified excerpt from my trip review:

We were originally booked at Volcano Lodge but when we arrived at Volcano Lodge, we found out that there was a problem with our bathroom in our room and that a plumber was working on it. We were given the option to wait or they would move us to another hotel. We decided to wait. We enjoyed the gorgeous grounds for a bit. There are 2 pools here, which I hadn't realized. We decided to eat at one of the restaurants (the more casual, non-seafood one) and Carlos at the front desk comped our meal, which I thought was a very nice touch. After our meal was over, I had a call from Carlos. Because it started pouring, the bathroom wasn't going to be in proper working order that night so we had to move. VL paid for our cab to Hotel Arenal Springs and paid the difference in the room cost (AS is a bit more). They also gave us a bottle of wine. Really, Carlos was very nice about the whole thing and we are pretty laid back. VL couldn't have been any nicer or made the situation any easier on us and I wouldn't let this deter me from booking at Volcano Lodge. AS is really close to VL so we were in the same general vicinity. Carlos did give us the option of staying at AS or coming back to VL on our second day but we were on our way out to EcoTermales and I didn't feel like packing everything up and moving, so we opted to stay put at AS.

Hotel Arenal Springs:

We got all checked in to AS and got into our room. You have to put your room key into this slot next to your door at AS to turn the power on to your room. My husband quickly figured out that ANY credit card-size plastic card will work to keep the power on, you just need something to complete the circuit. We didn't do this all the time but it was nice to be able to do when I wanted to go sit in the lobby or something while he napped and didn't want to have to wake him up to get in the room or when we spent the day around the hotel and in La Fortuna so we were in and out a lot. The only downside to this arrangement is that the mini-fridge doesn't have power if something isn't in the slot. I suppose you could leave something in the slot all day and just keep all the lights off and turn off the a/c while you are out.

The a/c worked well and we never felt hot or like the room was stuffy during our stay. The room was extremely neat and so clean and all of the furniture was very sturdy. It doesn't look like much in pictures but in person, it has a very relaxing, homey vibe to it. The bathroom is of a decent size and the shower is quite large with an area for plants behind it and a rock wall. It was a cool touch.

Our view of the volcano was spectacular. We had a picture-perfect view of the volcano and not only were we lucky enough to enjoy clear views every morning, we also were able to see an ash eruption and the top of the volcano glowing with lava 2 nights(must have been putting on quite a show for the people on the other side!).

We stayed in room 308 and I would recommend this room.

The front desk staff was very nice and helpful, one girl in particular whose name escapes me. She always remembered mine and was very friendly and helpful. Edward at the tour desk was very helpful. We had a bit of a situation where I needed to get our vouchers for EcoTermales printed up and he let me do that on his computer at AS for no cost, which I thought was very nice since we didn't book it through him. We did book our Cano Negro tour through the tour desk (charged to our room, very easy, excellent tour) and we took the hotels tour to see the lava, which we found was cheaper than any others I had found at $15 pp. We didn't realize this was a cash thing and didn't have quite enough on us. Edward said no problem and we just left the rest at the desk for the driver in the morning, no big deal.

The breakfast is included here and was very good. The coffee was strong but good. They offered gallo pinto, scrambled eggs, plantains or fried yucca depending on the day, a breakfast meat, cereals, pastries, fresh fruit, toast, an omelet station (they also had eggs and I think you could get fried eggs and whatnot upon request), and fresh orange juice. Oddly, they had cheese straws and they were excellent.

It seemed much quieter than VL but I think that is because it has a bit more space around it and is pretty spread out. I loved sitting on our front porch each morning, reading, watching the volcano, surrounded by the beautiful landscaping (including plantain and banana trees) and watching the birds race back and forth across the wide lawn between our cabin and the ones in front of us and the butterflies and hummingbirds visiting the flowers all around me. It was very quiet and peaceful. If you stay here, request a room that begins in an odd number. The rooms beginning in an even number didn't look like they had as good of a view but they might have, I just didn't want to go stand on someones porch to snoop. We were in 308 and our view of the volcano was stunning. My jaw dropped the first morning I opened up the curtains. Also, the room was private and we slept with the curtains open to enjoy the night time view of the volcano.

The hotel offers 2 computers with high speed internet access for complimentary use by guests. We took advantage of this a few times.

I would recommend this hotel. We really enjoyed our stay and found the sound of the rain on the roof to be relaxing and the room very comfortable. It was also nice to sit outside on the porch and enjoy the view of the volcano with the rain coming down. Everyone here was just so nice and helpful. We felt very comfortable here and really enjoyed our (unexpected) stay.

I hope this review is helpful to someone. You may contact me through trip advisor if you have any questions or find me on the Costa Rica forum here. I hope you enjoy your Costa Rican vacation as much as we did. Pura Vida!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank redheadgrl

Reviewed July 30, 2008

The majestic Arenal Volcano dominates the views from all the rooms in this sprawling, camp-like, hotel- as it should! We found the room quite comfortable. The rooms are spread out over the campus of the hotel and are actually cabins. Each cabin has two rooms and is complete with a porch and the most amazing shower you will ever encounter. The shower includes its own miniature rain forest! That's right, a group of plantings, fed with fresh rain water is adjacent to the shower.

You will find all the comforts of a hotel including Air Conditioning, a full-service restaurant and a pool area complete with swim-up bar. You will always be able to glance up and see the volcano. It never lets you forget its there.

You will also find that after dark there is very little lighting (a trade-mark of Costa Rica). The paths from the rooms back to the lobby and restaurant area will be pitch black. I could not read the check in the restaurant despite the plethora of lights- they use only 5 watt bulbs it seems.

If it rains, and after all this is a rain forest, be ready. The metal roofs used on the cabins will magnify the sound of any rain so much you will be convinced its torrential no matter how slight the rain actually is.

Finally, you will need patience to operate the remote control air conditioning system. It defies logic. The entire unit will shut down when you leave the room because the room key is required to power anything. When you return you will need to start over.

• Stayed: July 2008

Reviewed July 30, 2008

We really enjoyed Arenal Springs Resort. It was a connecting hotel for us so we weren't able to stay as long as we liked. They welcomed us with a "Bienvenidos!" cocktail which is much needed after the windy roads to the hotel. The pool and wet bar was great. Breakfast was decent and the room was clean and quite romantic with a beautiful landscaped shower and spectacular view of the volcano. We didn't have any problems with service, in fact they worked around our schedule and let us check out early while we were out on our excursion that morning. Very nice, place.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 28, 2008

Before getting into my review, let me just say that many of the not so nice reviews seem to be based on things out of the control of the hotel or poor planning. We had a great stay, and while not perfect in every way- found this spot to accomodate us nicely.

Pros: The first thing we noticed was the distance from the road. Many of the hotels in La Fortuna are right on the main drag, Arenal Springs was set back a ways which we were happy about (even though it is a bumpy way back from the road). The cabañas were newer and featured the beautiful showers with plants, stone, and trickling water (see photos). Views of the volcano were great (when the clouds moved away) from our rocking chairs on the front patio. We saw it erupt on our first night there. As for the other hotel features, the tour desk was very helpful in assisting us in arranging a last minute canopy tour during our stay (used Los Canyones and highly recommend them as well). Breakfast (included in the price) was typical Costa Rican fare and provided us with the energy needed for our excursions.

Cons: The foam mattresses that seem common in the country are not comfortable, and after a week of sleeping on them your back will feel it.

Definitely worth a stay and should our travels bring us back to Arenal, we will repeat our business :)

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 14, 2008

I would NOT stay here again. First, we arrived late to find that only two bath towels were provided for the four of us. This was only a minor inconvenience, but things went downhill from there. Our card key did not function on two occasions (no, we didn't get it wet). Once, late at night and we had to brave through the rain to get the issue resolved. The second time it happened when we were in a rush to get packed and checked out. But THE BIGGEST ISSUE WITH THIS HOTEL WAS THE POOL TOWELS. They have some kind of scam going on. We were given four cards to exchange for towels. We made the mistake of opting for 4 clean towels instead of demanding our cards back and two of the cards disappeared (the pool guy must have lost them). At any rate, despite the fact that we had their four towels to return, they charged us $40 for the lost cards - CARDS THEY LOST.

On the plus side, the breakfasts were good and birdwatching on the grounds (as well as howler monkey spottings near the property) was quite nice. But being held financially for the incompetance of their own staff left a bad taste in my mouth.

If you do stay here, BRING YOUR OWN TOWELS.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank hedgewriter

Dear Guest, we are very sorry not to have fulfilled your expectations and hope that your next vacation these are full of great memories and great experiences.

Reviewed June 23, 2008

My wife and I just returned from our 2nd trip to Costa Rica. We love the country and have traveled extensively both within the U.S and internationally. I’ve stayed everywhere from campgrounds and hostels to B&B’s and nice resorts…yet through all my travels, I've never been to a hotel that I would warn people not to go to--until now.
So you understand, I believe that the service and integrity of a hotel are much more important than amenities...
Arenal Springs property is nice enough (bugs everywhere—but hey you’re in the rainforest)--with nice views of the volcano (non-lava side) however Arenal Springs fails miserably with regard to service and integrity.

Below are a few instances:

A. We arrived at Arenal Springs in the evening by private transfer and when we got there, an 18-wheeler was stuck blocking the entrance. Our driver repeatedly called the hotel asking for them to send a golf cart to pick us up. The hotel refused—stating we should walk the 1000 meter unpaved, unlit road ourselves, while carrying our luggage. Finally, after 40 minutes of waiting and calling the hotel sent a cart to pick us up.
B. Arriving late we decided to eat at the properties restaurant. The waitress greeted us by throwing the menu’s at us. We decided to stay as we were hungry and there was no way out of the resort anyway (the blocked 18-wheeler). When we finished we asked her whether the tip was included on the check…she claimed it was not—but we later found out it was.
C. We met with the hotels concierge who referred us to a hike called “Los Tucanes” up Arenal volcano. He proceeded to call us a car service with a $40 round-trip charge. The driver was to drop us off and pick us up 2 hours later once we finished the hike. Unfortunately, the trail had been closed by the government weeks before we arrived in Costa Rica, leaving us stranded for 2 hours until the cab returned. When we returned to the hotel, the manager blamed us for the problem—stating it was our responsibility to know that the trail was closed—not the concierge who sent us there. Needless to say, our request for a refund of the round-trip cab fare was rejected as was our request to speak with the hotels owner.
D. Often times when traveling I use hotels phone service, rather than my cell phone—typically the rates are competitive or cheaper then international cell usage. But not here…
I used my credit card to charge to phone calls through the hotel and was charged $41 and $43 for two 5-minute phone calls. The charges were over $5 per/minute and an additional $15 connection fee.

This last rip-off should tell you all you need to know about this resort…visitor beware

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
11  Thank yzw200

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#7 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#9 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Manoa Hotel
Arenal Manoa Hotel
#13 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Arenal Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!