Tree Houses Hotel Costa Rica
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$316
$224
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$299
Hotels.com
$213
$201
Hotel Lavas del Arenal(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
$200
$85
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$465
$138
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Lodge(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$113
$96
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$177
$92
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$468
Orbitz.com
Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$103
$86
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Rancho Cerro Azul(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$72
$66
Travelocity
All reviewsnight hikehowler monkeysmark lucyunique experienceeach morningcoffee deliverednight watchmanjuan carloshappy landsloth housecosta ricahonor systemgreat hostsla fortunawrap around porchfree nightplantains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Listen...I liked Arenal, but the staff at The Tree Houses Hotel made this portion of our honeymoon oue #1 destination. Do NOT miss that evening hikes with Renaldo. We loved him. Honestly. In fact, we have exchanged emails and keep forgeting to send him a care package. His hikes were EPIC. In fact, we enjoyed his hike every night we were there. After the rest of the group went to bed, he took us to see an egret nesting site. I run in a world with many birders in the Northeast of the US, and even the most enthusiastic birders are jealous of the experience Renaldo gave us. That being said, sometimes you are not able to see as much as other nights, that is nature. Even then, we were simply happy to be hanging out with Renaldo.

Although I forget their names, the couple that manage the hotel are spectacular. They were more than willing, in fact they seemed to enjoy, to give us advice on where to go and what to see. Mark (I think that is his name) spent every morning chatting with us about what to see and helping us to identify the plethora of birds that visited us at breakfast. Breakfast...everyday was something freshly cooked and delicious. Some of our favorite meals during our honeymoon in Costa Rica. I wish I remembered the names of all of the staff. They were all lovely.

Listen...on my honeymoon, my new husband and I woke up to fresh coffee, saw AMAZINGLY STUNNING birds on our porch, got to shower while continuing to watch the birds (and other amazing wildlife) then went to have a breakfast on-site while having great conversation, eating a great meal and continued to see more amazing birds, then ended the night with an instant BFF that taught us more than a library of books could teach us....my question folks is: why go anywhere else. If it were not for Proyecto Asis, I would argue that we could have spent our entire honeymoon at the Treehouse and would have been thrilled.

My only regret was that we did not spend more day at the Tree Houses Hotel. We will be going back!!!

PS. Renaldo, if you ever come to the states, you have a friend in Pennsylvania!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mhamblin76
Reviewed April 28, 2014

treehouses were modern - no problems with plumbing, electricity, etc...
This is one of the most unique lodging experiences you can have - and check my profile, I have lots of reviews here, so this is not a rookie opinion.

the pros:
Mark and Lucy (American Managers) - friendly and a great source of information.
fresh coffee outside your door at 6 am
wonderfully unique breakfast cooked to order
lush, private setting in the rainforest.
felt very secure - locked gate, nighttime security
peaceful, lush grounds with lots of flora and fauna.

I cant think of a single point against this property - so unless you want city amenities close by, or big tv and internet access, you will not be disappointed with this property. It might be a bit more than local properties in town, but it is so worth it.

questions - contact me

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank marieatta_pman
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and three kids spent two nights in one of the tree houses. Managers and breakfast staff were great, always here to help, provide tips. The tree house was amazingly comfortable with aircon, electrical sockets, good beds .... I particularly liked the coffee brought at our door at 6am, hot shower with a great view on the surrounding trees. Nice walk in the property. Go for the night walk organized by the gardener, at 8pm (twice a week i think) were we saw many animals. Unfortunately no wifi in this property (no big deal as restaurant nearby has it).

I would stay away from the volcano trek, organized through them, priced at USD 385 for half a day - we found much much cheaper and equivalent at La Fortuna for USD 230 (and staying at the hotel straight at the volcano is even a better idea, for USD 165 inc breakfast and a free one hour tour with a guide in the morning, then good walkers can extend the park visit on their own).

Overall great experience, fantastic for romance or for families, kids will love it.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Not to be missed…we loved everything about this place, from the fantastical tree house to the breakfasts to the hikes. Within the first 20 minutes there, we saw monkeys, sloths, too many birds to name. Mark and Lucy are as wonderful as the reviews describe. Would return in a heartbeat- perfect for our family of 4 with 2 boys ages 10 and 13.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank beth2boyz
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Few things in life exceed expectations, but this place did. I booked this nearly a year in advance for the 1st 2 nights of our Easter Week trip to Costa Rica. I didn't tell my husband or 3 boys (ages 14, 11, 9) ahead of time that we were staying in a treehouse. We stayed in Sloth, directly across from the office. It is one of the closest to the road, and yes, we did hear road noise in the morning, but honestly it wasn't that big of a deal. Mostly we heard monkeys, birds, and other wildlife. Mark and Lucy are lovely people, and very helpful. The breakfasts (different every day) were really great, eaten outside at the "Rancho" surrounded by hummingbirds, aguiti, and other wildlife. The two trails are fun to walk and we saw a sloth, lots of frogs, an armadillo, birds, and our biggest surprise - a lost cow wandering through the property! We saw monkeys only high in the trees, but we heard them each morning. The treehouses are not large, but the 3 boys fit in the loft just fine, and our bed was very comfortable. The air conditioning worked great. My biggest surprise was how clean and bug free the treehouse was. As for location, it is quite a bit of a drive from LaFortuna, but I simply planned our activities around that. Proyecto Asis is less than a 5 minute drive away, and we did a raft trip on nearby Balsa River. The rafting people picked us up, and you get out of the river at the end just steps from the Treehouses, so that was very convenient. We saved our activities in LaFortuna for later in the week when we stayed at Los Lagos. I felt like combining Treehouses and Los Lagos was a good mix for us. The night hike was great, too, I just wish it started earlier. We werre so tired each day we had a hard time staying awake until its 8:00 pm start! If you are looking for a plush hotel, keep looking. But if you want a clean, fun, unique experience, stay in a Treehouse!

Room Tip: Sloth treehouses have upstairs loft for kids
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family