“A unique and wonderful experience!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Tree Houses Hotel Costa Rica
Reviewed February 20, 2009

We just returned from a 12 day trip to Costa Rica and were very excited that we included the TREEHOUSES Hotel in our itineray. We arrived on our 3rd day after a stay in Arenal. We had read about the hotel on tripadvisor and thought it would be a great and unique experience. It was!
There are 3 tree houses on the property. We had the fortune of staying in one with a loft for the kids and a tree going up through the the room! It was a nice clean room with window severywhere and a charming wrap around porch with a table, chairs and a rocking chair . All made of beautiful Costa Rican wood. Raeann greeted us and told us about the property. We loved the experience. There is a wonderful hike through fruit groves to a waterfall and swimming area. The hike was amazing! We saw leafcutter ants - unbelievable - and pick fruit right from the trees! The kids swam in the cold water at the base of the falls. Breakfast was included and very good. We sat and chatted with Raeann and watched many, many birds. Raeann gave us helpful advise on where to go and how to get there. We had a lovely 'tico' dinner at a resturaunt called 'HappyLand." It was great! Definately local and friendly. Something we did not get at the Marriott Los Suenos. As a bonus my husband enjoyed trying to figure out how the hot/cold water system worked ~ one pipe and the pressure changes the temperature ~ pretty cool. I will admit that this hotel is not for everyone. As charming and uniquely beautiful as it is, it does creek and sway a bit and there are many, many sounds that can let your imagination run... but then again it is a treehouse! If your up for a unique experience with a nice host. We recommend this hotel. We loved our stay!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank sailrobins

Reviewed February 11, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of our Costa Rica trip and it was worth every penny. The owner is a wonderful woman from California and hooked us up with a car service that picked us up at the airport and took us all the way to the hotel for a reasonable rate. We had breakfast everyday surrounded by hummingbirds (they were everywhere like beautiful flies!) and then took a very convenient bus from the hotel into Fortuna. It was very easy and cheap. There is a wonderful restaurant right next door where locals sing karaoke and there is great food. There are also hiking trails on the hotel property that are beautiful. We saw a sloth almsot every morning at breakfast and the rooms were amazing. They really were grownup treehouses. You really do sleep in a tree in the jungle. amazing. wonderful experience!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maragladstrong
Reviewed February 6, 2009

First I need to apologize to Rae Anne. I told her I would post something in Trip Advisor and I am 6 months late!!! We visited for 3 nights in August 2008.

How Quaint! That is how I would describe this marvelous little find, in the small town of Santa Clara, which is 20 minutes outside La Fortuna de San Carlos. This simple and rustic, yet endearing place, held so much charm for my husband and myself ( in our late 30's.)

We visited during the rainy season but it rained mostly evening to night time. After traveling from the San Jose airport, we climbed a small hill, in our small, rented 4 x 4. We then greeted Rae Anne, who is one the owners. The owners were very pleasant and helpful. They helped us decide to go on the Eco glide, the zip line tour ( awesome!!) as well as show us a sloth, hanging in a tree, on the property. This was one of the highlights of our trip!!! The Tree Houses does include breakfast, which consisted of egg w/ rice and beans, fruit juice and coffee. The other day was french toast . While seated in that common area, we watched 10 or so hummingbirds drink from the feeders. This was so enjoyable, I could have watched this for hours!!

We stayed in Tree House 1, which was located the furthest from the main road. Traffic sounds were not an issue for us. There were many stairs to climb but we were greeted by little benches with a table, which was on a deck. We did sit there, a lot, to look amongst the trees, look for monkeys and watch red squirrels. At sun up, the forest "noises" began with the howling monkeys, birds and cicadas. I loved that!!! There were bugs outside but we used spray and were fine. The house itself was on posts, which were built among the trees. The house did sway, when you walked around, but it was gentle and kind of cool. This just added to the "coolness" of the whole thing! Inside is very small. There is a full/queen size bed with a fridge and a safe. It was hard to walk around the bed but once we were in the bed, there was a great view right in front of us, out the window. On one side of the bed there was a little room with a toilet and a small corner sink. On the other side there was a shower. The shower was strange, since the pressure of the water determined how warm the water was. I didn't like it, at first, but I got used to it. Besides, there was a great view of the trees through the screened windows, in the shower stall ( see pic) At the foot of the bed there was a ladder that went up to a loft ,with a mattress on the floor. It looked really cozy and great for kids. The air conditioner ( that we did use) did not reach up there.

The grounds were beautiful. We hiked to the water fall ( really just a walk) on the property, where I wish I had my bathing suit . There was a small pool with steps all made with rocks. It was like something from a movie!

This place was really basic. It was a true "tree house" with a bed, toilet and a shower( and AC!) The mattress was worn, the sink only had a cold water tap, the room was tight and the shower was never really hot. I got over all of these things very quickly and had a wonderful time! I loved the privacy, the coziness, and hearing the sounds of the rainforest!!! Go there for an experience of being IN a rainforest, not for luxury. We were there for 3 nights and that was perfect!! This place is quite a novelty and would I highly recommend it! Please feel free to ask me any questions!
Pura Vida!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 4, 2009

The Tree Houses is a unique place that will not be suited for everyone. We were pleasantly surprised by the tree house cabin itself. It is an actual treehouse. We were given the largest house and it was not very big. There are floor to ceiling windows on two sides. Its sort of rustic, but comfortable. The main problem is that the treehouses are close to the main road to La Fortuna, so you don't really get peace and quiet. We were disappointed at the location. They would be perfect if they were really in the woods. We saw birds, but no other forms of life from the house. The bathroom is fairly small and we could never really get a grip on the hot water mechanism. Its a neat little place, but I would not recommend it for more than one to three nights. It is not luxury, but its fun for a few nights. Breakfast was pretty basic and we all got the same food. The restaurant is just down the road.

The first night we arrived, we took the trail behind the cabins. The trail was amazing. We saw toucans and other animals right in front of us. The bamboo stand is spectacular. The afternoon/evening noises were outstanding. Although we made it to the waterfall, it was dry when we were there, but there is also a river. The walk was worth it. The hummingbirds in front of the cabins were also really cool.

The owners were very helpful in getting information for us. We highly recommend Ecoglide for the zipline. We were driving to Tortuguero when we left the tree houses and the owner was kind enough to call a friend to get a driving time estimate. This was crucial because we had to catch a boat.

The tree houses are at least 25 min from La Fortuna, which is not as convenient and you must have your own car to stay here. The food at Happy Land was great. There is not much else in the area, so you will need to drive wherever you go. However, it is close enough to see Arenal at night, eat dinner and drive home. Overrall, this is a neat place for a few nights.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaigeCK
Reviewed February 1, 2009

One night in a tree house was the highlight of our trip! I wish we could have spent a couple more nights, but they we're all booked up. I was traveling with my 6 year old son, and Raeann(sp?) and Kelley were super, super welcoming. Raeann even took the time to show my son his first sloth, and let him take for the night 2 hatching gecko eggs that she was tending. He couldn't have been more thrilled. While we were there we hiked to the waterfalls, followed howlers swinging through the canopy, watched a poison dart frog hop along the leaf litter, and delighted in the swarms of hummingbirds feeding beside the breakfast area. We spent the night in the tree house that's located closest to the road (i don't recall the #) and as noted by others, we could hear the occasional motorcycle and truck zoom past. But it's not like the place is on the side of I-95, it's totally surrounded by woodland. In fact, the sounds of civilization are notable because we felt like we were so tucked away. Don't fret, you'll certainly consider yourself fortunate if you get the opportunity to visit this unique and incredibly welcoming little gem of a "hotel".

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed January 29, 2009

My husband and I had a great stay at the Tree House Hotel.

The drive up there from San Jose was a bit scary. If you're renting a car, don't skimp; you'll need a good 4WD car to get up here, although they actually did a lot of work on the roads between the time we arrived and the time we left 2 days later.

Santa Elena is a great little town in Monteverde, and the Tree House makes it even more fun. I loved the tree growing right through the center of the lobby and part of the restaurant!

The food at the Tree House restaurant was excellent! We ate there for dinner one evening, and then breakfast from the menu was included with the stay, which was so good. Especially the traditional Costa Rica coffee and fresh fruit.

The hotel offers internet access - about a dozen computers set up in their lobby. Guests of the hotel get free access, and I believe walk-ins could pay for access, too. It's also centrally located, right on the main street.

The room we got was fine for us - nothing fancy, but perfect for a couple of travelers trying to experience Costa Rica (a vacation at a spa was not what we were looking for!). Had a tv and safe.

The only thing unappealing was that you cannot flush your toilet paper, but many places are like this all over Costa Rica; it was not the only hotel we stayed like this.

Also, the Amigos bar right down the street is very loud at night. I can sleep through anything, so was not a problem for me. Plus there's so much to do in Monteverde (zip lines, canopy tours, orchid garden, etc) chances are you'll be beat by the evening. But, if you are a light sleeper, you might consider this when scheduling.

Overall, we had a great time at the Tree House Hotel!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TreesPlease
Reviewed January 27, 2009

In reading the previous reviews written I realized that the people writing the negative were simply expecting the wrong thing.

The treehouses hotel is wonderful. Raeann and Kelly are incredibly nice and helpful and willing to go the extra mile to help their guests. The locals at all the local restaurants suggested by Kelly and Raeann were also incredibly nice and helpful and so patient with our lack of ability to speak any useful spanish.

Raeann and Kelly helped us set up our tours and gave great directions to everything we needed.

I read some people complain in other reviews about the noise from the road. We were in the cabin closest to the road, and would occasionally hear a louder truck go by, but generally traffic noise was not a problem.

The walk to the waterfall was very fun, and if we had more time we would have swam in it. We were lucky enough to be at the Treehouses on the sloth's coming down the tree day and actually got to pet it.

The treehouses were really fun. Raeann and Kelly are fantastic hosts.

Stayed: January 2009
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
#10 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#5 of 64 in Arenal Volcano National Park

Been to Tree Houses Hotel Costa Rica? Share your experiences!