“"Had a wonderful time."”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Tree Houses Hotel Costa Rica
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our family spent 3 nights at the Hummingbird Treehouse and it was great. We have 3 teenagers and everyone had such a wonderful time. We were with friends of ours and this treehouse idea was theirs. Typically this isn't something our family would have even thought of but it was great. Mark, Lucy and the girls were very accommodating and always willing to help with our excursions. We saw monkeys, sloths and the hummingbirds were fascinating. The tree houses were very clean. The breakfasts were the best we had while in Costa Rica. Definitely a great experience and one we will never forget.

Room Tip: The Hummingbird is great for a family of five.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank heidi824

Reviewed May 30, 2013

A friend and I spent two nights at the treehouses and could not have been happier with it.

To echo what everyone else has already said: Mark and Lucy are thoughtful, helpful, and very friendly. The breakfasts in the morning were amazing. The rooms were so clean you couldn't believe the jungle was right outside. Mark took care of booking our ziplining and hiking trips for us, gave us excellent directions to our next destination and great advice.

We could easily have stayed here for twice as long.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dorothymonkey
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a great time with our kids (10, 8, 6.) We saw sloths, several different frogs and birds. Mark and Lucy were fantastic hosts and we loved the night walk with Rolando. The breakfasts were delicious and Mark and Lucy were great with recommendations for sightseeing and restaurants. From the Tree Houses we were able to easily visit the Arenal National Park and also the Arenal Hanging Bridges which the kids really liked.

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Adam R
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I spent 2 nights in the Frog Treehouse. It was a very cozy treehouse and perfectly fine for one person. The hosts, Lucy and Mark, were very kind and helpful. They greeted us at breakfast every morning and Lucy was thoughtful enough to give each guest his/her own gift bag of homemade cookies at one breakfast, a lovely touch. The cookies were EXCELLENT and you could tell they were made with heart. The breakfast was very good and each day it is different. Freshly made and seconds were always offered. The coffee delivered in the morning to your treehouse is a wonderful touch. As far as any negatives go, there are a few, but not enough to alter my opinion/rating. The hotel is not near a lot of "action", so if you want this then you may not be suited to stay here. The public bus into town is about a 45 minute ride and the cost is $2, very reasonable, plus you get to experience the locals. The bus stop is about 150 meters from the gate to the hotel. There is not much "to do" at night, so if you cannot just exist in the peace of the jungle with a book or conversation, then this may not be the place for you. The treehouse I stayed in was near the road and was noisier than I would have liked. I kept the air on and wore earplugs (I am a VERY light sleeper). The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. There was a bit of "dampness" in the air but I think that should be expected whilst staying in the middle of the jungle. I am quite picky and this place passed my tests. It was different and it was away from the fervour of town, both nice things.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Larmoss
Reviewed May 23, 2013

In researching places to go for our honeymoon, I was encouraged to seriously consider Costa Rica. So I did. Best. Advice. EVER.

I actually happened upon the Tree Houses Hotel by accident. We looked at the website, read a ton of reviews on Trip Advisor, and booked the trip.

First and foremost, you will never stay in a property managed by better folks than Mark and Lucy. They are amazingly kind and wonderful people. I'm pretty sure I peppered Mark with 10,000 or so emails in the weeks and months leading up to our trip. With his help, we got a great deal on a rental car and went on some amazing excursions. Mark and Lucy greeted us every morning at breakfast to see how the previous day's outing went and to see if we needed anything for our tree house.

We stayed in the Toucan Tree House. It was lovely. When we weren't on an outing, we hung out in the tree house reading and listening to all the sounds of the rain forest. It is literally like being inside a sound machine. Truly one of the most relaxing experiences of my life. And, the daily breakfasts were unbelievably delicious. The fruit and coffee alone were worth waking up every morning!

The drive to Fortuna is scenic, and there are tons of things to see and do in the area. It's a great place to visit.

Our goal was to go on a honeymoon that would take us on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to a place we had never been before. We didn't want a cookie-cutter, all-inclusive resort type honeymoon. That's not our style.

What we got exceeded our expectations on every level.

If you're thinking about going, do it. You'll be so glad you did.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Angela J
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I'm going to speak frankly here... I saw more wildlife on my first day at Tree Houses Hotel than I've ever seen in my life! It was the most amazing experience sitting on the balcony of your own tree house and seeing wildlife in its natural environment. Btw, the tree houses are beautiful, and well maintained. Tree Houses have field guide sheets available to help you identify pretty much everything you see. Mark and Lucy are exceptional hosts who LOVE what they do, and the staff is top notch. Not to mention the coffee at your door every morning. They also support street dogs, a good cause! It was a one stop shop for us as I discovered my cell phone proved to be nothing more than a paperweight. Mark handled arraigning all of our tours and transportation which all occurred seamlessly.
I highly recommend Tree Houses Hotel !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Terry S
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We spent three nights and fun filled days at the Tree House and left thinking it was too soon. The location of the hotel is great for Arenal area day trips (we rented a car from the airport which we highly recommend - beautiful scenery once outside San Jose - splurge for the GPS). The breakfasts are as wonderful as people say and Mark is an exceptional coordinator/travel guide. We worked together through e-mail, his response time was amazing!, prior to our trip to carve out an itinerary that worked for my husband and I and our 11 year-old son. Everything he suggested was spot on and we had a fantastic time. We didn't spend as much time at the Tree house due to our busy schedule but coming back each evening to such a serene place (yes, we heard the trucks/road noise but one quickly gets used to it with all the other sounds of nature's orchestra) to relax and sleep was terrific. Waking up to the sounds of the Howler monkeys was the highlight of our mornings. The night walk is a must, we saw a lot of interesting things and the hikes on the property were also lovely. Our only regret was that we missed the fruit and bird display at our own tree house on the day we were leaving (due to our early morning departures, it was only planned for us on that one morning). Some how the fruit was not left outside our treehouse. At least we got to see all the hummingbirds at breakfast each morning and what a show that was!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank REDUSA
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
13 mi away
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
#5 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#11 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 65 in Arenal Volcano National Park

Been to Tree Houses Hotel Costa Rica? Share your experiences!