This is an excellent choice in the Arenal area. We were very pleased with it and enjoyed our stay immensely. I share the same excellent opinion about the volcano, views, rooms, pools, etc. All are superlative and I have to say, one of the nicest places I have ever been to--in the entire world--is one of the smaller, perfect temperature thermal pools (with a warm waterfall) that had an orchid garden, complete with butterflies. The in-room shower (with a rain cachement for the plants) was knock-your-socks-off lovely. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of it, as I probably won't see that again.
We found the food to be very good, but a little pricey. You could not ask for a nicer included breakfast. Overall, it was excellent value.
We had originally planned to stay at El Silencio (even put down a deposit) and then read about the new hotel right next to it (Royal Corin). Sure enough, we made the right decision in switching to Arenal Springs at the last minute. El Silencio was probably a phenomenal place in its time, but the high-rise has destroyed the sense of being in nature and away from it all. Arenal Springs (though bigger than we would have liked) still has that rustic feel.
Arenal Springs is not hard to find or to get to. Signage was excellent. We took transport from Liberia, but if we were to go again, we would probably drive it ourselves. We did go on excursions (with transport included) and also went to town for dinner one night (RT cab for 4 cost us $ 30 w/tip).
I would have liked to try their Spa, which looked lovely. But, the treatment rooms were open air and without AC, I really didn't feel like adding warm hands or hot rocks to my already-sweating body.
So, with everything so nice (and it was), why only a 4 and not a 5? 1) The initial sense you get on arrival is that you have moved to Levittown (or any of a million small home developments in the States). Several rows of identical cottages on identical streets on identical lots. You have to get over that monotony and appreciate the unique and gorgeous landscaping in front of your particular cottage. 2) if mobility is a problem, it can be a long walk (and up and down small, but noticeable hills) to the pools, restaurants, etc. 3) my husband had a hard time with the comfort of our platform bed. 4) the lack of AC in the public open-air dining rooms and spa made for some discomfort on some days/nights, but the positive aspect is that you really are in nature there (and the room had excellent AC) and 5) we found the staff to be friendly and professional, but not overwhelmingly warm or helpful. We got everything we asked for, and always with a smile, but there was no sense--even though we were there for 4 nights--that the staff went out of its way to know us personally or to take any interest in making our time there special. To be sure, all of these are only minor complaints, but to me, it's what separates the 5s from the 4s.
If I had my way, I'd give it a 4 1/2, because it's really better than a 4--just not perfect. I certainly would recommend it and would happily stay there again. Definitely a wonderful choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Arenal Springs is located just 5 miles away from la Fortuna town toward the Arenal Volcano or National Park. We are located between La Fortuna town and the Arenal Lake.The Hotel count with 87 Junior Suites and 3 Master Suites King and 3 Master Suites Queen with direct view to the Arenal Volcano. Each room are surrounding with exotic gardens, beautiful flowers and many species of birds. These rooms offer either a king size bed or two double beds. Also we provide rooms with handicap access and adjoining rooms for families who want stay together.Our hotel offers you 2 swimming pools and a Thermal river.Hotel Arenal Springs Resort offers on each Junior Suite the best amenities for your comfort. King Bed or Two queen beds, Hair dryer, Cable TV, Mini bar, Free Wi-Fi Internet access, Air Conditioning, Ceiling fan, Laundry Bag, Telephone, Safe deposit box, Coffee Maker free coffee and tea), Bath amenities, Private bath with tropical garden, hot water, Private terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Arenal Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Springs Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Hotel Arenal Springs
- Arenal Springs Resort And Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park